PDA

View Full Version : LEAD BULLETS IN THE 6.5x55

DUCKINDEACON
12-02-2013, 01:02 PM
I am new to this web site, but have been warned about starting a food fight about an old issue--a good starting/working load for the 6.5 Swede. The cartridge has been in my stable for years...so I'm sold on it; that is a settled item with me. Have loaded jacketed bullets for years, but now want to load cast.

I have a RCBS mold #266469, allows for GC and drops wheel-weight cast at 140 grains. I plan to size to .265 and the rifle is a Kimber conversion of the Swede 96 with the customary long freebore. Barrel twist is 7.8 and bright as new. Lube will be Lyman orange, but am looking at the "Ben's Red" as described on this site.

Live in South Texas Hill Country with feral Hogs galore. Am looking for a quiet, sub-sonic (if possible) load for night-time wet work.

DUCKINDEACON

Comrade Mike
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
There's a fantastic thread on this topic over on Gunboards pinned up in the Scandinavian military firearms forum. It's worth the read and I consider it the holy grail on cast 6.5x55

Baja_Traveler
12-02-2013, 02:04 PM
I shoot that same bullet (BRP Mold) out of my Swede (sized .266 with Carnuba Red) with great accuracy using 4895. I used it for several years shooting Military Bolt silhouette matches until I got a wonderful Mosin that could shoot a heavier bullet - center shots would occasionally ring 200 yard rams at my range with the 6.5, so needed a little more weight...

nanuk
12-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I have a RCBS mold #266469
DUCKINDEACON

???
RCBS, or Lyman?

zomby woof
12-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I shoot the Lyman boolit in an M96. I use IMR 4198 16-17 grains with a tuft of Dacron.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-04-2013, 11:34 PM
the rifle is a Kimber conversion of the Swede 96 with the customary long freebore. Barrel twist is 7.8 and bright as new.
I am not familiar with a "Kimber conversion", BUT... from the way you worded the barrel as being "bright as new", I suspect your rifle has the original military barrel. Be sure to slug the bore. It's not uncommon for them to be larger than .265" and that could be an issue as you want the boolit as large as the groove dia. or a bit larger. My all original model 1896 with Micrometer rear site , groove measures .267
Good luck,
Jon

PS. My Lyman 266469 drops a boolit at .2685" If your rifle needs something fatter, Look to NOE for his Fat 269 mold, Mines drops a boolit .271 and I size that to .270" for a Jap 6.5 with a wide barrel. The 6.5 guns are lots of fun, but the foreign specs are all over the place.

Maven
12-05-2013, 11:47 AM
"Lube will be Lyman Orange, but am looking at the "Ben's Red" as described on this site. Live in South Texas Hill Country with feral Hogs galore. Am looking for a quiet, sub-sonic (if possible) load for night-time wet work."

DUCKINDEACON, Lyman Orange is a hard, high speed bullet lube, which requires a heater or warm temperature to flow. Since you're looking for a subsonic load, try Ben's Red or Lar's Liquid Xlox (see ad at bottom of your screen), which should be perfect for your requirements.

DUCKINDEACON
12-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I want to thank all...your thoughts have been very helpful.

Nanuk...you are right; it is a Lyman mold. I thought all of these were based on the Ideal system, so it didn't matter...but, accuracy counts in this business.

Thanks Comrade Mike, I will spend time on that site.

Jon B. Several years ago when we were awash with M96's Kimber converted a large number and placed them on market. The barrel, bolt and receiver (on mine) all matching numbers. They turned down the barrel and cut it to 22 inches; put it in a Ram-Line stock. I've replaced the trigger and had it glass-bedded. Bluing is exquisite. Bbl slugs at .264 but with the long military freebore. My Lyman mold drops at .265, and my Saeco sizer is .265; so all it will do is lube the boolit. Thanks for the NOE suggestion.

Maven... looks like it is time to get cracking on the Ben's Red formula...

Anyone see any problems on the horizon?

DUCKINDEACON

leadman
12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Powder selection for subsonic in the relatively large case will be a concern as far as burning properly. I haven't used it yet but have heard good things about Trail Boss. Check with Hodgdon Powder as they sell the IMR powders now.

Maven
12-06-2013, 02:08 PM
What leadman said and also Alliant Bullseye or Hodgdon Clays.

Tedly
12-08-2013, 07:27 PM
I have a dual cavity #266469 it drops 'em @ .2685/.269 ACWW . Allox tumble lube...no sizer...Put GC on with a home made "die" ... I shoot 19.6 gr.H4895 in military brass w/ Berdan Tula primers. I can get about 2"@ 100yds. , but that's limited by how well I can
see...

GMW
12-11-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a Lyman 2660673 mold that drops around 150grs. I gas check and alox tumble lube and load 18.5 grs of RX7. My back yard range is 65 yards and all boolits touch in a 5 shot group. This is from a modern Howa 6.5 Swede with a scope.

303Guy
12-12-2013, 01:14 AM
I personally think Trail Boss and Bullseye are too fast. I'd think Unique range of burning speed would be better. Then we have the 'large pistol' powders like 2400, H4227, H4198 and so on that takes one into another level but some of those require fillers or powder positioners for best results. Apparently 2400 needs neither.

happyret65
12-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Make it easy on yourself - imr 4227 - starting at 14gr, no gas check works for me. Imr 4227 (new form) doesn't have the spiking problems some other powders have.

Larry Gibson
12-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Bullseye is the hands down best powder to use for "subsonic" loads like these. Sub sonic loads was what the OP asked about. By the time you get Unique burning efficiently, depending on bullet weight, the velocity is sonic.

I generally use a 129 gr 266455 cast real soft over 6 gr of Bullseye for 1150 fps out of M38s. Accuracy is excellent but it does "snap" at the muzzle as it is just sonic. Dropping the charge to 5.5 gr does the trick for an excellent sub sonic load. I also use dedicated cases with the flash holes drilled for these loads. Powder positioning is not a problem.

Takes 9 gr of Unique to get efficient burn w/o serious powder positioning problems. That pushes the same 266455 at 1411 fps which is quite sonic. Reducing the charge leads to erratic performance well before the loads become sub sonic.

I do not use nor suggest a filler and certainly not a wad with this type of load using Bullseye or Unique.

Have not used Trail Boss powder or heavier cast for this application so can not comment on those.

Larry Gibson

DUCKINDEACON
12-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Bullseye is the hands down best powder to use for "subsonic" loads like these. Sub sonic loads was what the OP asked about. By the time you get Unique burning efficiently, depending on bullet weight, the velocity is sonic.

I generally use a 129 gr 266455 cast real soft over 6 gr of Bullseye for 1150 fps out of M38s. Accuracy is excellent but it does "snap" at the muzzle as it is just sonic. Dropping the charge to 5.5 gr does the trick for an excellent sub sonic load. I also use dedicated cases with the flash holes drilled for these loads. Powder positioning is not a problem.

Takes 9 gr of Unique to get efficient burn w/o serious powder positioning problems. That pushes the same 266455 at 1411 fps which is quite sonic. Reducing the charge leads to erratic performance well before the loads become sub sonic.

I do not use nor suggest a filler and certainly not a wad with this type of load using Bullseye or Unique.

Have not used Trail Boss powder or heavier cast for this application so can not comment on those.

Larry Gibson

Larry...tell me about drilling the flash holes...size, and why? Your previous reply was exactly what I was looking for...

DUCKINDEACON

Larry Gibson
12-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I drill the flash holes in cases for use with these light loads for 2 reasons. 1st is to get the primer flash into the case as quickly as possible with all the force possible to ignite the small amount of fast burning powder in larger cases. 2nd is to eliminate, with rimless cases, the effect of the primer explosion driving the case forward in the case setting the shoulder back which creates case headspace problems and eventual misfires depending on extractor/ejector type.

I use a %28 drill to drill out the flash holes. That is the largest that can be used which still allows enough footing for the petals of the anvil to rest on for reliable ignition. I have also pressure tested cases with the flash holes drilled with regular cast bullet loads and found no evidence of the pressure increasing or the primer pockets giving way. Test loads were in the .308W with 4895 and the 311291 up to 2200 fps.

Larry Gibson

DUCKINDEACON
12-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks Larry...it is obvious you have a love for the Swede and 6.5 cast...if you do not mind, I may consult you again as I progress...

And ditto for the other responders....

DUCKINDEACON

303Guy
12-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks Larry, that's very informative and interesting.

When you say not to use a case filler, does that include the powder positioner type fillers like Dacron?

...it is obvious you have a love for the Swede and 6.5 cast...I think Larry has a love for most calibers, if not all.

Larry Gibson
12-23-2013, 02:25 AM
Thanks Larry...it is obvious you have a love for the Swede and 6.5 cast...if you do not mind, I may consult you again as I progress...

And ditto for the other responders....

DUCKINDEACON

Be glad to help anyway I can.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
12-23-2013, 02:27 AM
303Guy

When you say not to use a case filler, does that include the powder positioner type fillers like Dacron?

No filler is needed with those fast burning powders, not even Dacron.

I think Larry has a love for most calibers, if not all.

Never met a caliber I didn't like.........:-D

Larry Gibson

Klaus
03-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Hello Larry,

i appreciate your info about BE Loads wit CB
I have tried this with 8x57 in my 1888 Rifle and get only success with a load about up to 7 grs BE and Lee 175 grs and a PPW Cast .325 all Loads are higer or with other Powder like Unique or XMP 5477 failed.

Now i buy a M96 and will shot cast also,
I past time i had have another M96 wich i sell....
I use the Lyman Loverin without GC and a load about 6,7 grs HP with good success but all loads over this carges failed .

Do you have some expiriences with the RED DOT loads ??
I was looking for an explanation whats the advantage is from RD over BE ?

thx for help

Klaus

linus
02-17-2015, 03:55 PM
I just returned from the range where I shot my Model 38 Husquarna 6.5 X 55 Mauser. I am using IMR 4198 behind a 140 grain hard cast gas check bullet cast from a Lee mold. I started at 15 gr and have worked up to 17.5. On the bench that last load hits the 500 meter ram. I have found no leading. I am going to continue increasing the charge, staying within the safety limits, for a flatter trajectory unless accuracy falls off or leading appears. I had heard the 6.5 was a tough one to shoot well with cast, but I am not finding that to be the case.

swheeler
02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
140 gr from Lee mold, what buy?

geargnasher
02-18-2015, 01:10 AM
It's a shame you don't have all 29-1/2" of original barrel, that would be REALLY quiet. Where do you live? I thought we might be nearly neighbors, but I live in what must be the only part of the Hill Country that doesn't have many wild pigs.

Gear

Jon K
02-22-2015, 12:43 AM
DD,

6.5x55/ NOE 269 145sized .268/ 14gr 2400 no fillers.

Jon

richhodg66
03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Good thread. Recently acquired an RCBS 26-140 FN, seems to be a kind of rare mold. My RCBS cast bullet manual doesn't even have data for any 6.5s. The former owner included a few castings with the mold which are right at .266" and 141.5 grains, so true to RCBS molds reputation, it's real close.

My rifle is a nicely sporterized Swedish Mauser that was too good a deal to pass on. I've only shot some PPU factory loads in it so far and it shot alright, but not great. I'm going to mount a higher quality scope on it and maybe a Timney trigger at some point. I'd like to hunt deer with cast in this rifle at some point. I know the 6.5 is probably pushing it, but with soft point bullets in a design this long, I think I can do it.