PDA

View Full Version : CB Field Test Coming Soon!

TXGunNut
12-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Headed south in a few days to put my 35 Whelen project gun and a new thutty-thutty through their paces, trusty 45-70 Guide Gun going along as a backup gun...all loaded with CB's! RBH in 45 Colt tagging along as always, with a new heavy CB that I'm pretty curious about. Just checked the weather, seems we have a 30-40% chance of rain all weekend so a stainless/composite 30-06 Ruger 77 is going along as my bad weather gun. Was hoping for an all-CB lineup but I'm unlikely to convert my 30-06's to CB's.
Maybe next trip I'll go all-CB's, other than social equipment, of course.

Crawdaddy
12-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Good luck TXGN. Post pictures.

44man
12-02-2013, 08:51 AM
All good guns. The Colt with heavy works great too.
Good luck.

35 shooter
12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Good luck and bring back a big one!

TXGunNut
12-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Good luck and bring back a big one!

Thanks, but I'd rather bring back a tender one. I don't get to shoot the trophy bucks and I've learned some of the big hogs simply aren't worth the trouble to dress, let alone process. Big boar would be an interesting test for my big bore hogleg and it's new load. It could happen. Sure hope the weatherman is wrong!
I'll try to do a better job with the pics this time, my Droid takes a great pic if I don't mess it up!

taco650
12-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Any news yet?

TXGunNut
12-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Funny you should ask, just posted a new thread about my hunt.
Just got back but the featured test subjects didn't work out very well. Ol' Ugly's having scope issues, missed some gimme shots and had to pass on a cull buck because I'd lost confidence in her after missing a Javelina...or two, mebbe three... :-( Marlin 336 in 30-30 got to go along on sessions where I saw absolutely nothing. Yesterday afternoon was last evening of a three day hunt so I took my backup rifle, a Leupold-scoped Guide Gun in 45-70 loaded up with HT'd RD 460-350's. Alloy was 50-50 with a touch of tin. Same boolit and rifle I made my first CB kill with, just an awesome rifle & load combo.
Shot was quartering away facing to his right, placed it about one or two ribs back from the edge of his shoulder, just above the elbow. Next image thru the scope was four big hooves flying thru the air, pretty good sign! I figured the boolit would take out his heart on the way to his brain. He hit the ground immediately but twitched for about 20 minutes. He was in no danger of getting his feet under him so I let him bleed out. Boolit actually exited just behind his head at the top of his neck. I could tell when I picked him up that his right shoulder was smashed and at least one lung and some major arteries were hit. I like that boolit, it does a good job of smashing big bones and putting critters down in a hurry.
Just wish I'd been able to get results with my "new" rifles, will try again in a couple of weeks.

taco650
12-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Ah, you'll get it going eventually.

TXGunNut
12-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks, was pushing to get the load development done. Rather disappointing when something else goes wrong but I'll try again after Christmas. Hopefully I'll get it figured out by then.

taco650
12-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Do you think the scope is bad or have the mounts loosened?

TXGunNut
12-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Mounts are OK, should have time for a range trip this weekend to check out the scope.

monge
12-14-2013, 03:21 PM
That RD 350 in a guide gun is a great combo very accurate and will kill everything in northamerica and beyond! well Done!

jhalcott
12-14-2013, 03:56 PM
SHEESH Tex, that 30-06 is a CLASSIC CB gun! The same bullets as the 30-30 or heavier ones will work just fine for hogs and deer. You do NOT have to push them as fast as jacketed ones and they kill just as well or better.

TXGunNut
12-14-2013, 04:42 PM
SHEESH Tex, that 30-06 is a CLASSIC CB gun! The same bullets as the 30-30 or heavier ones will work just fine for hogs and deer. You do NOT have to push them as fast as jacketed ones and they kill just as well or better.

Maybe so but the way I look at it my 30-30 or 35 Rem will do anything CB-wise that my 30-06 will do with less powder and in a handier package. I don't mind having a couple of rifles for shooting j-words, they just won't see much time in the field.

Crawdaddy
12-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Way to go. I use RD boolits in my 1895M and 45/70 Contender. Awesome boolits.

TXGunNut
12-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Way to go. I use RD boolits in my 1895M and 45/70 Contender. Awesome boolits.

Thanks! Yes, they have a way of making critters drop where I shoot them. Resolved the scope issue in my 35 Whelen but the GG is going along as backup on my next trip in a few weeks. Some days I wonder why I fool around with other rifles.

taco650
12-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks! Yes, they have a way of making critters drop where I shoot them. Resolved the scope issue in my 35 Whelen but the GG is going along as backup on my next trip in a few weeks. Some days I wonder why I fool around with other rifles.

Because its fun!!!!!!!!!!

TXGunNut
12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Because its fun!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes. Keeps me in my loading room or on the range instead of bars or watching TV.

taco650
12-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Sometimes. Keeps me in my loading room or on the range instead of bars or watching TV.

There are worse addictions...er... hobbies LOL!

35 shooter
12-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Glad you got the scope issue worked out, you've been working hard with that rifle this year i know. Hot dog , it's WHELEN TIME!

TXGunNut
12-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Glad you got the scope issue worked out, you've been working hard with that rifle this year i know. Hot dog , it's WHELEN TIME!

Whelen wasn't shooting very well Sunday, will try again this weekend but she's well within minute of whitetail. I wasn't shooting very well either, hopefully we'll both do better this time.

pls1911
12-27-2013, 03:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA... Just catching up on this thread... I love the decription after the shot.... four hooves a flyin'!!
Yes, like yours, my 30-30s also see more field time than anything else, and do what's needed anytime...
But the 45-70's with RD or other FLAT NOSED bullets are a hoot.
I always get a bang flop with the 30-30, but never with the 45-70.. that's where I giggle.
It seems critters hit with the 45-70 require some airtime for gymnastics before the hit the ground.
The last pig I hit from a low angle..I was in a shallow creek bottom, at about 80 pounds, he was up on the edge bank...
Head on, hit the chin shattered the entire jaw ran down the spine and exited above the tail.
Bang.... one thousand one... One thousand two...flop.
Double back flip half gainer with a twist...or so it seemed at the time...
Next time I tell the tale it will grow more, but what fun....
Marlinitus strikes in many forms, especially with cast boolits......

35 shooter
12-29-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm in southcentral MS. but i could have sworn i heard a 35 whelen go off today over Tx. way...... Hope i was right!:grin:

TXGunNut
12-30-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm in southcentral MS. but i could have sworn i heard a 35 whelen go off today over Tx. way...... Hope i was right!:grin:

Welllllll...maybe. ;-) I did fire, shot was a gimme 107 yrd shot. Everything looked right, felt right. Only problem was when the smoke cleared there was no deer or sign of a hit. I spent 30 minutes looking for sign and couldn't find any indication of a hit. Very frustrating. I've rushed this project and that's what happens when I do that. I'll sort it out later. Good news is my Guide Gun was waiting patiently back at camp and we scored a nice little doe that afternoon. That was the other "boom" you heard a few hours later from deep S Texas, lol.

35 shooter
12-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Congratulations on the deer. I knew i heard that 35 go off! Main thing is ...meat in the freezer...good job. Have you figured out what happenned with the 30/30? I've been too picky this year but the season runs till almost end of January where i hunt so i'm fixin to concentrate on meat huntin! Hope you get the Whelen figured out. Good luck if you get another chance.

TXGunNut
12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm done hunting for the year, one deer or good hog gets me all the meat I want to eat & process. Still have meat in the freezer from the two hogs last year.
I'll give you three hints & three guesses on the 30-30. Hint one: loud report & heavy recoil for a light load. Second hint: Case stuck in chamber, had to field-strip to unload. Last hint: Blown primer.
Your first two guesses don't count, BTW. Yes, it's embarrasing but it's quite obvious what happened.
Good luck filling your freezer. I'll get my processing done Wednesday, knock out that case & clean my hunting rifles. I think I'll play with my Colts & clones for awhile. Been shooting nothing but rifles for months and ready for something different for awhile. And yes, I'll weigh the rest of those 30-30 rounds before I shoot any more.

taco650
12-31-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm done hunting for the year, one deer or good hog gets me all the meat I want to eat & process. Still have meat in the freezer from the two hogs last year.
I'll give you three hints & three guesses on the 30-30. Hint one: loud report & heavy recoil for a light load. Second hint: Case stuck in chamber, had to field-strip to unload. Last hint: Blown primer.
Your first two guesses don't count, BTW. Yes, it's embarrasing but it's quite obvious what happened.
Good luck filling your freezer. I'll get my processing done Wednesday, knock out that case & clean my hunting rifles. I think I'll play with my Colts & clones for awhile. Been shooting nothing but rifles for months and ready for something different for awhile. And yes, I'll weigh the rest of those 30-30 rounds before I shoot any more.

I had a similar experience when making some experimenting with the .223 Rem and pistol powders-no blown primer but stuck case that had to be knocked out with a cleaning rod at home. It was on a Remington bolt action and I ripped the extractor grove off getting the bolt open. Needless to say, I stopped those "experiments". ;-)

TXGunNut
12-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I had a similar experience when making some experimenting with the .223 Rem and pistol powders-no blown primer but stuck case that had to be knocked out with a cleaning rod at home. It was on a Remington bolt action and I ripped the extractor grove off getting the bolt open. Needless to say, I stopped those "experiments". ;-)

Yes, it was 2400. :-( Haven't checked to see if I pulled off the extractor or case head, hope it was case head.

taco650
01-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Yes, it was 2400. :-( Haven't checked to see if I pulled off the extractor or case head, hope it was case head.

Just to clarify, I ripped the extractor groove on the case head. No damage to the gun. FYI, W231 does not work in .223 Rem.[smilie=1:

TXGunNut
01-01-2014, 10:42 AM
The case head IS softer than the extractor but the way my luck is running I'll be clicking on the Brownell's link before the day is over. It was all I could do to muscle the action open to field strip it so I'll be giving it a good looking over before proceeding. 231 does sound a little fast for the 223 but, hey, I use 2400 in 30-30 and a few others so it was worth looking into.

taco650
01-01-2014, 10:54 AM
The case head IS softer than the extractor but the way my luck is running I'll be clicking on the Brownell's link before the day is over. It was all I could do to muscle the action open to field strip it so I'll be giving it a good looking over before proceeding. 231 does sound a little fast for the 223 but, hey, I use 2400 in 30-30 and a few others so it was worth looking into.

IIRC, my rifle required some "persuasion" to get the bolt handle up LOL!

I laugh now but should be counting my blessings that I didn't get a face-full of steel and wood.

missionary5155
01-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Greetings
Reading about your 35 Whelen just keeps me intrigued as I have a 375 Whelen waiting to be shot when we next get up north there.
Some years ago when I had a stuck bolt - case condition an old shooter showed me a "better" solution than brute force. Put a rod down the barrel that will enter the case. Give the rod a "wack" to jar the case loose back towards the bolt face. Put pressure on the bolt (or lever) to open it. It may move just a hair or it may open. But continue the "wack the rod and pressure on the bolt routine" till the case unsticks.
Granted on a hunt we get the action motivated... but experience should get our attention when a case is real stuck.
Mike in Peru

taco650
01-01-2014, 01:26 PM
When my "oops" occurred I was at a private gun range I belonged to at the time and not out hunting. I was also by myself which saved me embarrassment at the time. Glad I lived to learn from the experience. I still experiment with powders a little but do more study before putting powder in the case.

TXGunNut
01-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Greetings, Mike! It wasn't too badly stuck after all, just more than the extractor could dislodge. A few taps with a solid steel cleaning rod with an old jag dislodged it quite easily. I guess seasons like this last one reinforce why I have so many backup plans; I seldom need a backup rifle or a sidearm but this past year they've come into play more than I care to admit. Most years they're just along for the ride, this year they got to come out & save a hunt or two. I have relatively few hunting opportunities so if a rifle goes down or gives me any reason for doubt I case it up, uncase a backup and go hunting. Plenty of time to sort it out when I get home. Besides, my "backup" rifle is generally a tried & proven gun, "primary" is generally a current "project" and sometimes it has a few bugs to work out.
I'll get back to work on my 35 Whelen and sort out the latest issues on my 35 Rem soon but right now I want to play with .22's, C&B and SAA revolvers and maybe even that frontstuffer that's lurking around here somewhere.

TXGunNut
01-02-2014, 12:34 AM

Good luck TXGN. Post pictures.

Good idea, almost forgot. Pics or it didn't happen, lol. Just put 41 pounds of venison in the freezer, "little" doe was a chunk!

Tn Jim
01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
:drinks:That's good eatin' there. Low neck shot works every time!

taco650
01-02-2014, 02:10 PM

Good idea, almost forgot. Pics or it didn't happen, lol. Just put 41 pounds of venison in the freezer, "little" doe was a chunk!

What do you estimate the "on the hoof" weight of this doe?

TXGunNut
01-02-2014, 10:38 PM
100 pounds, tops. But I was way off on the yield so I don't know. She was a fat little chunk! I was figuring 25 pounds of meat, 30 tops.

TXGunNut
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
:drinks:That's good eatin' there. Low neck shot works every time!

Thanks, no better meat on four feet. :-) Wasn't actually a neck shot, she was headed my way fast and the boolit stopped somewhere between the entrance wound and her right hip. Smashed that shoulder and took the top off her heart along the way. Would have liked to recover the boolit but things got a little messy.

35 shooter
01-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Sounds like you made a really good shot if she was coming head on. Ate the last of the deer patties from last year tonight. My mouth started watering just looking at the picture of your deer. She was a little fatty. Gonna definitely be goooood eatin. Congrats. Looks like you and that 45/70 were made for each other judging how you did with it this year. Good looking rig too.

TXGunNut
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks, that 45-70 is quickly becoming my favorite hunting rifle. His name is Thumper, lol. New Leupold 1.5-6 a few years back but it hasn't stayed home when I went hunting since I bought it several years ago. I used it for my first CB kill and it hasn't seen a j-word since. I don't enjoy range trips with it and sometimes wish it had a pistol grip but when I need to put something on the ground it works quite well. It was a pretty easy shot, actually. 43 yds but closing fast. Browned a couple pounds of venison chunks and started some venison stew a few hours ago. Life is good on my little spot on the prairie.

geargnasher
01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Sometimes the angles are all wrong. Congrats on the kill! Nothin' like a slow, heavy boolit to get the job done without wiping out half the meat, even if you don't have the opportunity to place the boolit from the direction you'd prefer.

Gear

TXGunNut
01-06-2014, 01:14 AM
That's the beauty of the 45-70. Doesn't seem to matter if it's smashing thru heavy bone or soft tissue, it gets to where I need it to go if I do my part. Does just fine whether it's a nice little doe or a big nasty boar.
30-30 and 35 Whelen went to the range yesterday. 30-30 is doing fine, 35 Whelen needs some work. Maybe next year will be better for them, if not a certain GG will be waiting back in camp.