PDA

View Full Version : Lee dies for 223

el34
12-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I've happily used Lee dies for six calibers of handgun loading but haven't reloaded for rifle since the '70s. Two weeks ago I bought my first AR15 (Sig M400), shot it on thanksgiving day, loved it, and now plan to cast and reload for it.

I went online to order a set of Lee dies and see there are 3 different families for rifle dies.

Any recommendations? Include FL sizer? Lee is already cost-effective, I'm interested in whatever does the best job with the Classic Turret press.

I need to pick between .224 and .225 sizing dies for PC'ed boolits, is it obvious to everyone except me which to use or is it a slug the barrel thing?

Firebricker
12-01-2013, 09:34 PM
With Lee rifle dies I would get the three die set which includes full length sizing die, bullet seating die and the factory crimp die. As far as sizing die for your boolits .001 over stated bore size is rule of thumb but if you want to get the best performance possible slugging the barrel is the way to go. FB

jmort
12-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Lee Precision just came out with a 4 die rifle set which is what I'm getting. It was on their site yesterday and will reappear soon I assume. It was under the New for 2014 tab.

starmac
12-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm curious, in the 4 die set, I assume 1 full length die, 1 seater die, 1 factory crimp, what is the extra? neck size, or maybe a trim die?

el34
12-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Lee Precision just came out with a 4 die rifle set which is what I'm getting. It was on their site yesterday and will reappear soon I assume. It was under the New for 2014 tab.

That's what prompted me to ask the folks. I saw it on titanreloading.com. If it's new maybe nobody has any experience yet.

FB, I agree with the 3 die over 2 die, wondering about the benefits of die #4. I might just order it to find out.

For the boolit sizer I will powdercoat then size, I'm thinkin' the 0.225 only because of gut feel. Being data driven I'm having a stern talk with myself about that. Maybe get both, 0.224 for pre-PC and 0.225 after. At least I'd have both to do whatever works out.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-02-2013, 12:22 AM
4th die is the neck sizer collet die. It is a great die if firing from a bolt gun. FL resize the first go around then neck sizer thereafter. It keeps your brass formed to fit your chamber. Or you can just FL resize all the time. Up to you!

Larry Gibson
12-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Lee dies are fine but for the AR a RCBS X-die will save you time not having to trim the cases and will give much better case life. If you can get just the X-die (standard one as the SB or "AR" X-die is not really needed with your AR) then the Lee Collet die set would also be "nice" to have if you ever plan on NSing for a bolt gun or SS rifle. Otherwise the standard RCBS X-die set will do you much better for just the AR. A little more spendy but you will consider it money well spent down the road.

Larry Gibson

el34
12-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Otherwise the standard RCBS X-die set will do you much better for just the AR. A little more spendy but you will consider it money well spent down the road.

Larry Gibson

Thanks Larry. I'll very probably go this way. It'll match the NOE 70gr mold you recommended- I ordered it with the hole drilled for a temp probe. I'm working on the theory that by regulating both the alloy temp and the mold temp I can find the happy point for consistent boolit casting.

Recluse
12-04-2013, 01:01 AM
What .223 I shoot is always done through a semi-auto platform, so I full-length size everything every time. As Larry pointed out, the RCBS X-die saves you some serious time and it works like a dream on a turret setup.

I like the RCBS seating die better than the Lee, but like the Lee FCD. However, if funds become a consideration, I can easily live without the FCD in .223.

So for a four-hole Lee turret, I'd go with the RCBS x-die, a Lee universal rifle charging die, Lee or RCBS seating die and a Lee FCD for the final stage.

:coffee:

el34
12-05-2013, 01:41 AM
So for a four-hole Lee turret, I'd go with the RCBS x-die, a Lee universal rifle charging die, Lee or RCBS seating die and a Lee FCD for the final stage.

:coffee:

Ordered exactly that from Midway. Well, I think I did- they are out of the RCBS x-die but had a 'clearance' price on a 2-die set consisting of the x-die and boolit seater. Descriptions of the x-die were identical.

I also got the Lee dual disk set to add to the powder measure. Dang it, I forgot a shell holder.

Mucho appreciation to all.