PDA

View Full Version : 8x56r and gas check question

mistermog
12-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to rifle ammo and contemplating starting that in addition to my handgun loads. Ive avoided anything that used gas checks before but the only mold I can find for the boolit is a gas checked type.

Being at 1300-1500 fps, do you need to use a gas check at that velocity? Can you omit the gas check from a GC mold?

I haven't commited to anything yet, I don't have any brass but I did see FMJ bullets online for about 100/$35. Not that I plan on shooting this much. Heck 50 rounds would probably last me years.

Just looking for knowledge at this point, which will kinda flow over into the hotter handgun loads too.

Thanks

35 shooter
12-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Provided with a good boolit fit you may get by without the check at those velocities with the right powders. I've always had better luck using a check if the boolit was designed for it. I've always had better accuracy at longer ranges using a check on gas check type boolits as in anything past 150 yards.....Good luck....35shooter

Bret4207
12-02-2013, 08:37 AM
There is a great big section down the page specifically started because this exact question gets asked at least 2-3 times a week. Go to GAS CHECKS and read the stickies.

Cmasailor
12-02-2013, 09:40 AM
in another ctg or firearm you could get some educated guesses in both directions and it might work with or without a gas check depending on your alloy, lube, powder selection... However, having experience with the rifle and cartridge you're asking about specifically, I would say the check is almost certainly needed. Most 8x56R rifles have huge throats, large enough to chamber a round loaded with a 338 boo lit... and still not touch... some are tighter however so my guess is your boo lit will need all the help it can get to minimize leading. especially without tailoring the boolit to the rifle, i.e. with sizing the boolit + .001 or .002 larger than your slugged bbl's actual measurement...

Mine was minute of barn at 50yds without check and minute of paper with check, and the same powder... more tweaking with loads and sizers etc and I finally got 1'' groups at 50yds to Poa... it was a lot more work and a heck of a lot more time invested (researching, reading, testing, loading, Cleaning, repeat) than loading the Hrn J-words to factory specs... but I did it.
good luck and have fun.

Wayne Smith
12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Don't know what they are like without them, but be aware that you need 338 gas checks.

mistermog
12-02-2013, 08:19 PM
haha minute of barn. :) I like that. Ok thanks guys. I will do more investigating, like I said this was exploratory. I didn't know there was a gas check question already but I figured with this gun something would be different since their bores vary so much.

thanks!