PDA

View Full Version : Brace of does...

Silvercreek Farmer
11-30-2013, 10:24 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/mlindsay527/PB290102_zps50a01cda.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/mlindsay527/media/PB290102_zps50a01cda.jpg.html)

I was hunting for the second year on a friend's 8 acre hayfield. 3rd trip out this season, saw nothing the first two morning trips, so decided to give the evening a try. Around 5:30 I hear noise then see a doe jump the fence into the field. I get on the rifle but the shot was over 200 yards and the doe was facing me head on. It was a perfect shot for my friend but he didn't take it, later he told me he wanted me to have the first shot and held off hoping the deer would come in closer. She did come closer, but I was still expecting him to take the shot so I held off. At this point she started moving away so I decided it was now or never. I followed along as she trotted across the field and when she stopped I let fly with a 170 grain Lee cast out of COWW and pushed along with 21 grains of 2400 out of my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06. She ran and I followed along through the scope. As I did, I noticed another doe in the field, but wanted to make sure the first didn't need a follow-up. I could see a red spray coming out of the first doe as she ran so I figured I was good there. I got back on the second doe and let fly. DRT. Both shots were in the 150 yard range. The first doe got it through both lungs and ran 75 yards or so and the the second was hit in the spine quartering away and the boolit exited towards the front of the shoulder. My friend later told me he never even saw the second doe because he was tracking a spike buck following the does, but never was able to get a shot at it. As expected, the boolits did their job just fine. Spent last night working them up to the howls and yips of coyotes. Got one in the fridge and the other was skin and hung high until I could I could finish it up this morning. Be before I did, I kicked off the day with a little backstrap and venison gravy biscuits. Not sure if it was the coyotes or dogs, but the pile of legs I left laying was cleaned up by this morning. I would have been grateful to get one deer, and never even really considered the possibility of getting two. What an incredible evening!

AlaskanGuy
11-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Wow.. Way cool.... Nice work and nice write up.... Thanks for sharing... I
bet the kids were thinking.. "My Dad ROCKS" awesome way to leave the hunting bug in their brains.... They will never forget that day when dad brought home the bacon.... lol

AG

LuckySavage
11-30-2013, 10:32 PM
That's some fine shooting! Congrats!

11-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Nicely done. Congrats.

Ramjet-SS
11-30-2013, 11:05 PM
That is what good hunts are all about your bullets great shooting at some excellent table fare. But the most important is those two future hunters grinning ear to ear in that pic..............priceless.

Wolfer
11-30-2013, 11:14 PM
That load is very near what I shoot. When I first started shooting cast in rifles that's where I ended up. My loads are running something under 1800 fps. I felt like I needed more to hunt but season caught me without working up faster loads so I just went with what I had. Shot a couple deer and 5 coyotes and saw no reason to change anything. The ratio of killing power to recoil is unbelievable.

richhodg66
12-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Nice job! Those are two pretty good sized does for the southeast. Looks like a full freezer to me. I'll hav to try that load of 2400 in my '06 with the 311041, should be pretty close to the same.

CastingFool
12-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Congrats on the two does. That is a great story, too!

Jailer
12-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Those are a couple of nice does. Nice job and good on ya for getting the kids involved.

Djones
12-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Cool story and picture. What alloy are you running in your boolits? I shoot the same boolit out of my 308...at paper or coyotes here in Indiana.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Cool story and picture. What alloy are you running in your boolits? I shoot the same boolit out of my 308...at paper or coyotes here in Indiana.

Now that I have had some sleep, I'm recalling that it's probably 80% COWW and 20% SOWW or there about. I made that batch of alloy before I knew to separate the two. It shot well enough so I never worried about it. Wish I could recover a boolit, but all have been pass throughs. Exit holes show a little expansion and they have never fragmented.

EMC45
12-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Great Job! Plenty of food there.

white eagle
12-01-2013, 01:47 PM
outstanding nice brace you have there
very nice friend as well
congrats well done

TXGunNut
12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Wow, looks like we should have done a GB on 21ft freezers this summer. Ya'll are hauling home the venison!

TheGrimReaper
12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Awsome, good times!!!