PDA

View Full Version : need help to start reloading

hightide
12-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Hi folks. Im new to reloading and wanted to know what I need to buy to start reloading. Money isnt to much of an issue I just dont want to buy things twice. I want something that wood give me great results. I dont shoot much but I go through 1000 rds in a year. The problem is that its harder for me to find ammo for my firearms these days. I shoot 45 autos up to the 300wsm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

warf73
12-02-2013, 07:27 AM
If money is no issue order a Dillon 550B with whatever caliber you shoot the most. Then while you wait (think there 2 months back order maybe 3), get a couple reloading books Hornady, Lee, Sierra to name a few and read, read and read.

Use the press like a single stage till you get the hang of it, aka deprime and prime all your brass at once, then charge all cases (measure the charge on each case). Then seat your bullets/boolits in all the cases.
Then when your confidence builds use the press like a turret press by running one case threw the whole process at a time.
Once you feel comfortable you can then run the press in progressive mode.

The 550 can be used in this manor because of the none auto indexing, not say other presses can't do this also. The 550 will also reloading rifle rounds with no issue (300wsm) once you’re ready to step up into rifle reloading.

Most people don’t look at the 550 in this way.

Recluse
12-02-2013, 11:50 AM
If money isn't an issue, then why the difficulty in finding ammo to shoot?

:coffee:

gcollins
12-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I am not trying to make anyone mad but I want to reply, I started reloading in 1972 and have loaded ever since. I owned 2- 550B, and I just sold my RL450 because I thought I need the bench room. I think safety is Number 1, and I don't think anyone should start off on any kind of progressive press. You can get a starter kit from Lee for under $150.00 I think, that has everything you will need other than dies! Buy carbide die sets for your pistols. After a couple years and you really like reloading, then you can step up to what ever you want! The dies that you buy will work in everthing.
This is only my option, think safety first.
G
I would upgrade to the cast iron O press in the Lee Kit

LUBEDUDE
12-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I agree with warf 100%! Excellent advice.

Most posts like yours come back with replies urging you to get a single stage press. Usually to pay your dues because they had to pay their dues the slow tedious way.

As long as you buy a few loading manuals such as "The ABC's of Reloading" and another one or two loading Data manuals such as a current "Hornady, Sierra, Hodgdon ,Nosler, etc", you are good. As long as you actually READ THEM!
Pick the manuals up on Amazon or EBay if you can't find them in your gun store.

If you go to www.brianenos.com he will not only have the Dillon 550 but most of the accessories you need as well. Plus shipping will be free because of the press!

You need scales either balance beam or digtal. Another potential argument. In the long run you may end up with both. For hardcore accuracy most go for balance beam. Dillon is good.

Buy the Strong Mount for the 550, it raise it up, distributes the load and gets the handle and works away from the knees and does not block your lower shelf.
Bullet tray for the Strong Mount
Calipers
Bullet puller-inertia style- Dillon is good
Hand held chamfer-reamer
Imperial sizing lube
Eye protection
Dillon primer flip tray- it is big and can easily handle any primer package.

This is what comes to mind. I just woke up. Others will add to the list

bangerjim
12-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Dillon? Holy Crapola!

At only a 1000 round a year.......start out with a simple $30 Lee single stage press. In stock on most websites. Get the dies you need while you are there. People bitch about Midwayusa.com, but they have a lot of stuff in stock now and I have had excellent service from them for years. People that order one $15 item complain about the shipping. Order $100+ worth of stuff and it is very reasonable. All sites are like that! Blame UPS, not the site your buying from.

Start small. I have used a Lee small press for years. They just do not wear out and are very easy to use. I use both of them much more than my big rotary multi-stage hard-to-use beaste.

Get the Lee sizing dies for the cals you need.

Get the Lee hand primer. Best way to do it.

Get a powder scale! I love digital, but you will hear many on here bitch about them. I have no problems with them. The Franklin Arsenal one works for about $45. You can always use it even if you elect to buy a much more expensive one later on.

Then read the threads on here about electrostatic gun powder coating boolits and forget spending money on a lubra-matic thingy and making witch's brew grease lubes. No leading----no smoke----easy to do.

Nice thing is the dies you buy now will fit a larger press if you want to go that way in the future!

You probably will get into casting your own. Get a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot and molds of the appropriate cal for you guns. Again, I recommend Lee 6 cavity for availability, accuracy, and value.

Also Lee sizing dies as mentioned above.

Most of all.........HAVE FUN!

And ask questions if you need advice. Believe me......you will a lot of varied opinions!

I am currently mentoring 3 others using exactly the same advice as I offered above. And they are having fun!

bangerjim

TES
12-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Get a lee classic (just a tube and a hammer) and start reloading at a rate of 20 rnds an hour. After 2 - 3 months of reloading with this you will understand and respect every process of reloading.

Get a...

Powder funnel
Digital scale
Bullet puller
Wooden plank with hole drilled out for falling primers
Hand priming tool
deburing tool
trimming tool
and steel wool for case polishing on your drill. (with trimming tool shell holder)

LUBEDUDE
12-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I am not trying to make anyone mad but I want to reply, I started reloading in 1972 and have loaded ever since. I owned 2- 550B, and I just sold my RL450 because I thought I need the bench room. I think safety is Number 1, and I don't think anyone should start off on any kind of progressive press. You can get a starter kit from Lee for under $150.00 I think, that has everything you will need other than dies! Buy carbide die sets for your pistols. After a couple years and you really like reloading, then you can step up to what ever you want! The dies that you buy will work in everthing.
G
I would upgrade to the cast iron O press in the Lee Kit

OP- said he didn't want to buy twice.

Bayou52
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Here are a few good items I can vouch for since I've been using these same items for nearly 40 years of reloading:

RCBS Rock Chucker press
RCBS 505 scale
RCBS carbide dies for various small pistol calibers
Redding dies for 30-06
RCBS Uniflow Powder measure
RCBS Lubrisizer

Not to say these items are the "one and only", but they have performed for me as designed for nearly 4 decades, and they are still in regular use.

Just some comments on my personal experience.

Also, I think you'll find out that RCBS customer service is virtually unparalleled in the industry. Again, based on my personal experience.....

Bayou52

clownbear69
12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
You might not want to buy twice and its good to think that way but look it at it this way. Say you started with a Lee Single stage and down the road you want to upgrade. Many people do but don't think of buy it twice. 1 you could always sell on the used market or 2 if you have a kid, cousin or neighborhood kid that your a mentor too you could always give to them when they are older. And you would be passing down the tradition of reloading (a dying art in some areas).

Personally myself at 1000/per year I wouldn't spend the money on a Dillon 550 if the 1000/ year is truly your total. Its not worth it. Id start with a single stage myself. You learn the basic mechanics and you are slowed down enough to prevent a double charge (a high possibility in handguns). Also whose to say you will have the time to reload every week? A week not reloading is pretty much taking up space and money for that matter that could've been used buying ammo.

Also since money is no object why haven't you bought ammo online? remember if its hard to find ammo in your area whose to say find Powder and Primers any easier? Yes you can buy powder and primers online but must pay a hazmat fee and buy in bulk to make it worth it. Buying ammo online doesn't require a hazmat.

But if your truly committed to want to reload here's a few things to get:

a press as stated before I prefer a single stage and prefer the redding big boss 1/2 2 has the primer catch. It has more available room then any other standard press
dies: get what you can they all do the same basic function Lee will be the cheapest reddding the most expensive next to custom dies
a scale: i like digital for convenience and a manual scale for back up or if my digital is dead or miss reading
A case trimmer: will need for you 300 WSM but not for your 45 acp
A Manual: Honestly get all you can. but bare minimum is lymans 49th and which ever bullet you plan to reload with. more manuals on hand helps with referencing. Example Hornady seems to make more anemic loads per book they come out with
Powder Dump: just easier than using the lee dippers
Tumbler: anyone will work I have a frankford arsenal loud but works
Case lube: for your rifle cases
Calipers: The more expensive is preferred but ive used the harbor freight ones that go on sale for 10 bucks and i get a few because 10 bucks is worth having it drop and toss.
a Bench: makes it easier to reload when you have space if you don't there is other alternatives

Of course I am missing something because there is a lot of littler things that is needed. many companies offer a starter kit which will have a majority what you need but not everything.

Good Luck

Wayne Smith
12-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Remember that when you buy reloading dies other than Lee you have to buy the shell holder separately. Lee is the only company that boxes a shell holder with their dies. I still buy the others!

-Mischief
12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
G
I would upgrade to the cast iron O press in the Lee KitI did exactly that. I was taught to reload just over two years ago. I started with the $150 Lee Challenger Press "package". The only thing I would add to this package would be a good electronic scale. I know a lot of guys out there swear by their mechanical balance scale but I just didn't feel like it was accurate enough for me.
I reloaded approximately 4-500 rounds in two years for my 9mm, 357sig, 40sw, 45acp, 223, 243, 257, 30-30, 6.5x284 and my 308. I got into AR's and into shooting my 9's a lot so a few months ago I purchased a Hornady LNL AP. There's a small. easy learning curve but nothing crazy. I've now loaded over 700 9mm's in the past few months! Next purchase will be the items needed to load for my 223's.
In short, start with a single stage press! No need for a progressive...yet ;) Make sure that you put some thought into placement and mounting! You will eventually grow in this addicting game of reloading and need to mount other items, powder throws, vises and the like. Good luck!

hightide
12-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Going with warf 73 until I get a hang of it. I live in communist california, a state that is taking our gun rights away from us. I found a few sites that had some of my ammo but will not ship to ca. We get fingerprinted here which I have no problems with, but limiting the amount we can purchase in a month is really ridiculous. That is why I want to start reloading and in return get some knowledge and hopefully make precision ammo and spend more time at the range instead of searching for ammo. Thanks again for all of your advices

dbosman
12-02-2013, 05:43 PM
warf73 gave good advice.
The Dillon will keep it's value too, instead of depreciating. The Dillon will be setup, ready to go. As warf73 said, don't. Run it single stage for a while.
Another option for practice, at 1000 rounds a year, is commercial re-loaders. You'll meet, or get the names of some good ones, at meets. Of course you may find yourself going through more than 1000 rounds a year if you shoot at the meets. ;-)

Your next difficulty will be picking a or several, bullets or boolits.
That is a whole nother discussion. If I could only have one boolit for .45 ACP my choice would be a hollow point, flat point, round nose. Something like this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/670333/lyman-1-cavity-bullet-mold-452374-45-caliber-452-diameter-180-grain-devastator-hollow-point

Here is the milhec mold pictures.
http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php#album

dbosman
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
By the way, welcome.

starmac
12-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Fingerprinted to buy ammo??? How does that work, and what kind of monthly limits do you have and how do they know how much a guy buys??

blikseme300
12-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Remember that when you buy reloading dies other than Lee you have to buy the shell holder separately. Lee is the only company that boxes a shell holder with their dies. I still buy the others!

Maybe something changed but every one of my Hornady die sets came with a shell holder.

Sweetpea
12-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Maybe something changed but every one of my Hornady die sets came with a shell holder.

I don't know how long ago that was...

I've been buying Hornady dies for years, never a shellholder.

Brandon

clownbear69
12-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Going with warf 73 until I get a hang of it. I live in communist california, a state that is taking our gun rights away from us. I found a few sites that had some of my ammo but will not ship to ca. We get fingerprinted here which I have no problems with, but limiting the amount we can purchase in a month is really ridiculous. That is why I want to start reloading and in return get some knowledge and hopefully make precision ammo and spend more time at the range instead of searching for ammo. Thanks again for all of your advices

ah now that makes a lot of sense. Yet if you are near the border towards Reno Nevada there is a Cabelas to help with either reloading or buying the ammo itself. Good luck

hightide
12-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Yes they take photo copies of your id or dl # fill out a logsheet of make , caliber and quantity Then a thumb print. I wouldnt be surprised if they started to cheek swab us for dna and make us fill a timeline shooting log of where the ammo was shot at and if I even hit paper or not.

hightide
12-03-2013, 12:16 AM
I go up reno a few times a year and stop by cabelas but they too have a short supply except for rounds like 223 or the popular 30-06. I see alot of reloading stuff there so hopefully this will end my search for factory ammo. the most popular american caliber the 22 lr is becoming very hard to find but I manage to stop by the indoor ranges where they some in stock but only in fmj.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-03-2013, 01:22 AM
My advice to you would be find a job in another state and move. To heck with living being controlled by the government.

warf73
12-03-2013, 03:11 AM
When you do find reloading suplies don't be affraid to buy alot. Just keep it dry and it will last for years.

Something else once you start reloading keep good notes aka primer, powder, bullet being used. I keep mine on my laptop, PC, CD and flash drives I keep one drive and CD in the gun safe.

LeftyDon
12-03-2013, 09:33 AM
My suggestion for 1000/year would be the Lee Classic Turret press and extra turrets for whatever extra sets of dies that you'll need for all of your calibers. OBTW, NY state is also going to require in person purchase with ID plus form fill out for all ammo come the beginning of 2014. What CA does ******* NY will soon follow.

Guardian
12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
We get fingerprinted here which I have no problems with...

And that is why our liberty continues to dwindle, folks don't have a problem with it being trampled upon.....

I respectfully disagree with the advice of beginning with a progressive press, particularly a manually indexing one.

From a "paying your dues" perspective, I contend that double charges are more likely on a manually indexing progressive press. I agree that careful attention can avoid the problem; however, none of us know how attentive the OP will be. It is unwise to suggest that a new driver begin with a hotrod. While it is possible to limit the power, it is highly unlikely that such will be done. The decision is, obviously, the OP's to make based on his self evaluation. I couldn't recommend a progressive to start in good conscience. I do understand the "best money can buy" mentality, that Dillon equipment holds its value better than most, and the liklihood of the OP staying at 1000 rounds per year is quite small if he enjoys reloading. I still wouldn't recommend a progressive press as a first press. I understand that some will consider themselves the exception. I can't suggest a progressive to a beginner because there are too many variable that I have no way of knowing and I'm not willing to take responsibility for a suggestion that has a higher probability of resulting in catastrophe. Overstated? Maybe, maybe not.....

Add a knowledgeable mentor to the above, it's a different scenario. I'm teaching someone to reload pistol rounds on an auto-indexing progressive, but he has no access to equipment other than mine, I did the setup, and I'm watching the process. I'm willing to take the responsibility for that arrangement.

I completely understand the "buy once, cry once" thought. From a perspective of investing in a hobby, I suspect the majority of progressive users have and use a single stage press. They are just handy to have around. Personally, I use the single stage for all of my rifle resizing because it takes less effort than the progressive. It isn't like the single stage press is suddenly of no use just because you have a progressive.

Frankly, reloading on a progressive removes some of the enjoyment for me. I use the progressive because the volume I want requires it with the limited time I can allocate. I like being involved in the process more than just a lever puller. Sure the progressive takes some thinking to setup, but after that I'm just watching for errors and pulling the lever; supervisor, quality control, and laborer all at the same time. It can get an awful lot like work.

Reloading 1000 rounds a year works out to about 40 rounds every other weekend of the year and less than 100 rounds a month. That's hardly worth the cost of a progressive, in my opinion. It would take more time to set the progressive up that it would take to turn the ammo out. It's realistic to turn out 100 rounds of loaded ammo using one weekend a month on a single stage.

Lest someone misunderstand me, I'm not saying that mistakes can't happen with a single stage press. They certainly can. The speed of production using a single stage operation is reduced to the point that the mistakes are more likely to be recognized.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth......

r1kk1
12-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I have no problem recommending any press on my bench. It's up to the person to choose what he wants. I invite people over to try different presses and make up their own mind.

550b
Champion
Ultramag
Summit
CO-AX

Each has features unlike any other press. All load ammo. I've taught quit a few people on the 550 and they most buy a 650 or LNL for that type of reloading. Single stage the Ultramag has turned some of the larger long cartridge fans on to Redding.

Handloading is a personal thing. Too bad that we can't try some of the equipment out before buying. I like what I have and if in Oklahoma, PM me to try out what I have. I think other people should reach out and do this and help them make up their own mind. Kinda like test driving a new car or truck.

Take care

r1kk1

1bluehorse
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
The presses that adorn my reloading bench are two RCBS Ammomaster auto progressives (updated from the original Rube Goldberg "swinging pendulum of death" powder drop to the new-er case activated linkage system), an RCBS Ammomaster ll 50 BMG single stage and a Lee Classic Turret....the one I would unconditionally recommend to ANYONE is the Lee Classic Turret...best in class, great bargain price, and fast enough production for almost anyone ..strong, very well made, easy to set up, easy to use, what's not to like?? this is what used to be my 2 cents worth but now is going to have to go to 7 cents so I can afford the "affordable healthcare law".........:drinks:

Wag
12-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Here's the thing, though. You may only be shooting 1,000 a year now but if you start loading your own, you may rapidly see that you're going to want to load a LOT more. You can load 1,000 rounds in a weekend or two once you get your groove on, even on a single-stage press.

If you don't want to buy twice, stay away from Lee products. RCBS and Dillon are far superior and will last a lot longer.

As much as possible, avoid plastic equipment, particularly your dial caliper. Get a quality Mitutoyo micrometer and never look back. Assuming you decide you need one. You don't absolutely HAVE to have it when loading for straight-wall pistol cases.

Have fun!

--Wag--

Guardian
12-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Wag, there was a time I'd have said the same about LEE equipment. I've come to the realization that some LEE products are really good. The Classic Cast press is one. Factory Crimp dies for bottleneck cartridges are another I rather like using with jacketed bullets. I agree one is less likely to be disappointed with the other brand equipment, in general. With the exception of Dillon (only have their swager) and Redding (like the two products of theirs I have), I've got something from each of the major manufacturers (LEE, RCBS, Lyman, Forster, and Hornady) that I am less than satisfied with and something else I consider to be outstanding for its purpose.

R1kk1, agreed.

1bluehorse, if I had to cut back to one press it'd be my Redding T7. I love turret presses, but have never tried the LEE.

Old Caster
12-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Started in '58 and have no idea how many presses I had and have used but since I got my 550 quite a few years ago, I will never look back and now have 3 plus, a Star that looks good, but never gets used anymore.

retread
12-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Looks like you have a lot of opinions on presses and equipment so I'll not join in on that but I will reemphasize what other have said about manuals. Buy them, read them and study them prior to buying anything else. You will learn a lot and will be better prepared to make the best decisions on your future purchases. I started reloading in about 1960. I still have some manuals from back then but beware, older manuals have some great information in them but the load data has changed over the years as powders have changed. Here is a couple of pictures of the manuals I have on my bench (not all I have by any means but a good start).8944389444

MtGun44
12-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Given the difficulty of finding jobs in this Obama-economy, it may be hard to do,
but have you considered moving? CA native, have been gone forever, still friends
there that I visit occasionally, but wouldn't live there on a bet.

As to the reloading - the BL-550 will get you started as a low cost single stage and you
can add the automation as you become more skilled. Get a Dillon Blue Press (mine came
today!) catalog sent to you and study it. The BL550 will eventually become a RL-550.

PLEASE buy several books on reloading and several load manuals (Hornady, Sierra, Speer,
etc) and read them carefully. This is critical for your personal safety. Once you have the
gist of the process down, drop by and ask some (now well framed!) questions and we'll be
happy to help.

Bill

Guardian
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Bill, thanks for pointing that out for us. I confess I didn't know Dillon sold a stripped down version of the 550.

seaboltm
12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Buy a Lee Loadmaster and remove the indexing feature (5 second no disassembly task). Use it as a single stage press until you get the hang of reloading.

Three44s
12-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I started out loading at age 19 in '75 ........ If I was only trying to make a perfect buying decision at every juncture ...........

........... I'd still be back at that first purchase ..... trying to make up my mind!

My first: An RCBS Jr. ........ any regrets ........... I should have bought a Rock Chucker first ......

...........am I sad and broke up over that mistake .......

........... Um ........... no ......... I have moved on!

Now I am not trying to mock you ........ trust me! It's just that after you read the advice given on these sort of threads you realize just how diverse our hobby is and EVERY ONE has an "expert" opinion!

I'll give you one thing that's been mentioned but not stressed as much as what "iron" to buy:

............ READ! .............. READ!! ........... and READ SOME MORE!!

Now, my path went like this:

After I bought my RCBS Jr. in '75 ........... I happily loaded rifle and revolver and pistol for many years! Then I bought a Lee Classic Turret!

If the current world affairs situation had not gone as sour as it is ....... those two would have made me a VERY happy duffer!

And if I could have magically made that JR. turn into a Rock Chucker ....... I'd be twice as happy.

But current world affairs being what they are .......... I bought a progressive auto indexing press: the Hornady Lock and Load just about one year ago.

About your idea of wanting 1000 rds. a year ........ is that you'll outgrow that estimate! But you'll know when you cross that line!

Looking back at all my swerves and stumbles (if you could call that) ...... it's been one hell of a ride!

A single stage no matter where your loading takes you is still a staple of a handloader ...... and doing rifle ........ doubly so!

And, I would not relish starting out from scratch and getting a progressive off the ground.

A year ago, when I began using my LNL ........... all the years of single stageing came into play ......... to get that unit up and running. It was not hard with my experience ........ but it was not easy!

So if I was a green horn ........... I'd be flumixed to say the least.

But more importantly I can't stress that in day to day loading ........ you'll go back to that single stage a LOT!

The one exception to a single stage would be the Lee Classic Turret ........ but I do trust my nice tight single stages more however for ultimate runout for rifle over that dandy LC turret press ......... maybe I'm old fashioned?

I did finally get a compound single stage ........ it's a Redding big boss. A good solid press ....... it came up slightly used on a gun forum and I dove in on it. A Rock Chucker is an even better choice because it's even stronger. Go to the swaging section of this forum and look at BT Sniper's findings ..... He found that the Lee Classic single stage is even tougher!!

Now, hows that line up with the folks that don't want any Lee equipment?

Besides lots of reading ....... my next lump of advice is that sooner or later if you travel the road far enough ...... it always winds it way back to "Rome"!

If you dive in deep and buy a Progressive ........ if you really care about your rifle loading ....... you will ..... mark my word ....... get a single stage as well. Trust me.

A couple of posters said that us single stagers were just trying to drag you newbies through the proverbial mud of misery ......... by wanting you to buy a single stage so you could be slow like we were .............. Well. You have to make your mind up on that claim ......... yourself!

Whatever you do ............ start reading and loading ........... and welcome to the fold when you do!!! Any way you jump in the pool ........ you'll enjoy the swim! It's more important that you DO plunge in ......... What side of the pool you jump in from matters less.

Best regards

Three 44s

flounderman
12-07-2013, 12:47 PM
The advice you get is worth what it costs you when some else is spending your money. You need a reloading book, a scales and a powder measure. You set and check the measure with the scales. I prefer to use a hand primer so I get a better feel, but it isn't necessary. You need a set of dies. I like the Lees because they have a better decapping pin. You can find a used press on this site. I used a herters super C single stage for 40 years and then bought a Lee turrent press. I still have the Herters and use it. You don't need to spend 500 dollars on a press. You can buy quality used dies on this site. Use a loading block, set your sized, primed cases in it and charge them with powder. when they are all charged, visually inspect them to see if they appear to have the same amount of powder in each one. If one doesn't look right, empty it and recharge it and see what it looks like. You don't need all the calipers and gauges. I set the seating depth on a rifle by seating the first bullet a little long, chambering it and inspecting the rifling marks left on the shoulder. Then you adjust the seating die so the bullet just clears the rifling. You don't need a bunch of expensive tools to start with. You can do just as good a job with the basics. It takes longer but once you have the practice and knowledge, you will have a better idea of what you might want to upgrade. If you shoot a lot of pistol, carbide dies and a progressive press are nice, but not necessary to start with. If you buy used equipment, when you decide to upgrade, you can probably sell it for what you have in it and you used it for nothing.

jonas302
12-07-2013, 01:11 PM
The first thing to buy is some reloading manuals so you can begin to understand the process Your going to need a lot more than a press and you may find that money is a concern at that point also in the manuals you can start to decipher what powder and primers you need to be looking for and getting ordered Components are out there but scarce like loaded ammo

By the way I personally wouldn't even consider loading 300 wsm on a progressive just my opinion though