PDA

View Full Version : ar15 pc'd 1st round accuracy

camaro1st
11-30-2013, 12:02 AM
ok this was first attempt at pc shooting. I used hf red on the 223 55gr bator boolit gc'd, 23grs imr4064 (your gun your responsibly), tula primer. the barrel has 1-9 twist 16inch. at 100yards. Mostly was going for function (was shooting off a hay bale). Don't have a chronograph yet. The circle above the ten was the last mag grouped at 2.5inches. the group above was first group around 3inch. the upper left group was uncoated 5inch. the rest was quick fires for a little fun. there is room for improvement but happy with the results so far.

Echd
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Not bad.

I want to get a mold and sizer and try with mine. I've got some wonderful ARs but no boolits for them.

3006mv
11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
thanks for sharing. i shoot my PC w/o gas checks and have no issues, other than not the most accurate groups

ALSO midsouth should have that 6 cavity bator mold available again, i just got an email from them of course months after I got a different mold b/c they were not available back then

sparky45
12-01-2013, 01:10 PM
ok this was first attempt at pc shooting. I used hf red on the 223 55gr bator boolit gc'd, 23grs imr4064 (your gun your responsibly), tula primer. the barrel has 1-9 twist 16inch. at 100yards. Mostly was going for function (was shooting off a hay bale). Don't have a chronograph yet. The circle above the ten was the last mag grouped at 2.5inches. the group above was first group around 3inch. the upper left group was uncoated 5inch. the rest was quick fires for a little fun. there is room for improvement but happy with the results so far.
Hey Camero; could you explain (forgive me if this is posted else where) how you went about PC'ing the 55 grainers i.e. how did you place them prior to shooting them with PC; and how long was the cook time?
Thanks

camaro1st
12-01-2013, 03:54 PM
spark, i shoot them with the hf gun. i drilled holes in a sheet of metal the size of the gc and covered with non stick wrap, pushed a punch through the wrap to stand the boolits up. they was cooked for 15min @ 375. After they was gc'd and sized.

sparky45
12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks Camaro1st. I didn't notice where you are located until now and I grew up in Neodesha and presently live in Sedan. Small world.

camaro1st
12-01-2013, 09:50 PM
yes that it is. Have you started pc'ing yet?

dverna
12-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I am a cheap SOB and I am lazy too. I normally put up a large sheet of paper with a bunch of self stick dots from Office Max and shoot a group at each dot so I do not have a pattern to sift through. Depending on the gun/load there may be 4-9 dots per piece of paper. That way I am not spending time walking back and forth changing targets. Of course, this only works if the gun/load has any accuracy - otherwise separate pieces of paper are required.

Here is the reason for my comment. You have four (maybe more) bullet holes that are not part of any group. What does that tell us? Yep, you will tell us they were "called" trigger jerks or something. Next time turn the paper around and shoot at separate aiming points. If you do not want to use self-stick dots use a magic marker to make a dot. How difficult is that?

It does not take a lot of extra effort to do things properly and by doing things properly, you gain credibility. With four (or more) shots unaccounted for - this means almost nothing. You MUST account for every shot at a target or your conclusions are suspect.

And yes, I am a grumpy old fart.

Don Verna

xacex
12-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Dollar store. A bingo marker, and paper plates. 2$ for a bunch of targets, and the bingo marker makes about a 3/4 inch dot. Cheap, easy and if you run out of paper plates printer paper works.

I find it is better for me to have a cross on my targets. Makes it easier to line up my scope for the shot.

Shooting the Mihec 5.56 with P/C out of a 16" 1/9 I am getting about the same. Not very consistent.

camaro1st
12-16-2013, 11:07 PM
dverna if you will reread my post you will see that i said( the rest was quick fires for a little fun). Me walking a few hundred yards to mark my groups is not hard. So i get some exorcize (hear its good for me) also it gives a little time to cool the barrel. If i was going to walk down to put stickers over the holes or use a marker, might as well circle them? As far as aiming points that target has many aiming points, it is 17inx12in. I'm thinking if i had a fancy rest and time the groups would be a little better. Shooting off a hay bale in cold weather isn't proper either but the rifle shot with no hick-ups and in a decent group compared to the old tumble lube. I'm happy with it for the time being come spring i'll get a little more time to refine the load.

xacex usually i use a target from PrintTargets.net that i print you can adjust the crosshairs for width but uses alot of ink. what weight is the Mihec? gc'd? I've been doing 2 coats and this was first outing with it. My groups with the tumble i couldn't keep a group on paper and was at wits end

xacex
12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Camaro, it was the 5.56 NATO that weighs 65 grains raw. I am gas checking them, but I find that may be causing a problem as well. Sometimes my checks have a small mark from the punch on them that may be affecting accuracy.

popper
12-23-2013, 11:09 AM
3006 - find a mould that has a large rear drive band when shooting w/o GC. A thin band deforms under pressure and gives lousy accuracy. Or remove the bottom lube groove.
small mark from the punch - coat over the GC to eliminate that.