PDA

View Full Version : What would a 2-digit peacemaker be worth?

JuliettDeltaGolf
12-02-2013, 07:27 PM
By brother has a line on a too-good-to-be true deal. A peacemaker, cavalry-length, .45, serial number 52. IF, in a one-in-a-billion chance it is what it's owner says it is, what would it be worth? It is supposedly shootable, condition being a "5 on a scale of 1 to 10", and the asking price is $1,200. An old man selling a lot of his old guns, at the prices he gave for them over the years...

Mack Congail
12-02-2013, 07:31 PM
A 2-digit peacemaker would be "priceless" to me.

scattershot
12-02-2013, 08:00 PM
With a number that low, it would be worth a professional appraisal. For $1200, I'd snap it up because any Peacemaker is worth that.

waksupi
12-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Right for the pro appraisal. Lots of fakes floating around. However, the price isn't too bad.

Come to think of it, I think the serial #'s usually started at 1000 or some other arbitrary number.

JuliettDeltaGolf
12-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Right for the pro appraisal. Lots of fakes floating around. However, the price isn't too bad.

Come to think of it, I think the serial #'s usually started at 1000 or some other arbitrary number.

Good word on fakes... best to give it a hard look. Although, on the starting numbers... I have seen 3-digit numbers on Rock Island Auction's site and others...

waco
12-02-2013, 09:51 PM

I'm with Waksupi on this one. Sounds to good to be true.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-02-2013, 09:56 PM
$10,000.00 but I'll bet it's a fraud.

ReloaderFred
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
I handled Serial #2 at the Great Western Gun Show at the Pomona Fairgrounds in about 1985 or 86. It sold at auction right after the show, and the selling price was astronomical at the time, but I don't remember exactly what it was. A guy I used to work with was an avid Colt collector, and knew the guy who owned it at that time.

Three years ago, the Cabela's store in Reno, NV had a SAA Army listed for $28,000 in the gun vault. It had been purchased from a local couple, and when Cabela's sent off for a letter from the Cody Museum, it came back as inventoried into the 7th Calvary armory at the time of Custer's defeat at the Little Bighorn, but they didn't know if it had been there, or not. The gun sold to a collector through another Cabela's store in about two weeks from the time I saw it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Silver Jack Hammer
12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
I'd really have to examine it, but I would seek out an expert if I were you. I can give you some names of Colt Collector's if you wish. Check the bottom edge of the frame where the trigger guard is. Take a straight edge to the frame and see if there is any evidence that metal has been removed where the serial number is. There are lots of publications describing the very early Colt SAA's and how they came from the factory, see if this one varies from the descriptions of the ones produced within that serial number range. The hammers were case hardened solid firing pins, one piece walnut stocks, the front sights were German Silver, the caliber was stamped on the trigger guard, there was no rampant Colt stamped on the frame, the rear sight was a V notch, the base pin was held in by a screw rather than a spring tension pin. I have books I could look up for you, have to do it later though. Let me know if you wish.

9.3X62AL
12-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I would love to just SEE such an example. Afford it? HA! Only in my dreams. I'm not at home, but have James Serven's 1954-vintage guidebook at home. When I return home Friday, I can see what Serven had to say on the subject......but I doubt it is as detailed as the text Silver Jack gave just above. This sort of data on the SAA is WAY above my pay grade and experience. I can't over-emphasize the need to have a bona fide expert examine the example. It would be a fee well-spent.

savagetactical
12-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Well if it were me I would have it checked out by an acknowledged expert. Lots of fakes when it comes to SAA collecting and Winchester lever guns from that time frame.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-04-2013, 10:14 AM
The cylinders of the first year Colt's did not have approaches in the stop notches. Cylinder approach notches on that Colt suspected of being a first year could indicate that a new cylinder has been fitted, which would not be unusual.

pmer
12-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Like 9.3 says, I'm hoping to see pictures too.

khmer6
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Be aware of fakes. But off the top of my head I think they were valued at lot less than we would hope for. $5k off the top depending on condition. But for 1200 if its legit I'd snap it up and take to someone who really knows their stuff

contender1
12-04-2013, 10:46 AM
If it's an honest to gosh Colt SAA, then if nothing more, it's worth $1200 as a shooter. I'd buy it, and then take it to be professionally appraised & studied. A letter from the Cody museum would be in order as well.
As noted, many fakes out there, but even if it's faked 3rd gen, it's still worth $1200 as a shooter.

missionary5155
12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Greetings
Just looked in some books.. all say get a professional opinion.
Pinched frame models were # 1-160 7.5 inch barrels and many to those serial #'s have been faked.
But a real "pinched frame" that is not restamped, refinished and with origonal parts is 5 didgets ($$$$$) and up depending on condition and if functioning properly. You could read for hours just on the pinched frame model.
Mike in Peru

smkummer
12-04-2013, 10:42 PM
the rear sight was a V notch, [/QUOTE] This early of a SAA was called a "pinch frame" for the rear sight.

MtGun44
12-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Here are some pix of a SAA with 161 SN.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-single-action-army-pinch-frame-c8718/#.UqAcD_2x7IU

For a general idea of what it should look like.

Bill