PDA

View Full Version : Sorta new to casting, but new to this forum.

Vstrom
11-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I have done some casting for a 44 mag a long time ago I have to shoot lead indoors and I an amazed at the price now for hard cast bullet's!! Thinking of casting my own. I did a search but did not find a noob check list for starting. I kept the RCBS lubber, but thats all I have. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I will cast only for pistols. :Fire::mrgreen:

pumpguy
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
First off welcome! You can get started pretty easily with a 20# pro melter from lee, a lead dipper from Lyman and the mold of your choice. From there, you need to decide what you are going to cast your boolits from. Used wheel weights are the easiest and usually the cheapest. That is starting to change somewhat, though. You might want to strike up relationship with the local tire store. They used to give them away for free, but now, they are starting to charge for them. I personally will not pay more than $25 for a bucket and it better be mostly WWs and not a ton of valve stems and chew. Beyond that, I would peruse the old threads around here and see if you can get some of your answers. Good Luck!!!

dromia
11-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Welcome Vstrom.

Ditto pumpguy, go cheap at first 'till you get some casting time under your belt and then you'll start having your own views on kit process etc.

Lots of good stuff here so search, read and learn. I'm still doing that here and I've been Boolit casting and shooting for decades, with the people around here I still feel a beginner.

testhop
11-20-2007, 08:43 AM
i would only add that if you are going to load pistol than you have more lea way on the hardness of lead bbeing you shoot in doors you might sweet talk the range to let you clean up some and make sure you get to the pit and be a good worker and clean up all that lead also you might looking for outher shooting spots pick up all the range lead you can of course
you can mix it with ww to get the hardness you want

tom

Buckshot
11-21-2007, 03:11 AM
.............You have the lube-sizer, so I'd get the Lee 20lb pot. For lube, check the bottom of the page for Lars. I really like his Carnauba Red. While it isn't a REAL heat type lube it does require a bit of heat to get it to flow well. He also has regular NRA formula type too. Then get a bottle Of Bullshop's Bullplate lube (bottom of the page again.

If Lee has a design you like in their 6 cavity moulds, I'd do that. If not, just get what appears will do the best for ya, or what you had been using before.

...............Buckshot

Vstrom
11-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Thank you all for your advise! Looking forward to the perfect cast bullet!:drinks:

Bret4207
11-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Go to the "Shooters" board and at the top there is a "Classics and Stickys" section. If you look in there you'll find a couple threads on getting started. Welcome to the clan!