PDA

View Full Version : No more PC for me....

MBTcustom
11-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Until I get a new toaster oven that is!
Mrs. goodsteel has stolen it and it now sits on the kitchen counter and we are using the fool out of it for darn near everything. You know you can get a square casserole dish in that little thing?!?
Anyway, I guess I can't begrudge her that, seeing as how many tupperware containers, T-shirts, and dish rags I have waylaid over the years! LOL!
The tables appear to have turned in this house. I have to wonder though: Am I losing control?
Have any of you other booliteers experienced a counter offensive move like this?

I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong, but I think the problem is that I didn't paint it camo or something fast enough.

possom813
11-30-2013, 12:30 AM
My friend, not to tell a man his business, but has it been used to powdercoat yet?

It might not be real safe to cook in, if so.

Just sayin'

Now, if the above criteria wasn't met and it's not seen powdercoat, and she claimed it before you used it, well then, that's on you :drinks:

MBTcustom
11-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Not enough to worry about. She wiped it out real good.

I wonder what the lovely little thief is going to steal next.....

possom813
11-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Guard the ziplock bags, I always have to buy 3 or 4 boxes because she'll 'appropriate' a box or two to keep from having to run to the store :-?

KYShooter73
11-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Mine has lots of overspray baked onto it. I doubt she will touch mine. Your mistake was not dirtying it up so bad she wouldn't want it.

WILCO
11-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Not enough to worry about. She wiped it out real good.

I'd never chance it. Toaster ovens are cheap.

btroj
11-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I got my oven on sale at Menards for under 40 bucks. It is a small convection oven that holds a decent number of bullets at one time.

popper
11-30-2013, 11:19 AM
I didn't paint it camo or something fast enough
Gotta be quick in this world. Next time, just drip a dab of LLA in it and turn it on. She won't want it.

StratsMan
11-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Just a little Off-Topic... PC-ers (not here in this thread) keep saying "I got my toaster oven at <insert store> for a great deal", but I've yet to find a thread specifying a brand of convection oven... I do need one, as my 15 year old oven seems to think that 300 degrees should melt lead, so I have to inflict 'manual control' on it... I'm going to Menards to find that $40 convection oven, but I'd still like to hear more about brands...

What brand did you lose, Goodsteel???

Love Life
11-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Oster toaster oven. It was $29.99 on sale at Walmart, and a 2 year warranty was only $4 more. Has baked quite a few bullets now.

Moonman
11-30-2013, 01:43 PM
A truly GREAT OVEN for baking Coated projectiles is the;

BREVILLE BVO800XL "Smart Oven"

Pricey though at $250.

Convection, has levels of heat, it controls the heat very well.

I set my oven at 380F and had 3 other thermometers 1 Bar-B-Que Digital Probe read 378F,

One in oven regular Oven Thermometer read about 380F,

One Digital Probe that came with a N.O.E. mold I ordered read 368F.

It's really a FANTASTIC oven for doing this stuff.

It does what it claims it can do.

I've been working with some HI-TEK "GOLD COLOR COATINGS" and it's NICE.

Some day I'll try some Powder Coatings.

I mostly shoot handguns and the HI-TEK coatings seems to be working for me.

VHoward
11-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Toastmaster toaster over bought for $19.97 at Walmart. It is kind of small though. I set up a 8" x 9" sheet of 16g steel with a 1 " grid and ended up with 72 spots for the bullets to set. I made 2 of the steel sheets so I can rotate. 1 is baking while I set bullets on and powder coat the other to get it ready for baking. Keep switching back and forth and it doesn't take long at all to coat a bunch of bullets.

I used J-B Weld to glue the nuts down. J-B Weld will withstand temps up to 575 degrees. J-B Weld turns from grey to a very dark brown at 400 degrees, but it is holding the nuts down very well.

bangerjim
11-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I use a Wellbilt convection oven that cost around $100. Maintains temp within 15 degrees and is dead-on with the front temp dial.

Don't skimp on a cheap oven. I tried that early on with a used one from Goodwill. Crapola!!!!!!

As with any tool........buy the best you can afford to get the best product you can get.

Key is convection ( forced air with a fan). Do not waste time on a standard cal-rod type. Hot/cold spots will give you very poor results. They work OK for baking pizza and casseroles, but our boolits are MUCH smaller and need a uniform temp profile across the entire cavity of the oven.

And do not use your "boolit baker" for food once you bake even ONE batch. The outgassing collects on the sides and will not come off without using acetone, lacquer thinner and steel wool! Notice that "fog" that forms on the glass? That is over ALL the interior surfaces of the oven.

banger

popper
11-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Euro-Pro convection, $40 at Lowes, on sale - to replace the 15 yr old Euro-Pro - which I got. New ones have a pizza rack & a regular rack, inside ~ 12x8", dual rack.

jaysouth
11-30-2013, 11:08 PM
My bride seized the opportunity to relegate the old one to the garage for bullet experiments and bought a high dollar one (she won't say how much) at a yuppie kitchen shoppe.

freebullet
12-01-2013, 02:22 AM
I'd say you got off easy, lots'o guys loose more than half their stuff to women. Go get a new convection double rack toaster oven(50$walmrt), & if you want to keep it get some powder coating haze on it quick.

Cane_man
12-03-2013, 01:32 PM
can't you use a kitchen oven? why is the toaster oven needed over the kitchen oven?

Garyshome
12-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Hey goodsteel you need to head down to the Goodwill store and get one there.

bangerjim
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
can't you use a kitchen oven? why is the toaster oven needed over the kitchen oven?

If you have a spare old kitchen oven, the 220V circuit to run it on, and space for it in your shop/garage for it.......use it!

DO NOT.........DO NOT.............cure your boolits in your kitchen using your cooking oven!!!!!!!! You NEVER use the same oven to cook food in that has been used for PC baking. That has been covered in MANY threads on here MANY times in the past. The outgassing is over everything in there and is unsafe for your food. And you do NOT want those gasses in your home. No stove vent fan will get rid of them!

I have not looked up the complete chemical components of various powders, but BHA is in the news now....again......as a contaminant that cause cancer and migraines...and is in a bunch of plastics we use! Powder..................I do not know. But just don't do it.

Just do not use ANY of your cooking utensils for anything to do with lead, boolits, coating, curing!

Live long and prosper. The above advice will help with the first one!

banger

Beagle333
12-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I haven't used my shiny new toaster oven for that many loads yet..... but even though unloaded, and spotless inside (I haven't had any boolits fall off the washers or sheet yet), it will develop a strong paint/chemical smell when pre-heating now, that I would NOT want getting into/sticking-to any foodstuffs.

Cane_man
12-03-2013, 03:28 PM
DO NOT.........DO NOT.............cure your boolits in your kitchen using your cooking oven!!!!!!!! You NEVER use the same oven to cook food in that has been used for PC baking.

thank you... i think you just saved my marriage :drinks:

smokeywolf
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Tim, she already stole your heart and your PC oven. Better hang on tight to your calipers, scales and tape measures. That's what Mrs. smokeywolf and the wolf pups keep absconding with.

smokeywolf

TES
12-03-2013, 03:57 PM
will sell this for 50.00 + shipping.

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/3221/04vv.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/8052/pqr0.jpg

Springfield0612
12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386107288&sr=8-2&keywords=Breville+toaster+oven

My wife won this a couple years ago off of a local news station give away contest thing. I don't think that there is any other toaster oven that I could buy that would make her even blink. I now have two out by my bench, one large for bigger PC'ing projects and a smaller digital unit for boolits. She bought them both for me at Goodwill and didn't even care about the price.........Because she has her Breville :bigsmyl2: The Breville does do an excellent job on broiling steaks!

williamwaco
12-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Until I get a new toaster oven that is!
Mrs. goodsteel has stolen it and it now sits on the kitchen counter and we are using the fool out of it for darn near everything. You know you can get a square casserole dish in that little thing?!?
Anyway, I guess I can't begrudge her that, seeing as how many tupperware containers, T-shirts, and dish rags I have waylaid over the years! LOL!
The tables appear to have turned in this house. I have to wonder though: Am I losing control?
Have any of you other booliteers experienced a counter offensive move like this?

I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong, but I think the problem is that I didn't paint it camo or something fast enough.

NO. You never had it ! ! !

:bigsmyl2: