PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Nipple on Muzzleloader from #11 to #10?

Jon
12-02-2013, 09:29 AM
My 1858 uses #10 caps, and I just picked up a CVA .50 Hawkins for ML hunting. #11 are pretty difficult to find right now. Would there be any issue with turning down the nipple to take #10 caps? That way I don't have to keep multiple sizes around?

Thanks

bob208
12-02-2013, 09:56 AM
done it a few times. started with the #11 size then when it gets smashed down clean it up to a #10

fouronesix
12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Sure it can be done. The downside is the turned-down #11 with have thinner walls so will not last as long as a regular #11 because of the cumulative effect of hammer blows.

Jon
12-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Sure it can be done. The downside is the turned-down #11 with have thinner walls so will not last as long as a regular #11 because of the cumulative effect of hammer blows.

Good point. I don't think I'll shoot it enough to really wear it out though. How many rounds does a nipple typically last?

fouronesix
12-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Hard to say. Some will last a loooong time and some won't. Two things "get" them. One is the erosion where the flash channel gets larger and larger. The other is the mushrooming effect from hammer blows. The heavier the charge, depending on type of metal/alloy of the nipple, the faster the erosion. Similarly, the harder or heavier the hammer blow the faster the mushrooming.

The erosion can be noticed with increased flash or in extreme cases it can start setting the hammer back to half or full cock--- hard on tumbler notches and sears.

The mushroom can be turned down so caps will continue to fit, but the effect will be shortening of the nipple over time.

mooman76
12-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Heavy charges will wear out the nipple quicker from the higher back pressure so naturally with lighter loads they will last longer and some nipples are made of better material that lasts longer. They should last quite awhile unless you use max charges alot.

Squeeze
12-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I bought a sleeve of #10 caps about a year ago. I have since gotten a stock of 11s so im only using the 10s on one .32 cal at this time. but I have fired more than 500 caps through it so far. Im sure well over 450 true shots and several cap only fires (first load etc) I see no real deterioration to be concerned about and im pretty sure I should get the rest through the same nipple. At this point, I do have spares, by why waste them as long as this one is working. Its a steel nipple, Im sure brass wouldnt fare as well.

Newtire
01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
I just turned down the nipple on my Navy Arms "Country Boy" mule ear in my cheapo chinese drill press. I just filed it until a #11 cap fit on (It used to take #12's). Like someone mentioned, the walls are thinner now. It's working though for now.

ShooterAZ
01-10-2014, 10:01 PM
What caps are you using? If CCI, try Remington #10 if you can find them. They fit #11 nipples for me no problem. If they still don't fit right, you can chuck the 11's in a regular drill and lightly dress them with a fine triangular file.

DIRT Farmer
01-10-2014, 11:56 PM
You asked how long nipples last, on my 10 gauge shotgun loading one oz of shot they last about a year, but then I buy caps 5 thousand at a time and use my flint gun the most.

lobogunleather
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Hard to say. Some will last a loooong time and some won't. Two things "get" them. One is the erosion where the flash channel gets larger and larger. The other is the mushrooming effect from hammer blows. The heavier the charge, depending on type of metal/alloy of the nipple, the faster the erosion. Similarly, the harder or heavier the hammer blow the faster the mushrooming.

The erosion can be noticed with increased flash or in extreme cases it can start setting the hammer back to half or full cock--- hard on tumbler notches and sears.

The mushroom can be turned down so caps will continue to fit, but the effect will be shortening of the nipple over time.

Nipples can last a very long time. My original Pennsylvania caplock rifle (1850's to 1870's vintage) came to me from an estate auction in remarkably good condition, only a little problem with the lock that was cured quickly. Then I had a rifle that was ready to shoot, but the original nipple was much too large for any available percussion caps (probably made for the #12 caps that have not been manufactured in many, many years). Since the nipple threads were standard 1/4" X 28 the cure was simple; installed a new TC #11 nipple and found myself with a fully functional shooting iron from the Civil War era.

I could just as easily have installed a #10 nipple with the same threading.