PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Range Trip

Bzcraig
12-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Went to the range yesterday to test some loads in my recently acquired GP100. I tried loads shooting the Lee 105 SWC (trying to find an enjoyable load for my wife) using Trailboss, Accurate #2, and W231. Also some mid range 357 loads with a Lee 158 using 4227 and 2400. What I discovered was that gun shot everything well. I did have one round I forgot to put powder in, noticed the change in sound and thankfully the boolit had not exited the case. I also learned a lesson: my notes for loads I work up can never have too little info. I was trying some new loads in one of my 9mm and was getting cratered primers. Check the OAL when I got home which seemed too small then couldn't figure out where I got it from. From now on my load notes will have source and page numbers.

Lonegun1894
12-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a good time, and educational. Also, thanks for the tip on source. That is one thing that mine are almost always missing, cause when starting a new load, I check several books and start at the lowest, which isn't always from the same book, and work up from there. So which GP100 did you get?

jmort
12-01-2013, 01:09 PM
"What I discovered was that gun shot everything well."

Two of the best Lee Precision boolits. Got to love the GP100.

Bzcraig
12-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Lonegun- A stainless 3"

J- it is easy to shoot well with this thing. It's making me think that is the reason I enjoyed revolvers years ago before autos became so popular. I was looking at a picture of my collection back in '87 and noticed the majority were revolvers but now it's autos. I'm thinking I have a glass of "revolver koolaid" in my hands getting ready to drink.

Lonegun1894
12-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I have a SP101 2 1/4" I just qualified with this morning, to go with my Security Six 4", and 6" GP100, and various Vaqueros and Blackhawks. I understand, I'm a bit of a Ruger fan too. Gotta love the way these things shoot.