PDA

View Full Version : Pressure cooker Venison Goulasch

pipehand
11-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Except for a huge pressure canner, I've managed to cook without a pressure cooker my whole life. Until yesterday, when I bought one just because I had a yearning for some comfort food. I've made similar stews in cast iron, but I had my heart set on making it the way Mom did. So I called Mom and got the recipe.

1 Pound Venison or Beef, cubed in +/- 1" pieces

2 medium Onions, chopped, not minced

1&1/4 Teaspoons of Hungarian Sweet Paprika. ( I have to order it online, only generic paprika is sold around here.)

1/4 teaspoon of Dry Mustard (Didn't have this, so I subbed a full teaspoon of Spicy Brown mustard)

2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar

1 Teaspoon or less of Salt

3 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce

3/4 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar

6 Tablespoons Ketchup

1 cup water*

Oil, or lard for browning meat

Brown meat without flour. I used a separate cast iron pan and browned a few pieces at a time and transferred them to the pressure cooker pot. Then I threw the onions into the cast iron pan and gave them a quick saute, and added a little water to deglaze the pan. Put the onions etc in the pressure cooker. Add all the other ingredients, and use just enough water* to cover the meat.

Cook in pressure cooker for 25 minutes after it starts to "jiggle" the regulator. Serve over egg noodles.

Turned out Awesome! The venison was super moist and tender, and the pressure actually forces the seasoning into the meat.

I would have liked to use homemade egg noodles, but our hens haven't laid any eggs for a while now. I'm resisting having to buy grocery store eggs.

oneokie
11-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Except for a huge pressure canner, I've managed to cook without a pressure cooker my whole life. Until yesterday, when I bought one just because I had a yearning for some comfort food. I've made similar stews in cast iron, but I had my heart set on making it the way Mom did. So I called Mom and got the recipe.

1 Pound Venison or Beef, cubed in +/- 1" pieces

2 medium Onions, chopped, not minced

1&1/4 Teaspoons of Hungarian Sweet Paprika. ( I have to order it online, only generic paprika is sold around here.)

1/4 teaspoon of Dry Mustard (Didn't have this, so I subbed a full teaspoon of Spicy Brown mustard)

2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar

1 Teaspoon or less of Salt

3 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce

3/4 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar

6 Tablespoons Ketchup

1 cup water*

Oil, or lard for browning meat

Brown meat without flour. I used a separate cast iron pan and browned a few pieces at a time and transferred them to the pressure cooker pot. Then I threw the onions into the cast iron pan and gave them a quick saute, and added a little water to deglaze the pan. Put the onions etc in the pressure cooker. Add all the other ingredients, and use just enough water* to cover the meat.

Cook in pressure cooker for 25 minutes after it starts to "jiggle" the regulator. Serve over egg noodles.

Turned out Awesome! The venison was super moist and tender, and the pressure actually forces the seasoning into the meat.

I would have liked to use homemade egg noodles, but our hens haven't laid any eggs for a while now. I'm resisting having to buy grocery store eggs.

25 minutes is not enough time to properly pressure can meat.

pipehand
11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Probably wasn't clear enough on that. I just bought the Pressure COOKER yesterday. Have a big pressure canner, but have only used it for canning-according to the Ball and USDA guidelines.. The recipe is not for canning- its for preparing a meal.

For some reason I had never used a pressure cooker before, although I grew up eating lots of food that was cooked in them. They were the microwave oven of their day- cooked food fast. Unlike a microwave oven, the meat is kept moist and made tender.

oneokie
11-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Thank you for clearing that up.

rush1886
12-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Pipehand, your Mom's recipe is great!

I got lucky on a moose last season, and even though a youngish bull, the steaks and roasts were a mite tough. So the pressure cooker angle was a natural.

I am a fan of goulash, the way my wife's family does theirs, and this recipe is similar yet different. I managed to convince my wife it was worth a try. With me cooking, BTW.

I subbed red wine vinegar, for the cider vinegar, and a 6 oz can of tomato paste, for the catsup, with all else per the recipe. Went to get the egg noodles out of the pantry, and the wife had used them for some chicken soup, without telling me. Fettucine noodles worked well enough.

Honestly, it was great, and I'll recommend it to anyone who enjoys goulash, in any of it's myriad forms. I'm thinking of adding some garlic, and veggies, and using it for a stew base, as well!

richhodg66
12-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Could this be done with a slow cooker? Somewhere in the move, it seems I lost our pressure cooker.

pipehand
12-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Richhodg66, until I tried it in the pressure cooker, I was never able to make it as good and tender. Tried it in the Dutch Oven, both with coals, and in the house oven. I've never had good luck with a slow cooker for much. The pressure from the steam seems to put the coloring from the paprika into the meat.

If you're short one pressure cooker, I think mine was $19 @ WallyWorld. Not the $200 plus model from Williams& Sonoma, but it works.

richhodg66
12-28-2013, 08:46 AM
I had a small one, never used it much and I have a feeling I may have gotten rid of it. I have a huge one still because I was going to start canning some of the fish I bowfish for but that's another backburner project that never got off theground.

I'll get another one, but I may try the slow cooker in the meantime. I've been using one more and more lately, seems easy to just leave something sit while at work and have it ready when you get home. The goulash sounds good and I think I have pretty much everything here to do it, so I'm gonna try.