PDA

View Full Version : Best nose shape/design?

NSP64
12-01-2013, 06:28 PM
For subsonic in .308?
Round nose, flat, HP?

w5pv
12-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I have always been partial RFN,in my 30 cals

williamwaco
12-01-2013, 08:09 PM
I have always been partial RFN,in my 30 cals

Me too

NSP64
12-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I was wondering, because I load RFN lee 170 gr with GC and a Saeco that is HPed. The Saeco can be HP or FN (Plain base 190hp of 203 FN) The Saeco doesn't seem to want to stabilize in my 1-10 barrel @subsonic.

Bigslug
12-01-2013, 09:43 PM
The British/Confederate Whitworth bullet was a round nose; so were most of the slugs for the Sharps buffalo rifles; so are most of the Olympic-grade match cartridges for the .22LR. All of these are known for delivering high precision while spending a great deal of their flight time cruising below the speed of sound. Seems like the obvious way to roll to me - for best accuracy and maximizing the distance potential at least.

HARRYMPOPE
12-02-2013, 12:35 AM
The guys winning Schuetzen matches are using plainbase .32 caliber 200g+ pointed bullets @ 1200-1300 fps.twist rate is usually 1-16.

303Guy
12-02-2013, 02:05 AM
There is a nose shape that best suites dropping from supersonic to subsonic i.e. that remains stable during the transonic phase. Some nose shapes are more stable at supersonic and some much less stable at subsonic and even worse at transonic. I figured it all out playing with a rather neat ballistic software made available by a Scottish barrel maker (I'd consider buying barrels from them due to that package). I forget the name. If you or anyone is interested I can do a search for it and post the link (too lazy right now - beer time:drinks:).

Bret4207
12-02-2013, 08:36 AM
If you're going after anything live you want to make dead, FN is the only way to go.

Tom Myers
12-02-2013, 09:42 AM
There is a nose shape that best suites dropping from supersonic to subsonic i.e. that remains stable during the transonic phase. Some nose shapes are more stable at supersonic and some much less stable at subsonic and even worse at transonic. I figured it all out playing with a rather neat ballistic software made available by a Scottish barrel maker (I'd consider buying barrels from them due to that package). I forget the name. If you or anyone is interested I can do a search for it and post the link (too lazy right now - beer time:drinks:).

I would be very much interested. When you have the time, and after the beer motivation, a link would be sincerely appreciated.

Larry Gibson
12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
For accuracy? Then that's all that's considered......accuracy 1st and foremost. If the bullet is well designed with a tight fitting bore riding nose with most of it bearing surface in the bore then a short nose of either RN or semi-spire point will do well. That has been covered.

For hunting? bret4027 is correct in that terminal effect must also be considered. The FP is the best for both accuracy and terminal effect. It may also be cast soft and HP'd for increased terminal effectiveness, even at subsonic velocities.

Larry Gibson

NSP64
12-02-2013, 11:28 AM
The HP shifts the CG aft on boolits, at subsonic would you want the CG aft or fwd?

johnson1942
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
shooting a 1200 ft per sec., my swaged paperpatch bullets and lubed cast shot best with the kieth flat nose. round nose and roundnose hollow points very close to the kieth nose. the ones that did very bad at that ft. per sec. were the slightly longer pointed noses. i was surprised the kieth flat nose did the best, can any one tell me why?

303Guy
12-03-2013, 12:42 AM
I would be very much interested.
It's the Border Barrels website (http://www.border-barrels.com/border.htm) that has/had the ballistic program. It's not available now for some reason - they say it's been 'superseded' and to contact them. Try contacting them and see what happens.

HARRYMPOPE
12-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Read match results (or talk to a match shooter)and that's where you find what works day in and day out.Only when they(someone) finds something better(winning more) will they change.

Here is what i see the PB guys shoot at matches i attend.

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/moulds.htm (the .32 Darr Bullet is the one to look at)