PDA

View Full Version : Loobe Question???

308w
12-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I know that 75% of the boolit shooters here know far more than I do about this grand addiction we have. Most of my cast shooting has been handguns 38s thru 45s, and a very little rifle casting, some 30-06 and 45-70.

The reason I got started down this path is I liked to shoot alot, and I could do way more of it with boolits than the jstuff. The fact that my boolits shot way better than most of the factory stuff was just a wonderful byproduct, and I had some family who were great mentors to a teenage youngun.

But to my question, I've shot pounds of lyman alox, and more recently have used quite a bit of lbt's blue lube. I found the blue lube better, in my experience, . I run it thru a lyman 450 and since I don't have a fancy lube heater I would just heat the lube chamber with a soldering torch for 45 to 60 sec. and be good to go.

But I don't think I've seen anyone else here reference the lbt blue, Why not? I know abunch of you make your own lube, is that purely for the fact its cheaper, or is it because its a lot better than what I'm using? I mean I buy it by the pound from Veral and I have lots more problems finding that much primers and powder than the lube being a significant cost factor.

Just like to hear your thoughts on home made vs factory lubes. Thanks, Joey S aka 308w

williamwaco
12-01-2013, 12:19 PM
The factory lubes are so good, and so cheap, I don't see any point in making my own.

That said: Many people really enjoy making their own "stuff".
I really enjoy casting bullets. Many people prefer to buy them.

I used noting but Lyman 50/50 for 50+ years.
I never experimented with anything else because in never failed me. Not once.
I still use it on most rifle bullets but am experimenting with LLA / Xlox for rifle bullets.

I have completely converted to tumble lube for all handgun bullets.
I can tumble 300 of them in less than two minutes.
( Of course I have to wait for them to dry but that is not "my" time )

helice
12-01-2013, 12:37 PM
308W,
Like you I have used LBT's BlueLube with excellent results. It was conversation with a member of this forum (Edd Badgley -Great Guy) that prompted me to build a lube mould and melt some bee's wax. I now have enough lube to keep me shooting for many months and components that will let me make a lot more. I'm not at all certain that my lube is better than any that can be purchased. I did it because I wanted the experience of making my own. Was it worth it?? Yes! Would I do it again?? Yes, considering that I had the free time. I did it for the knowledge and for the fun. There is a lot of information here in the lube section and it was both fun and informative for me to try to figure it all out. That said, there is nothing wrong with LBT Blue or the White lubes sold below and they are sold so cheap and are so effective it makes it hard to argue for making your own.

jmort
12-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Some like to make their own, just like most everyone here casts. The LBT Blue is good stuff and more people are using it that it might appear.

308w
12-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks all! The information here, makes this one of if not the best forum on the net!!!

w5pv
12-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Making your own loob is akin to casting your own boolits,just the satisfaction of knowing you made it with your own hands.

35 shooter
12-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I think one of the main advantages to making your own lube is the ability to tweak it a bit for better shooting in the hottest or coldest weather. Having said that most good lubes whether bought or homemade work over a pretty good temp. range as far as normal shooting or hunting weather. I've heard a lot of good reports on Lbt Blue and also the White Label lubes. I make and use both Simple lube and Ben's Red and they both work well for me. Like williamwaco i've had excellent results with 50/50 but with my hottest loads (2600, 2700fps) i added 1 coat of LLA on top of it per tumble lubing. My rifle shoots best from about 1800 to 2400 fps anyway so adding the LLA was mostly a mute point.

fredj338
12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Like most, I tried making lubes just so that I know how incase WhiteLabel or Randy stop selling their exc lubes. I won't go back to $5 sticks. I can barely make a 2oz stick cheaper than $1.75 buying ingredients.

geargnasher
12-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Read the very first post in the Extreme Lube Quest thread for my complete explanation of why I make my own.

Gear

L1A1Rocker
12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Somebody mention lobes???

http://www.thirdgen.org/tech/images/Camshaft_primer_m408cad2d.jpg

btroj
12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Do you lube your lobes?

L1A1Rocker
12-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Do you lube your lobes?

You really should buy me a drink before you get so personal. lol

btroj
12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey, you posted a photo of your lobes, I figured it was fair game. I hate a tease

myg30
12-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Nice shinny lobes at that !! Drink ? I made some 45/45/10. Love it. As far as melting bee's wax and making my own lube not to game yet.
Reason is, while smelting some lead I threw in some old lubed boolits and before ya know it, several little yellow fellers were buzzing my head. It was about 45-50F out side. I thought them stayed in the ground till summer 70's +. So when its 10 F outside and im bored to death then I'll think about making lube.
Till then BAC is it fer me !!

Mike

paul h
12-04-2013, 09:55 PM
LBT blue is an excellent lube.

As far as why I've tried other lubes over the years, I'm a tinkerer, I've had access to free beeswax, and LBT lube is expensive. I don't think I've made a lube that is better than LBT blue, but I've certainly made some that work as well in handguns. I haven't done enough lube testing with cast in rifles for an informed opinion.

I'd say if you're only using a few sticks a year, just keep going with LBT. If you're using a stick a month, you might want to consider making your own lube or purchasing a less expensive lube.