PDA

View Full Version : nose pour vs bottom pour

wrangler
12-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Is there any difference in accuracy between nose pour and bottom poured boolits?

I would like to try a nose pour 114gr 313 for my 32/20 but don't even know if it would be practical to have one made.
Thanks
Jim

220swiftfn
12-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Well, with a nose pour mold, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good base. Having a good base is the most important thing in cast, the base "steers" it (an imperfect nose won't open a group, but a bad base will....)

That being said, if someone is casting with a "base pour" mold, and being careful to get good, well-filled bases, they will see no difference between the two accuracy wise.

So what it boils down to is that a nose pour is more forgiving about technique, and *may* be beneficial if you're using an alloy that doesn't fill out well otherwise (I'm thinking along the lines of a BPCR with 40-1 alloy....)

Dan

Gunlaker
12-02-2013, 02:13 AM
Some schuetzen shooters use the .32-20. You might want to see if a Hoch mould is made for this diameter. They are nose pour moulds and work well once you get the hang of casting with them.

Chris.