PDA

View Full Version : Swapping molds on a master caster?

kayak1
11-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I am a new owner of a used Master caster. I used a 10p nail to remove the roll pins first the first and then the head of the nail to put a mold in it.

That's clearly not the correct tool for the job. I went to the local hardware store and didn't find a roll pin punch.

I have this one on order:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOACCEK

I the video for the mold replace he used a roll pin punch and a roll pin driver. I think that I have the punch covered, but haven't been able to find a roll pin driver.

Does anybody have a pointer where to look?

Thanks in advance.

landers
12-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Kayak1, I would just give Magma Engineering a call, they are great to work with, their quality is top notch, and you will have the correct tool for the job. That Master Caster is a great machine, you can really crank the boolits out.
Landers

kayak1
12-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Landers, thanks for the message, I will give Magma a call Monday, I have a few molds to send to them to get converted.

ReloaderFred
12-01-2013, 10:42 PM
If you have a drillpress, or even better a lathe, you can make your own roll pin seating punch. I made one from a cut off 5/16ths bolt on my drillpress. I just cut the head off and chucked it in the press and used a cutting tool to make the little stud on the end to go inside the roll pin. The stud guides the pin into the hole and the shoulder of the punch stops it when it's seated flush with the carrier.

Hope this helps.

Fred