PDA

View Full Version : Rechambering a 38spl/357mag to 38Super?

Joel Chavez
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Can this be done? I was told you can shoot 38Super out of a 38/357 pistol, but I'm not sure. I won't do it, but just curious. What would it take to convert a Spl to Super? Thanks in advance. Later.:Fire:

beagle
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
#2 son has indeed fired .38 Supers in one of his .357 Colt Pythons. He's also fired and so have I the .38 AMU brass.

Now, it can be done but I don't see why you'd go to the trouble when the .357 can be pushed heavier and faster and even .38 Special handloaded +P loads can be pushed to exceed .38 Super loads with equivelant weight bullets./beagle

Bullshop
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Joel I am gonna go on what I think to be true so dont take it as gospel. I believe the 38 super is a 9mm (.356") so may be iffy in a .358 to .360" bore of a 38/357mag with factoer ammo. I hear the same thing from folks that have convertable 357/9mm revolvers. Of course you could load it bith fatter boolits.
The kicker may be the rim or lack of one on the super case. It may be akin to shooting 45 auto in a 45 colt cylendar, ya need clips. I dont know if ever such a thing existed as a moon type clip for the 38 super. It seems counter to availability. What I mean is I rarely ever find 38 super brass lying about but am always finding 38 special and 357 mag.
It is likely possible to adjust cartridge length to hold the head back close enough to the firing pin but all things considered I think it would end up being a , well there I did it and not anything that would better the situation of accuracy and availability.
I may be wrong, I have never even fired a 38 super but these are my thoughts at the moment.

BIC/BS

Skrenos
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM
38 super is semi-rimmed, just like a .32 acp. 38 supers drop right in and fire just fine. Initial extraction shouldnt be a problem, but ejecting the cases can be iffy depending on how loose your chambers are. If they are loose, the extractor star can slip over the cases and let them hang. Just make sure you give it a good whack when you eject your cases.

Just make sure you clean your chambers as well as you would when shooting .38 specials out of a .357 mag. Same thing goes for shooting .32 acp out of a .32 long/mag chamber.

S.R.Custom
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Indeed... the nominal diamater of a .38 super rim is .406" and the chambers of my model 60 measure .381". Rim thicknesses are close enough as to be negligable in their difference. But as noted, extraction can be iffy if the cases get sticky; .012" of a rim ain't much...