PDA

View Full Version : Received my ENCO pin guages

huntrick64
12-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I finally broke down and bought a set of pin gauges. Couldn't afford the "high quality" ones that are $700, but I did splurge on the $79 ones from ENCO. 250 pieces from .251 to .500. I bought the minus .0002 set. I am nothing but impressed with these. Very accurate and a fairly durable case to keep them in. Can't wait to work on another one of my revolvers because this will eliminate some of my potential errors during the slugging process. With shipping the total was something like $95 which wasn't bad since the set weighs about 25 lbs.

HotGuns
12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Yep. I got both sets, the .125 -.250 and the .250 to 500. They do what they are supposed to do.

Frank46
12-05-2013, 12:18 AM
I did the same also. Now no more guessing as to what the throats are on my revolvers. $79 plus $15 for shipping. Frank

MtGun44
12-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Way worth it if you have a few revolvers and really want to work with them to
make them shoot boolits best. IMO, you got exactly the right set for this application,
the $700 set would gain you nothing.

Bill

drhall762
12-05-2013, 08:43 AM
The problem with all gages that are ground to very close tolerances, is that the are heat dependent. They are intended for use in test rooms with controlled temperature, etc. The less expensive ones, and that's what I have in my shop, do everything we could ever ask. I am not terribly concerned about my gage being off by 2 tenths (.0002") if the tempurater is of by 10 degrees. None of my personal machines will hold that tight.

Doc Highwall
12-05-2013, 12:27 PM
You can use the pin gages to measure the id of your fired cases before you size them and then again after you size them to see how much your dies are sizing them down and if they are being overworked. Then you can also use them to check what size the id of the sizing die is and if you need to open it up you will be able to measure that too.

fecmech
12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Just got minus a set today myself. For cyber Monday they had 20% off and free shipping! I couldn't let that one go by.
A question to you machinists. When using the minus set if you can just get the gauge in the hole with a very snug fit is that saying the hole is exactly what the gauge is marked? I'm thinking you could not slide an exact .357 gauge into an exact .357 hole, is that correct?

targetfreak
12-05-2013, 10:57 PM
As a former machinist/engineer, a "very snug fit" is in reality no-fit. It is difficult to describe, but the gage should enter with "minimal", but slight resistance. Especially if one is measuring a thin-wall recess. And, yes, a .357 pin will NOT go into an exact .357 hole. That's why people get the "minus" gage sets. Typically, depending on maker, the pins are .0001 to .00015 smaller than indicated. It gets hairy when one begins quoting "millionths".

MtGun44
12-09-2013, 04:39 AM
yes, the .0002 allows you to put the .357 marked pin into a .357 hole. Otherwise, no go.

Bill

smokeywolf
12-09-2013, 06:39 AM
The cheap Chinese set is definitely the practical way to go. The down side is, it props up China's economy and weakens our own. Not criticizing you, I have some Chinese made tools too. It's ironic though, the lower the demand for U.S. made tools, the fewer are made and the prices go up, which drives more of us, me included, to buy Chinese.

With all the machine shops in the U.S. going out of business, sometimes you can find some decent deals on used, American made tooling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vermont-Gage-brand-Pin-Set-0-251-0-500-Series-C-Minus-Gauge-Pins-/151172672515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233297ec03

smokeywolf

BRobertson
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
smokeywolf

Thanks for the heads up on the Vermont set,

I was going to get a set from ENCO, and this saved me almost half!! I was determined to get a US set!!

thanks

Bob

smokeywolf
12-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I like shopping fleabay. You just have to watch for shipping charges and I always try to buy from sellers who have a decent return policy. I also sometimes grab the pics and enlarge them so I can get a better look.

smokeywolf

BRobertson
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes, I was glad to see that they had a set $15 ship charge,

A lot of folks don't realize that we (ALASKA) are actually part of the USA,
they will either refuse to ship here, or try to charge us crazy amounts!!!

Thanks again,
Bob

Frank46
12-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Got mine in brown truck of happiness. Can also use them to chesk the sizing dies for cast boolits is what you want to start out with or during the process when you are opening up the sizing die by reaming or other method. They listed the regular price as 150 and change and the sale price was 79bucks. Now that is what I call saving money. Frank

andremajic
12-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Another good use for pin gauges is to use them inside dented magazine tubes to "iron out" the dents. Just start with a size that barely squeezes by the dent and work your way up to final diameter.

Another use is as a mandrel for stretching your crane barrel on revolvers to tighten up endshake. Use a small circular pipe cutter with the cutter wheel replaced with a regular roller wheel, and gradually tighten it with a tight fitting pin to keep from crushing the tube.

There are tons of different uses for them and you'll be amazed at the problems you can solve.

Andy

Cactus Farmer
12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
I use my gages to check the cylinder/barrel alinement then bought the ones that fit bracket the common bore sizes. Ordered those sizes from the local supply store. These were HARD, so I heated one end to soften it for drilling and tapping to 8-32 and screwed in a long {3/4"} set screw and I can now use a pistol cleaning rod to check all the pistols that need the timing adjusted.
How did we do anything without pin gages,compressed air and all the other tools we have come to rely on every day. I have a comparator and use it several times a week........I was guessing before it seems.

andremajic
12-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I use my gages to check the cylinder/barrel alinement then bought the ones that fit bracket the common bore sizes. Ordered those sizes from the local supply store. These were HARD, so I heated one end to soften it for drilling and tapping to 8-32 and screwed in a long {3/4"} set screw and I can now use a pistol cleaning rod to check all the pistols that need the timing adjusted.
How did we do anything without pin gages,compressed air and all the other tools we have come to rely on every day. I have a comparator and use it several times a week........I was guessing before it seems.

That's a really cool tip. Appreciate it.

What do you use the optical comparator for?

I just got a granite surface plate so I can take up learning scraping cast iron. It's useful to have a master of known dimensions because you can make more precision tools using your standard piece.

nanuk
12-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Yes, I was glad to see that they had a set $15 ship charge,

A lot of folks don't realize that we (ALASKA) are actually part of the USA,
they will either refuse to ship here, or try to charge us crazy amounts!!!

Thanks again,
Bob

welcome to My world....

it costs big bucks to get stuff just across the border....

and within Canada, it is still expensive.

used to be cheaper to get something shipped from Florida, than it was within my own province

MattOrgan
12-17-2013, 09:17 PM
FYI until the end of December Enco has free shipping for orders over $49.00. The free shipping code is
"DEC49" so the .251-.500 set is only $79.00 to the door. A great deal from a good outfit to deal with.

rick/pa
01-25-2014, 04:03 PM
When I was working I borrowed the pin gauges from work if I needed one. Since retirement I wanted to buy a set of pin gauges but couldn't see spending all that money for the whole set when at most I might need 6 or 8 pins. From working in a machine shop I was familiar with ball gauges so I went on Ebay and found a set of four that covers holes from .125 to .500. They were $10.95 plus shipping. I've checked them against revolver cylinders that I've previously measured and they were right on. I've found them a viable alternative to pin gauges. Of course you need a mike to measure the ball. Dial calipers ain't gonna cut it here. Here's a link if any one wants to take a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SMALL-HOLE-GAGE-SET-FULL-BALL-TYPE-GAUGE-125-5-/350921368283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b48b22db

MtGun44
01-29-2014, 11:21 PM
No question that ball gages work well if used skillfully.

Bill