PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here do airsoft?

MOcaster
12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
I have a few questions about bbs and I wondered if anyone here was an airsofter. I don't personally play/shoot airsoft but I want to use the bbs as tips on 22 cal bullets that I swage. What are the softest bbs I can buy? I bought some CYMA bbs and they shattered when I smashed them in the vice. I have some Crosman glow in the dark bbs that are pretty soft but they only come in green tinged white. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zymurgy50
12-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Mmmmm, glow in the dark ballistic tips,,,,,,, better call Nosler with a new idea for zombie ammo...

You might be better off looking for a supply of nylon or thermoplastic balls of a smaller diameter (check Dave Corbins website for an example).
I played with a couple different brands of airsoft bb's and couldnt find one that worked. Trying to swage a 6mm sphere down to .224 just doesnt seem to work for me.

rondog
12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I'd like to know if airsofts are safe to terrorize squirrels with! Got a bird feeder about 10 ft. from my kitchen window and I have hell with the stupid squirrels. My pellet rifle is too fatal for them, I'll end up getting in trouble, ain't worth it. I just want to sting the snot out of 'em and discourage them from coming around.

MOcaster
12-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Airsoft will do that, I know. You can get weak, cheap Walmart guns all the way up to $300, 700+ fps guns. I knew Corbin's sold the bullet balls but airsoft bbs are a lot cheaper. To swage them, first I run them through my core swage die so they will slide into the jacket to be point formed. Some of the plastic is sheared off in the process.

bangerjim
12-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I own a LOT of airsoft guns.......NOT the toys you find in WalFart or Big 5 Sports.

How about a SIG look/feel alike with ~500 fps? Or other popular handguns in airsoft. Great for training! They all have removable mags just like the real guns I have. They act and feel like the real thing and are made of 100% metal....not plastic. They use propane gas as the power, not a lousy spring.

The 12gram pellets are the lightest & softest. The black ones are the heaviest and hardest (what I use). You can even get aluminum 6mm balls on Ebay. Talk about take-down power for your squirrels!

I have an AR15 style that shoots about 450fps and over 800 RPM.

They are fun and LEGAL to shoot in town.

Any questions, ask.

banger

44Vaquero
12-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Most of the cheap Air Soft BB's are very brittle. Some of the more expensive types may be softer, you may want to try the Bio-degradable type. I doubt any will be softer than the glow in the dark ones. Expensive Air-Soft guns use 20 gram polished BB's and it is never recommended to reuse them because the full auto mechanism's are somewhat delicate and will jamb with less than perfect shot.

I have several types of Air-soft guns including home-made full auto's and most all of them shatter any type of BB's with the exception of the mentioned Glow in the dark ones.

Multigunner
12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
The Enertia Black BBs I used to buy seem shatter resistant. They are maleable enough that I've fired them in a .22 CO2 pistol. They did not get stuck and apparently conformed to the smaller bore and took the spin from the rifling.

The cheap .12 weight BBs are usually brittle.

Remember that Airsoft BBs are 6mm a bit larger than a .22 bullet.

MOcaster
12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks everybody for their help. I just got 5000 Crosman glow in the dark bbs on eBay for $13 so I think I will be set for a looooong time swaging.

Thundermaker
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I've been gluing them into .45 HPs for years.

Silver Eagle
12-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Remember Airsoft BB weights are fractions of a gram. The lightest is generally .12 gram with the heaviest in plastic being .25 gram. The aluminum ones are a bit heavier. The plastic in most is pretty brittle. A little heat (toaster oven maybe?) might soften them up enough for swaging in HP's.
I remember as a kid having a gun that fired real soft plastic bb's of about Airsoft size. No longer remember the name or have the toy.

rondog
12-03-2013, 03:31 AM
I remember as a kid having a gun that fired real soft plastic bb's of about Airsoft size. No longer remember the name or have the toy.

Sekiden pistol, I remember those! Look it up on Google Images.

44Vaquero
12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
These are the ones that I remember from the late 60's early 70's. They never lasted long but they sure were fun!

bangerjim
12-03-2013, 03:09 PM
The Enertia Black BBs I used to buy seem shatter resistant. They are maleable enough that I've fired them in a .22 CO2 pistol. They did not get stuck and apparently conformed to the smaller bore and took the spin from the rifling.

The cheap .12 weight BBs are usually brittle.
Remember that Airsoft BBs are 6mm a bit larger than a .22 bullet.

The 12 BBs are not really soft, they are just made of a different more brittle alloy plastic to achieve that low weight. Mainly for kid's toys. They have virtually NO long distance accuracy due to weight....even using a hop-up system.

The black 25 BBs.......that is a different story. They are pretty accurate at ~120 feet or more. I use only the accurate polished ones. That is if you are using an expensive "NOT A TOY" non-plastic gun that has high muzzle velocities. I have about 8 of those and they are really fun to shoot.

Then there is the 30 weight AL BBs! Those are for ONLY hunting small animals with powerful non-springers. Dangerous...do NOT shoot at pets or people! Usually fired with gas-powered rifles. Fun to shoot! I do have a bolt action sniper rifle that uses piston/spring power and can send those babies over 250 feet pretty accurately.

banger

45 Bravo
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Um, they sell some .43's that are non metalic
Madbull, and matrix sell them.

http://www.evike.com/products/32105/

45 Bravo
12-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Here are a few of mine.

It is all in the name of fun.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OsokRJScnIQ

http://i39.tinypic.com/1672s10.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2wf4lmb.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/148g5j6.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2vjbsxg.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/zwi4x0.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/dy17x3.jpg

bangerjim
12-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Um, they sell some .43's that are non metalic
Madbull, and matrix sell them.

http://www.evike.com/products/32105/

That's the 1st of those I have seen! I do not normally buy stuff off the net....like to keep the $$ in my home state as I, too, am a local businessman. No one locally sells them.

But those look interesting!

thanks for point them out.

banger

45 Bravo
12-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I prefer to buy locally too, but the closest dedicated airsoft store is Nashville, 4 1/2 hours away..

The heaviest I use is .25, none of my stuff is set up for heavier..

Too many hobbies, not enough money...

GARD72977
12-05-2013, 01:16 AM
I guess I do now. I bought my stepdaughter the Socom Oasis. Its replica of a Ruger MKIII. She will be 16 soon and is very small. Its was hard to find a quality gun because most are replicas and much larger grips. It has adjustable hop up and rated at 400-420 fps with .20gr . Im hoping it is accurate enough for 10m target practice. It has adjustable sights and a good sight radius. I never thought I would be into air guns and now im buying airsoft guns.

MBTcustom
12-05-2013, 01:49 AM
How about a SIG look/feel alike with ~500 fps?

I have been personally shot in the head with one of those at point blank range in a air soft "battle". I bled for a while LOL!

Now, I don't personally own any, nor use them, but I got my little brother hooked on them when he was a kid. Now he's 21 and he's about the best airsmith in the country IMHO.
If you ever want the best, PM me and I'll get you in touch with him. You really have to see it to fully appreciate it. He can build an M4 airsoft that will make the opposing team wiz down both legs. Like paper plate at 75 yards kind of accurate, 600RPM cyclic rate (personally, I think that's a low figure. His guns absolutely rip out the BB's)
He built a sniper rifle a few years ago and he was tagging a paper plate at 100 yards with it. In fact, he uploaded a video of him doing just that on youtube.
He is as proficient with the airsoft as I am with the real thing. A true master. He's a pretty fine artist too. It was him that painted the rifle I built for lovelife.
Yeah I'm bragging on him pretty large, but I don't give out praise easily, and he earned every bit of what I just wrote. It's rare to find a true craftsman these days, and finding a smith that specializes in airsoft and has taken it to the level he has, has got to be a very rare thing.
He's done so well considering his handicap (he lost his left eye year before last in a knife throwing accident) We call him Bullseye.
I just really want to see him succeed, and his skill in this area is truly astounding.
Anyway, sorry for bragging, I just never thought I would see a thread on airsoft on castboolits!

Multigunner
12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
My UHC (Unicorn Hobby Company) 1911 and Beretta model airsoft springers are very well made for low priced guns.
These have aluminum barrels and the mechanisms are fairly realistic. The barrel jacket of the 1911 tilts when the slide is retracted in a realistic manner and both thumb safety and grip safety work.

The UHC pistols are South Korean copies of the much more expensive Mariu Japanese brand.
They come with a fairly light spring and are intended for use with the .12 BB, but I replaced the springs with more powerful springs salvaged from old cheapo airsoft pistols.
This brought performance up equal to the Mariu originals.
I use .20 and .25 BBs, both of which work fine. The .20 allows a flatter trajectory and longer range but the .25 is okay at the ranges I shoot and gives much tighter groups.

I have an old Chicago Typewriter Thompson replica that gave very good velocity for a springer. It was good for 25 yards or more. At close range it would shoot through both sides of an aluminum can full of water.

I'd like to see the old Daisy .118 and Rodgers .177 all metal BBs pistols re produced in 6mm. These pistols were well designed but just didn't have a big enough cylinder and piston to drive steel BBs to a decent velocity.

45 Bravo
12-06-2013, 12:07 AM
(he lost his left eye year before last in a knife throwing accident) We call him Bullseye.
!

I would like to hear the story behind that...
(Note to self, never be the assistant in a knife throwing act...)

45 Bravo
12-06-2013, 12:09 AM
The socom ruger mark I (there was no slide release on the markI, just on the markII and mark III)
Is capable of good accuracy, not 10meter match good, but still good and powerful..

You can shoot holes in a coke can all day long..

bikerbeans
12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I'd like to know if airsofts are safe to terrorize squirrels with! Got a bird feeder about 10 ft. from my kitchen window and I have hell with the stupid squirrels. My pellet rifle is too fatal for them, I'll end up getting in trouble, ain't worth it. I just want to sting the snot out of 'em and discourage them from coming around.

rondog,

My son has been into Airsoft big time for about 15 years. He has some very tricked out guns. He has a single shot "sniper rifle" they will do a pass through on an empty aluminum beer can @ 30 yards. I think a headshot at the distance to your feeder would take care of the squirrel problem. FWIW, his "team" has a couple of Airsoft armorers that build their "guns". You will not find what he has at Wallyworld.

BB

rondog
12-10-2013, 11:10 PM
rondog,

My son has been into Airsoft big time for about 15 years. He has some very tricked out guns. He has a single shot "sniper rifle" they will do a pass through on an empty aluminum beer can @ 30 yards. I think a headshot at the distance to your feeder would take care of the squirrel problem. FWIW, his "team" has a couple of Airsoft armorers that build their "guns". You will not find what he has at Wallyworld.

BB

I think you misunderstood me - I DON'T want to kill or injure the squirrels, I just want to send them away shrieking with a big welt on their asses. I want them to go tear up someone else's bird feeders.

I live in suburbia, with too many yuppies and kids nearby, and an elementary school real close. My Daisy 880 will kill them just fine, but they ARE game animals after all, and snuffing them in the front yard from the kitchen window is surely frowned upon.

RPRNY
12-11-2013, 12:10 AM
If you want the squirrels to bugger-off, you need to kill them. When you've put 10 or so down, word gets out and they assume a perimiter. Hitting them with non lethal airsoft doesn't teach them. But it will be amusing and probably won't get you in too much trouble with the police when crazy neighbor lady sees you out and freaks out.

rondog
12-11-2013, 12:20 AM
If you want the squirrels to bugger-off, you need to kill them. When you've put 10 or so down, word gets out and they assume a perimiter. Hitting them with non lethal airsoft doesn't teach them. But it will be amusing and probably won't get you in too much trouble with the police when crazy neighbor lady sees you out and freaks out.

Oh, there's been a LOT more than 10 of them "leave the neighborhood", but they keep coming. If I have to sting them repeatedly, well hey, sounds like a good time!

I'm quite fond of 1911's, so those M1911A1 airsoft pistols are calling to me.....I've also found there's an airsoft store nearby, God help me.

Multigunner
12-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Oh, there's been a LOT more than 10 of them "leave the neighborhood", but they keep coming. If I have to sting them repeatedly, well hey, sounds like a good time!

I'm quite fond of 1911's, so those M1911A1 airsoft pistols are calling to me.....I've also found there's an airsoft store nearby, God help me.

Years ago I kept hearing a rustling noise above the ceiling of my bedroom. Later on when a heavy rain storm came up and the lights went out I went to flip the breakers back on and looked up to see about 20 very wet squirrels carefully crawling along my power line to the house and nimbly swinging off and scurrying through a small hole under the roof. Had the hole plugged up soon afterwards.

My backyard has been host to an amazing array of animals over the years. Two fighting cocks and a hen showed up for awhile, and on two occasions many years apart I've found giant Walloon rabbits that had escaped from a breeder several blocks away.
A large flock of some sort of south American chicken had the run of the place for awhile. At least one 160 lb Black Bear got in through the old fence and was tranked out of tree down the street the next day.
I suspect other Blackies have taken a short cut through my yard before I put up a new fence with extra thick panels solidly screwed to the stringers.

I can see how popping a small animal in the backside with the plastic BBs would teach them to look for greener pastures.
A friend used a old Daisy BBs gun to discourage two large Red Tail Hawks that were trying to steal his dog's new puppies. The dog put up a good fight protecting her young but the hawks tore her up pretty badly.

I'd never shoot at a cat with any sort of BB. There are few things so disturbing to me as a one eyed cat.
If I had to I'd kill a cat but I would not risk blinding one.
A girl friend had an old tom cat who got shot in the base of the tail by a pellet gun or possibly a .22.
She bandaged it up nicely and was always checking to see if it was getting better.
One day she was examining the cat's tail and it just came off in her hand. You should have seen her expression.

nekshot
12-11-2013, 09:50 AM
my son is into air soft games. Some saturdays alot of kids are running around our place doing the game thing. He had mostly walmart kinda guns and then we got him a top end m4 look alike. Wow, it is a metal shooting machine. I often wondered if you would seperate the lower and upper if a real upper would fit on. Every thing is as the real deal on the lower from what I can tell.