PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to All The Cheap Muzzleloader Pistols?

Jon
12-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I used to see ML pistol kits in the back of Guns and Ammo for $30. Oddly enough, I can buy a 1858 Remington copy for half what they are asking for "Kit" pistols these days.

What happened? Was there no demand?

dbosman
12-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Just guesses or hypothesis.
1) Laws vary, some of the purchasers found out they were in violation, after the purchase. A couple of them probably sued everyone and every company involved in any way.

2) Liability issues for the manufacturer or reseller.

Fly
12-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Yea! it use to be no one wanted these guns.Mabe the Obama gun control **** has
blead over to these pistols.I hate it if that's the case.I have a remy 1858 as my
main home defense pistol.

Fly

waksupi
12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Price and quality of parts went up. Some of the parts used to be of very questionable quality. Costs darn near as much to build a pistol as a rifle now.

Fly
12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes but the quality is because of CNC machines & CMM QC.If anything that should lower cost.
Being a tool & die maker I watched this in every industry from the 1980 onto today.

Fly

Jon
12-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I understand the cost of parts going up, but there is much more machining in a revolver than a caplock .50 ML. You would think that they would be at least roughly the same price or less.

fouronesix
12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm with you about what happened?? No way a simple ML "Kentucky" pistol or kit is equivalent cost to a revolver. I know in the 70s a ton were sold and imported by a bunch of different companies both as finished and in kit form. Many of them are probably in questionable condition sitting in drawers or closets. Many of them of lesser quality. Now and then one in unassembled kit form will surface that is still in the box or is partially finished but in unfired condition.

May be that most seen now are from companies like Pedersoli that are finished and of higher quality so demand a higher price tag. Also, the lack of demand for that particular type ML has eliminated most competition, including that of the lesser or cheaper manufacturers. I bought one of those kits in the early 70s, for about $30 IIRC, put it together and still have it today. Very good shooter by the way.

dbosman
12-03-2013, 05:05 PM
A gap in the market is someones manufacturing opportunity.

Wooly
12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
They blew up. Couldn't resist that ! I'm sure you meant inexpensive. It seems everything is going up but my paycheck. Maybe used is the solution ?

Gary Carter
12-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Found an unassembled CVA pistol kit and a CVA shooters kit that is still in the shrink wrap at a second had store last year for $35, both dated 1978. Had not seen either for years, about broke my arm writing the check. Still need to sit down and put the pistol together. The shooter kit I am going leave unopened as I already have the stuff without opening them.

bigted
12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
i am shocked at the general price of the c&b revolvers BUT ...

i would gladly pay a bit more to get the workmanship generally conducted with these Italian revolvers. i just was out shooting my 5.5 inch '62' 36. with just a little loving on the inside of everything i assembled a smooth revolver that functions flawlessly and is a joy to shoot. my revolver will shoot at least 30 shots and still wants to go with shooting to point of aim to boot. i really like this revolver and when i get the "i wants" i just go shoot this sweety {Pietta} and i fall in love with it deeper then ever and thusly get over the "i want" in favor of getting more supply's together for the next outing with this neat revolver.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-07-2013, 08:31 AM
The rise in the quality firearms as demanded by the cowboy sports participants has matured into providing first class arms, rather than the 70's Dixie carp for totally unsophisticated shooters.

BvT