PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU attract deer?

Silvercreek Farmer
12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
With all these deer falling to CBs I though it might be interesting to see how everyone was bringing them in. Last year the owner of the property I hunt had a fall garden so I guess I was "hunting over crops". This year he didn't so after hunting a few times without seeing anything he threw out a little corn, but I don't think any had found it yet, I just got lucky.

w5pv
12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Al ot of it is being smarter than the salesman that want to sell you a lot of stuff you don't need,

DxieLandMan
12-02-2013, 04:27 PM
In Alabama most of my time is spent in a deer stand waiting for a deer to come by.

sixshot
12-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Baiting of any kind is illegal in Idaho for big game, that includes salt. Most places I've been in Texas use corn or something similar in their feeders.

Dick

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 05:46 PM
For moose, you just sit and hope one walks into the field Im watching that is legal to shoot.

The couple times that I have been deer hunting was pretty much the same way, although when caribou hunting, it was more of ride around on a snow machine until i found a herd then pick one and shoot it.

Friends call me Pac
12-02-2013, 05:50 PM
No baiting on public land here in Arkansas. I don't have any land other than my yard so public is where I go. Got to know how to beat them at their own game of hide and seek.

dragon813gt
12-02-2013, 06:04 PM
No baiting in PA including salt licks. All licks and traces of food(you're allowed to feed out of season) need to be removed thirty days prior to archery opening in late September. That being said people get around it w/ food plots. Most keep it high fenced until this time of year when rifle season starts. I hunt on a farm. This year was soybeans which didn't bring them in. Last year was corn and they were bedding down in it and using it as a food source. The trick is to get there when the combine is running. It's like a dinner bell going off. I've never seen that many deer in the field at once.

Smoke4320
12-02-2013, 06:36 PM
peanut butter .. tie a small rod to a string making a T shape .. thread string thru bottom of jar hang on limb open end down and look out ....Deer love it
plus some Sure kill doe in heat scent in a 35 MM film canister with cloth as a wick

Digital Dan
12-02-2013, 07:18 PM
They are drawn to my magnetic personality whilst stalking.

357maximum
12-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmmm...let's see....I spent about $80,000 and several years worth of toil to take what used to be a 23 acre farm field of bare dirt and convert it into a spruce/grass/shrub laden oasis. I am surrounded by a near desert of harvested crop fields come season so my little island is a good place for them to stop, eat and rest a bit....most spend their time here unmolested, but the ones I want to shoot rest in pieces in my deep freeze. :mrgreen: In a food rich environment a bedroom is what they seek more than anything else apparently. I sit above the bedroom in an elevated treestand or my "shack" and wait til I find one I want. Wandering around hunting in this area will get you trespassing charges or a bullet depending on where you wander.

Catsmith
12-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Early season sut under acorn trees. Rut sit just off of active scrape. Late season green brouse cause they are trying to fatten back up after rut. If i bate for kids i keep rice bran out.

Wolfer
12-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Where I hunt on public ground it's really brushy. So brushy the deer tend to have trails they use. I just set up a few yards off where two or five trails come together. This way I have some control over the distance I shoot since I mostly hunt with a 45 colt.
Here at home I tend to know where the deer travel and just set up accordingly. Woody

longhorn
12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Anything my wife buys from a nursery seems to irresistible to the whitetails! Corn is far and away the most popular attractant in Texas. Whacking deer at a feeder isn't exactly what Jack O'Connor used to write about, but it's actually a form of varmint control around here

nekshot
12-02-2013, 08:22 PM
40 years ago archery hunting I started tuning in to deer as they communicated. At first I thought a pig was around somewhere. Many calls later I have a call that really works and most of my deer are now taken as a result of calling. I called in two nice buck this year but could not get a clear shot. One was with a hot doe and it is hard to seperate them when the passions are high!

CastingFool
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I basically sit and watch. There is a natural travel corridor from farm crops , right through my property, to a bedding area and water. Usually, I sit for about 3 hrs in the morning and 3 hrs in the afternoon. There isn't much movement between those times. I have thought of putting in a food plot (although baiting for deer is legal in MI) but other things take up my time and money. The best time to hunt my property is during the rut. That's when I see the most bucks during the day.

missionary5155
12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Greetings
Before I leave my car I rub down my boots, outer garments and bow stuff with apples. Half rotten work the best. When I am within 50 feet of my stand for the day I repeat my boots especially the soles. I have had deer tract me. Deer have licked the screw in steps on my tree stand.
Deer love apples so why not smell like one. But do be carefull when ground hunting. They will sneek up on you. This works real well in East ILLinois river bottoms and woody areas where I hunt.
Mike in Peru

TES
12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
free pistol ammo to a buddy that hunts..It's so warm in my loading shack!

waksupi
12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
My most effective method it to lean my rifle against a tree. Move away at least 20 feet. Drop my trousers, and hang my nether regions over a log. I also hang a bit of toilet paper from a branch as a white tail imitator.

Works every time.

bangerjim
12-03-2013, 01:06 AM
I used a diamond ring, a good engineering job, and money to attract my dear.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA........!

Oh.......sorry........wrong spelling!

Never mind!

banger

35 shooter
12-03-2013, 02:07 AM
My most effective method it to lean my rifle against a tree. Move away at least 20 feet. Drop my trousers, and hang my nether regions over a log. I also hang a bit of toilet paper from a branch as a white tail imitator.

Works every time.

waksupi i've found that very technique works on a wide variety of game.
You know, it never fails, i don't care what kind of day a fellow's had, you read through cast boolits forums and you'll go to bed with a smile on your face!:drinks: Yep.

winelover
12-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a small food plot on my 26 acres to keep them interested. Don't like to hunt over it, but tree-stands are within 50 - 100 yards. It's been my experience that deer are extremely antsy, when they enter a concentrated food source and tend to visit just as good shooting light fades. I try to intercept them coming or going.

Depending on the timing of the season, I will rattle, grunt and use doe estrus calls. I've seen at least five different bucks, this season, most of which I called in. Three days before our modern gun season opened, I called in a real nice one but couldn't get him in bow range. I took a 7 point, with a ROA, during muzzle-loading.

Our gun season is three weeks long. I hunted most every day, at various times of day. I saw a total of three deer and they were together. When the leaves drop, the sightings do too! Just have to be there when they decide to show up.

Winelover

alrighty
12-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Deer are plentiful where I hunt but corn is probably the most effective attractant that I know of.The key is finding an area that attracts the deer for whatever reason.

Blammer
12-03-2013, 10:22 PM
you forgot one option...

act like a nut!

Reg
12-04-2013, 12:58 AM
I live in a very rural area so that helps a lot for starters. I usually keep an eye on not only the deer but all the wild critters all year long. Is the year dry or wet, it makes a big difference. About a month before the season it's walking time. Get out. Where are they. Baiting is not allowed here but they do have to eat. First get permission from ALL the land owners, let them know you are looking, a simple courtesy call makes a big difference. I make homemade wine and hand it out to everyone who lets me hunt. If I am successful, thats worth a 12 pack of Coors over and above.
Walk , look and keep looking. Where do the eat, drink and hop over a fence. Any of those places are a good ambush point. Deer tend to be creatures of habit unless disturbed. Be adaptive with your blind. I have even gone so far as to lay flat on the ground and cover myself with artillery netting. Don't laugh, it works. Just stay away from ant hills. I have found out that deer will move long distances according to water. Last year I bet there wasn't 20 deer in our unit but we were in a real bad drought. This year they were all over the place but moved out after the corn was cut.
In my experience, I have found that you cannot just go out on opening morning, smear some stinkum on your boots and hope for the best. It takes homework and lots of it and even then there is a certain degree of luck involved. Did I tell you about the time I left my shells in the pickup !!!

leeggen
12-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Here in Tn. our farm is loaded with deer.So I have began to hunt with no cover scent and no camos on. When I was useing scent they would walk right up to you just a couple feet away, that is if my nerves would alow it. So to make the hunt more challening.,I quit using any hind of scentEven got the boys doing the samething. I go in levies and tshirt with light weight jacket on. So far every year I have gotten a deer in the first week.Sometimed in doe season and sometimes in buck. That type of hunt is very challenging.
An my good looks keeps me with my best dear.
CD

9.3X62AL
12-04-2013, 04:26 AM
My key is to find their day beds in the pre-season, usually at timber edges. Water is KEY around here--there is seldom any rain prior to deer season locally, other than summer cloudbursts that create flash floods but add little or no standing or flowing water. Find the local water source--usually a perennial stream--and position yourself between the water source and their bedding areas, adjacent to an access path if you locate one. I try to get in place an hour before sun-up, or 3 hours prior to sundown, and keep my scent downwind of my hide spot. In the morning, I wrap this up before 9 A.M.

If I'm feeling REALLY ambitious, I will still-hunt the bedding areas during mid-day until it's time to re-set my ambush as above. Alternately--and more productively, in a net freezer-fill quotient--I stream-fish the water source with a sideiron on board through mid day. Trout are generally easier to take than deer. I have jumped a couple deer at stream-side, but always does or fawns of the year. I can't recall a doe season ever happening since I started deer-chasing in CA in 1967, so the does are not very people-shy. Muleys and blacktails don't seem to be as sneaky--stealthy--or as shy as whitetails.

Hunting deer over set bait is illegal here. I avoid horse-camping areas for this reason--there is scattered alfalfa hay on the ground, and some enterprising warden might conclude that staking out such areas for hatracks is poor form.

merlin101
12-04-2013, 05:09 AM
I just sit and watch the pine trees I planted down an old logging road, they seem to love up-rooting them.:-?

snoopy
12-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Hunt travel areas to and from feed and water, Don't believe in the corn feeder thing. I'm not opposed fo food plots though. Have done some rattling. Definitely walk your hunting ground early.

jaysouth
12-04-2013, 09:03 PM
I just plant azelia bushes, and peach and apple trees. The more expensive the shrub, the more they attract deer.

In some places, hunting deer is varmit control. I can see the day that they get so numerous that we can trap them like rabbits.

KYShooter73
12-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I take a friend or relative with me. They shoot one and call me right to it to gut, drag, and butcher. It's worked perfectly 3 years in a row!

Baron von Trollwhack
12-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Like all wild critters, it is two things, food/water source throughout the varying year, and MATING ! Know both about your quarry and fill yer tags.

BvT

wallenba
12-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't hunt them (because I'm lazy). So naturally, they just walk up to me and beg for food.

hoosierlogger
12-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I just sit and wait. I shoot the first thing that walks by. Once meat is in the freezer I start to get picky.

gandydancer
12-10-2013, 11:27 PM
I look for deer crossing signs. you know them big yellow ones put out by the town & state warning that deer are crossing here. back up into the woods a bit and wait. butta boom.

Wadestep
12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
In north Florida, both corn feeders and food plots work well. 3 deer in the freezer this year off of 40 acres.

TXGunNut
12-10-2013, 11:30 PM
In the S TX brush spreading corn on the senderos and ranch roads works quite well. It slows them down long enough to get a shot if you're paying attention. Many mature bucks will avoid feeders but will nibble on the corn in a sendero. Hogs like corn too, as do crows and even coyotes.

9.3X62AL
12-11-2013, 10:12 AM
When NOTHING ELSE works.......I sit down and act like an alfalfa cube. This can be effective after the acorns are all gone, but is a non-starter in the early season. :)

Paul D. Heppner
12-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Coffee, preferably hot (I like Folgers) in a good old Stanley thermos. Much like duck hunting, no action, just pour a cup to enjoy the day and all of a sudden things get interesting.

Wolfer
12-11-2013, 07:37 PM
How do I attract deer? Well evidently this year I don't! Woody

DougGuy
12-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Most years I can go pick a tree for a climbing stand that will produce by looking at the trails, then climb and wait. When I smoked, I had does come out more than once to that first puff off a cigarette, curious I guess.

The thing that worked one year was having two Hardee's sausage biscuits with a lot of GRAPE jelly smeared on them, I stuffed them in my backpack which laid on the ground while I climbed, then pulled it up with a rope. A 6pt came and smelled that spot, walked around the tree, kept coming back smelling where them biscuits laid. I invited him to dinner with my pistol..

It would be pretty hard for a warden to bust you over something like that. It is just scent not bait.

btroj
12-15-2013, 04:31 PM
I find the best way to attract deer is to hunt squirrels. I have had more deer close me while hunting rats than I ever have during deer season.

Oddly I see more rats during deer season......

They know

CTI1USNRET
12-16-2013, 03:44 PM
I attract deer by hunting for hogs.

country gent
12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Seems my Thunderbird convertable is a great attractant for deer in the evenings. I drive down the road and they want to jump out in front of it to see it. Ohio deer look really big when your looking up at them.

Iowa Fox
01-31-2014, 10:08 PM
Hmmm...let's see....I spent about $80,000 and several years worth of toil to take what used to be a 23 acre farm field of bare dirt and convert it into a spruce/grass/shrub laden oasis. I am surrounded by a near desert of harvested crop fields come season so my little island is a good place for them to stop, eat and rest a bit....most spend their time here unmolested, but the ones I want to shoot rest in pieces in my deep freeze. :mrgreen: In a food rich environment a bedroom is what they seek more than anything else apparently. I sit above the bedroom in an elevated treestand or my "shack" and wait til I find one I want. Wandering around hunting in this area will get you trespassing charges or a bullet depending on where you wander.

I did the same thing and planted an apple orchard on it also. Starting in September every year the does move in for the wind falls and by October here come the bucks. We are actually overloaded with them last summer they would get on the front porch and eat my wifes flowers.

crowbuster
02-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Near as I can tell, planting a garden and the simple act of cutting wood has always brought deer in hoards for me, only if you have no weapon with you of course

jaysouth
02-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Plant azelia next to the house, corn in the garden and flowers in the yard.

abqcaster
02-06-2014, 04:17 PM

mikeym1a
02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
A shower and some aftershave usually help...........................

ratitude
02-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Sit in somebody else's tree stand. Last year I took one out of my dad's stand and two within 45 minutes of sitting down in my brother-in-law's stand. It was a great year.

Socal147
02-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Other
Take my brother out hunting. The deer know he is a terrible shot. LoL

AZ-JIM
02-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Easiest way I have found to get into deer is go out in the woods out of deer season.

az-jim

nanuk
02-16-2014, 04:07 PM
My buddy hangs his gun over by a tree, sits down out of reach, and lights a smoke....

deer materialize everywhere...

too bad I don't smoke, so I usually put on too much AXE-Chocolate, eat a garlic sausage sammich, and a couple pickled eggs before heading out..... the "Natural Scent" usually gets 'em running if the AXE won't work

str8shot426
02-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Here in WI, buying a new car seems to work well. You will have deer right in front of you within the first week!

HollowPoint
02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Questions;

In those states where baiting is illegal, would a ghillie suit made from alfalfa or corn stalks be enough to fall inside the law whilst still potentially attracting deer to some extent?

Just wondering.

HollowPoint

Garyshome
02-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Anything my wife buys from a nursery seems to irresistible to the whitetails. Usually the most expensive plants go first.

Ken TN
02-18-2014, 10:43 PM
I will agree that a new car is the best. After 20 years of doing insurance claims I have seen to many cars that deer ran into the side of.
These were not hit by the car, the deer ran into them.
My best set up, Red Mustang Convertible, Loud Exhaust, with Dealer plates still on it parked in a clearing. The convertible top allows you 360 degrees to protect your car from the crazy deer coming in to hit it.
Whoever said deer were smart needs hang out at a body shop for a few days and watch the damage that comes in from deer.
PS watch out for Moose they do even more damage...

Ken

bearcove
02-22-2014, 07:42 PM
I have found they like the smell of beer. Just drop 2 empty beer cans below your deer stand. Smoking is not advised!

tuckerdog
03-01-2014, 09:47 PM
I used to carry a bunch of stuff into the deer woods but now simply wash clothes in baking soda and store in soil and leaves from my hunting area and use about 1 tbl spoon vanilla extract with a pint of water (seems to bee a curiosity scent)as a cover scent. I practiced bleats and grunts using only my mouth and voice. seems to work quite well.

winelover
03-02-2014, 08:26 AM
By digging in my boolit berm! Couple of hours, after sieving lead, 5 deer came out of the woods, and made a bee-line right to the berm. Two stuck their noses right in the freshly overturned sand. I believe they were bucks, I could see what looked like the dark spots where antlers were, before they shed them.

Winelover

Cmm_3940
03-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Baiting on private land is legal in Ohio. ODNR says they don't care because it has been scientifically proven to be ineffective. :???: oooooookayyy....

Ed1
03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
I watch the deer all year and with the help of trail camera's in the spring and summer months. I hunt on a small piece of property where a lot of people don't know they can hunt there.

txnative1951
03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
I try not to attract them. If they came, I might be tempted to shoot one and then I would have to haul it out of the woods and I'm getting too old and feeble to do that. The idea of hauling a deer a mile through brush back to my truck just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'd much rather just sit in my tree stand, drink beer, and then brag about the one that I *could* have shot if I had just remembered to bring some ammo. :)

bikerbeans
03-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I will use Deer Caine because I have found that it will bring deer in. However, the deer usually visit during the night. I did get a 6 pt a few years ago with my crossbow while he had is nose in the scrape. The main reason I still use the stuff is it does bring in a lot of deer and you can look at the tracks and kinda get an idea of how many and how big the deer are that year. Most of the deer I harvest are walking the edge of small wood lots that are on the large farm I hunt. I hunt from the ground using natural cover because I found the deer looking up at the tree stands (there are over 2 dozen stands on the farm). I am the only hunter who hunts on the ground and the deer get so close they have almost stepped on me.

BB

pls1911
03-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Answer natures call.....
Any deer in the county is waiting to catch you with your pants down or chasing your snake.

LeftyDon
03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Blow in their ear? No wait, that only works in dimly lit bars.

Hum, I thought it was called Hunting and not called Scenting? Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all of these years. :kidding:

bruce drake
03-12-2014, 10:02 PM
I send subconscious signals out every day of deer season that I'm not hunting. It draws the deer to my backyard like a magnet...Unfortunately, the reverse is true as well...

fatboy
03-16-2014, 02:15 PM
I fall asleep in the deer stand, they move through by the dozen then when I wake up there all gone for some reason!!!

JimA
03-16-2014, 02:32 PM
I mostly hunt deer in a 80 acre woodlot with crop fields adjacent. I find that if I choose good trails and wait "patiently"(semi to fully unconscious) I will usually wake up often enough to fill my tags. Usually when I have to get up and pee.;-)
Hey I'm getting old and lazy...

357mags
03-16-2014, 02:49 PM
No such thing as "Deer Corn" boys!

WRideout
03-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Answer natures call.....
Any deer in the county is waiting to catch you with your pants down or chasing your snake.

I usually holler "get ready boys!" when I am in that situation. Usually just opening my fly will bring animals running.
Wayne

bnelson06
03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Only if the gun is out of reach

Dan Cash
03-16-2014, 07:49 PM
I fall asleep in the deer stand, they move through by the dozen then when I wake up there all gone for some reason!!!

I fell asleep on a big log on our KY farm. One of them blew in my ear

plmitch
03-16-2014, 08:09 PM
I look for the nearest deer crossing sign and wait.

Newtire
03-16-2014, 10:12 PM
I usually go hunting ducks or turkeys and they show up.

Just Duke
03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
I bought the two deer thingies that you mount on the fenders of your car do scare deer off while your driving. I mounted them on backward and go for a drive to bring deer in. Simple huh. :)

Just Duke
03-16-2014, 11:17 PM

I would like one please.
Please tell me though why did they put male antlers on a female costume? Was the designer sick that day in school when they were discussing male and female deer anatomy?

R.Ph. 380
03-16-2014, 11:23 PM
I bought the two deer thingies that you mount on the fenders of your car do scare deer off while your driving. I mounted them on backward and go for a drive to bring deer in. Simple huh. :)

Or, you could mount them normally and drive in reverse at high speeds. That way they will chase you and you will be facing them when you stop.

nanuk
03-17-2014, 10:57 PM
I would like one please.
Please tell me though why did they put male antlers on a female costume? Was the designer sick that day in school when they were discussing male and female deer anatomy?

no meat on that one anyways.... don't matter that it is a hermaphrodite...

btroj
03-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Best way I know of to attract deer is to be hunting squirrels. The inverse works well too.

2thepoint
03-18-2014, 12:17 AM
A bushel or two of #2 sweet potatoes spread around my stand. I get the reject spuds that the farmers can't sell ....too big for turkeys & squirrels. Just the right size for deer. Late season muzzleloader when browse is scarce gets the most activity.

Just Duke
03-18-2014, 03:05 AM

Maybe that's an Ethiopian deer. I'l buy her a bag of hamburger's or something.

JimA
03-24-2014, 08:11 AM

That's what us northern guys all think... I guess down south where it gets real hot they like em' skinny so they don't heat up the bed too much:bigsmyl2:

gwpercle
03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Plant a nice garden in my back yard...they seem to know I can't shoot them in the city limits.

reddoggm
04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Got a little 180 acre spot I hunt in southern Ohio and we feed the poor starving critters all thru the year with field corn and apples off one of the 100 + trees on the property Bag em up and place em in big deer bowels by the stands When the shootin starts opening day They come home for the protection made up of all of us Foodbank Folks Most don,t come back the following year But they Taste real GOOD none the less
DOGG!!!

Hardcast416taylor
04-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I sit underneath a large white pine tree and keep whispering, "Bambi, where are you? It`s me Thumper"!Robert

Geraldo
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
I sat in camp with my rifle about 20' away. Worked like a charm two years running.

Hogdaddy
04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
That's what us northern guys all think... I guess down south where it gets real hot they like em' skinny so they don't heat up the bed too much:bigsmyl2:

The "big Ones" keep you warm in the winter & shady in the summer ; ) :kidding:
H/D

fatnhappy
04-14-2014, 06:27 PM
I sat in camp with my rifle about 20' away. Worked like a charm two years running.

Helps if you take a nap too.

Tar Heel
04-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Jewelry.

GH1
04-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I just drive around in my car. That's where I typically see the most, LOL!
GH1:-)

adkpete
04-17-2014, 06:54 AM
My motorcycle seems to be my best deer attractor.
Pete

bandmiller2
04-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Plant expensive shrubs around your home, they will come. Frank C.

yoter
04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
scout/glass/stalk

trails4u
04-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Powerline crosses north end of my property. Plant in rape/collard/clover. Get home at 5:30...walk up driveway at 6:00..sit down and lean up against big pine tree at 6:03....kill deer at 6:15. Like a charm....every year, for four years running. My wife now thinks 'hunting' is easy....but it does fill the freezer!! :)

Jr.
04-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Usually I just run across them when I'm looking for elk or antelope and adversely elk or antelope when looking for deer. [smilie=b:

Cornbread
05-08-2014, 10:57 PM
No bait of any kind allowed in Montana. No trail cameras allowed either. We have ton of deer here though, it isn't exactly tough to shoot them. We can get two a year so with my wife and son we generally get about six deer a year, plus elk if we finish our deer season early enough. We haven't eaten grocery store meat in years. During the late whitetail rut rattling works really well here too. I got a nice heavy 4x4 whitetail rattling two years ago but the biggest buck I have ever shot I just walked in, in the dark and sat down in some long grass and waited until he fed into view as the sun came up. One round with the 45-70 bang flopped him right there. I have pics of it somewhere it is a really nice 5x5 whitetail. The rack is in my shop in a box with a bunch of other racks. After a few years here you lose track of what buck you shot what year. Like I mentioned, shooting deer here isn't exactly rocket science for sure.

Iowa Fox
05-18-2014, 12:59 AM
My wife bought more flowers for the front porch so I know they will be back on the porch this year.

Talking to one of the neighbor ladies a couple years ago. Around Thanksgiving she tied the husks together on a couple ears of Indian corn and hung it on the front door. She came out one morning and found cobs and husks laying on the porch. Yep, deer tracks in the dust coming up the front steps.

Finarfin
05-27-2014, 11:54 AM
They love tobacco smoke. Shot more than I can count whilst smoking.

gandydancer
06-12-2014, 04:21 AM
I find one of them deer crossing signs. Get comfortable. Hide and wait.

bearcove
06-21-2014, 11:24 PM
One thing that works but is not PC is a few beers in my pack. I set up my bowstand , have a beer drop it on ground, climb into the stand drink half of the other one, throw the other half out on trail. They will stop and sniff. Shoot deer. Oh then have the other beer.

woodbutcher
06-22-2014, 07:16 PM
:smile: Back when I lived in Florida,I would drive along the power line right of way and look for signs of game passage.
Would then set up on the most used one,about 100 yds away.
Got many a deer and hog.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

BaconStrips
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Helps if you take a nap too.

Have to agree with that. Snoring is the best multi-species game call I have found.

Bassmaster
07-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Here in Eastern Ont. I use the rattle call....it's responsible for a couple of very nice racks on my wall

ghh3rd
07-02-2014, 12:05 AM
I bring along a nice lunch to eat after my late morning nap...

44man
07-08-2014, 10:01 AM
I bring along a nice lunch to eat after my late morning nap...

Not so funny, freind was eating animal crackers in his stand, dropped the box, heard noise under him and a buck was eating his cookies.
Cannibal deer eating animal crackers.

johnestmon
07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Go buy a deer feeder and keep it full of corn , also they have som stuff called (C'Mere Deer) you can pour out or mix with there food and it works great !

mozeppa
07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
just my magnetic personality:bigsmyl2:

GoodOlBoy
07-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Around here these days there are sooo many deer feeders I finally got a tip from an old fella on the ideal deer call. Keep a half a handful of corn in your coat pocket and carry an empty metal coffee can with you. Once you find a good spot drop in a few kernels and rattle it around trying to mimic the corn rattlin noise the feeders make when they turn on. Last time I did it I called up a small herd of hogs as well :p

GoodOlBoy

Deliverator
07-16-2014, 04:10 PM
HID headlights, high speeds, rural roads. Works great! Though my insurance company doesn't appreciate it...

wallasan10
07-19-2014, 05:19 PM
I haven't killed a deer since the 1980's when I lived in Oklahoma. They were not as plentiful back then as they are now and I remember when the bag limit was one buck. As the population increased doe became legal and I took them for the meat rather than the antlers. Around 1990 I moved to Texas where there is very little public hunting land and everybody pays big $ for hunting leases, I had no interest in that so I gave it up.
Last year I retired to north central Arkansas and hung some feeders made from PVC pipe in the "back yard". If I really wanted to take one all I'd need to do is open the window. They love deer corn so much that they sometimes fight over it.
I've never seen a buck at the feeder but last November I did see a rub less than 100 yards away.
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/wallasan10/Winter%20Storm%202013/P1070965jpga_zpsdd877f20.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/wallasan10/Winter%20Storm%202013/P1070958_zps6f66d7f6.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/wallasan10/Winter%20Storm%202013/P1070917_zpsb42b1484.jpg

johnson1942
07-23-2014, 08:28 PM
plant a nice garden and shrubs.

Owen49
07-25-2014, 04:01 PM
I attracted deer by driving home from work. I lived in DeKalb County, Indiana & worked 2nd shift in Fulton County, Ohio. The worst part of the drive was between Edon, Ohio & Hamilton, Indiana.

fatnhappy
07-26-2014, 11:21 AM
I like the avatar Owen. My Grandfather's WWI discharge from the 3rd ID is framed in my office. He was the rock on the Marne.

Owen49
07-26-2014, 09:17 PM
I like the avatar Owen. My Grandfather's WWI discharge from the 3rd ID is framed in my office. He was the rock on the Marne.

That's awesome, Fatnhappy. Audie Murphy and James Arness were both 3rd Infantry Division during WWII.

fatnhappy
08-08-2014, 08:03 PM
That's awesome, Fatnhappy. Audie Murphy and James Arness were both 3rd Infantry Division during WWII.

They sure were. Back in the day 3ID was headquartered in Leighton barracks in Wurzburg. I lived right across the river in Steinbachtal. The 15th Infantry was over in Schweinfurt. The dining hall and ranges were all named for Audie Murphy. If I'm not mistaken the 18th IN was reflagged as the 15th IN in the 90s. The recently departed Walter Ehlers was also a MOH recipient in the 18th IN 3rd ID.
My good friend was a 5 jump chump in leather personell carriers stationed in Wurzburg back in the late 80s. Right about that time I was in the 177th Armor Brigade.

bannor
08-08-2014, 10:40 PM
A buried salt block always worked fine for me. Apples, carrots and sweet corn piled around there, until you see "sign" of them pawing-licking the dirt above the block. Note, you cannot legally "hunt-over" such a lick, in some states, especially if it's not your own land.

Remiel
08-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Peanut butter sandwich

Safeshot
08-09-2014, 02:25 AM
I just get in a car and drive down the county road. They are somehow attracted to the front or side of the car or to the top of the hood. 6 deer have succumbed to this attraction. Five different cars have been involved.

tnpaw
08-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Don't use any bait! But I do like to hunt Naked in the Rain! And while they are doubled over with Laughter I put the bead on them! Ain't nothing better than being up a tree around 20 FT , on a cool , crisp morning, taking a Whiz and look down and seeing meat on the Hoof double over with laughter and being able to wipe the Smirk offen their face! Hehehe!

CLAYPOOL
08-09-2014, 11:43 PM
I sleep in my Deer Tower and have a little Wren (bird) that wakes me up. She will holler, "Wake up Old man, there's the Big One". It sure is nicer than missing sleep. Best sleep there is , is in a Duck Blind or Deer Tower....!

CLAYPOOL
08-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Besides they are nice little birds. Although I have a Owl that sits and stares at me. I don't know what to make of that one yet...!

Hardcast416taylor
08-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Sit very quietly under a tree limb with fresh cut apples and cut up fresh carrots around you. All the time you sit there with gun ready keep whispering "Bambi, it`s ME Thumper"!Robert:^)

johnson1942
09-12-2014, 11:26 PM
around here the deer always hang around where 3 types of land come together at one point. the pines, a creek bottom and a small hay or corn field. if you have permission to hunt it when you find those 3 points comming together, you will find deer. some one posted about apples and he is right, they love apples and also acorns.

flydoc
09-15-2014, 09:51 PM
I carefully cultivated an atmosphere of a safe, manly presence in my woods by frequently walking there while smoking a good cigar. At first the does were a little skittish,but I ignore them and pretend not to even notice them, knowing how that just intrigues their curiosity about a self-assured and obviously successful gent, and over the course of the summer and early fall the deer have become conditioned to the aroma and associate it with relaxation, reassurance, and contentment, much like the presence I project. Then when the hunting season comes around I can enter the woods without arousing any discomfort, light up a nice cigar, and the does will stay close and relaxed, enjoying the respite as much as I do, then when the bucks show up to see why there are so many does hanging around me....blammo!!

Cowboy_Dan
09-15-2014, 10:47 PM
I notice a lot of people are saying that tobacco smoke attracts deer, are they just being funny or is that true? I figure they are either joking about only seeing deer when their hands are occupied or pointing out that deer are curious about the smell.

brasshog
09-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I mix oatmeal, peanut butter, dark molasses, and rock salt (ice cream salt) together. Take a pair of panty hose and split them at the crotch. Place goo inside a ziplock bag and when ready cut out the corner so that it is squirtable. Roll panty hose down to the feet and insert thick goo. Place the goo filled foot in a plastic ziplock and tie with a garbage tie, tie a knot at goo foot and leave the leg hanging out (keep it clean). When in the woods remove goo and swing goo vertically to gain speed and wrap it around a high branch hence why you keep the leg/stocking area clean. Goo will drip for months and they will eat the dirt lol.