PDA

View Full Version : Graphite?????

abunaitoo
12-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Anyone know if spray on graphite will do anything to molten lead??????
I'm cleaning two pots I just got. Had to scrape off lots of lead stuck to the spout rod.
I was wondering if spraying it with graphite paint would help??????

MtGun44
12-02-2013, 01:22 AM
Graphite is just carbon, totally inert at reasonable temps. If it does oxidize,
it turns to carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, both gases. Don't put it in the
mold but it shouldn't hurt to lube other parts at high temp.

Bill

abunaitoo
12-02-2013, 05:56 AM
I've always wondered about coating a mould with it. Never had the nerve to try it.
If it's just carbon, how would it be bad????
I smoke all my moulds. Smoke is carbon.
Seems to help them fill out better.

dikman
12-04-2013, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't use graphite paint. As for graphite itself, it won't do any harm. I've cast model parts, with solder, using molds made from RTV silicone. They recommend coating the molds with graphite to act as a release agent, and it works well.

At one stage I was having problems with round balls not releasing from a Lee mold, so I rubbed a little graphite in with my finger. Worked fine, and eventually the mold started behaving itself without needing the graphite. Just rub it on the spout rod, but just make sure the rod is very smooth (less likely to have any lead stick to it).

bangerjim
12-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Graphite is the standard mold & crucible material for gold, silver, and platinum ingot formation. It is inert and withstands those very high temps numerous times B4 deteriorating.

Example:

http://www.graphitestore.com/items_list.asp/action/prod/prd_id/74/cat_id/12

As far as a "paint", the only thing I have ever seen is a graphite-carrying spray for lubing door locks! Any "graphite paint" I have seen is just graphite gray color enamel, latex, or epoxy. There is no graphite in there! They even sell graphite gray color powder coating powder.

Stick with the tired a proven molding/melting techniques we all use.

banger

billyb
12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Graphite in mold cavies will reduce the size of your boolets. Used on your metering rod in your pot will help for a little while, it soon burns off. I use the spray on graphite in my ingot molds and lube the metering rod and shoulder bolts the handle rides on. Bill

abunaitoo
12-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks all.
I don't think I'll be trying it.

tomme boy
12-04-2013, 07:28 PM
When I worked at a hot extrusion metal plant, we used graphite all the time to lube molds. We would heat up steel round bars in an induction heater to brite red. Then the operator would spray a water and graphite mix into the die on the 300 ton press. Normally it would take a 1" diameter bar 4-6" long and it would extrude that piece out to about a 12" bar with a round head on it. What this was, was a bolt before the head was sheared to make the hex head and the threads were rolled. Graphite makes a very good high heat and pressure lube.

Some of the other lubes were a straight stearate lube, to do the same thing at a lesser pressure with no heat.

Char-Gar
12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
I have used NEI Mold Prep for years. It is graphite in a carrier that evaporates off leaving a very thin coat of graphite in the cavities. It does not reduce the diameter of the bullet that I can measure and I have tried the same mold and same alloy with and without it to see. It works very well. I have used it for over 25 years with good results.