PDA

View Full Version : Boolits for the .280 Ross (Olde Timey Ross Reloading -1)

ohland
11-29-2013, 11:04 PM
http://rossrifle.com/forum/index.php?topic=418.0

By imr4198:

Want to shoot cast bullets? There was one good bullet mould made for the Ross. It was Ideal 291379. The first three numbers are the nominal diameter (maybe not actual) and the second three are the cherry (reamer) number. It was a gas check bullet of around 143 grains. You could also use Ideal 285365 a plain base 7mm bullet of 110 grains, or 285346 which was a gas check bullet of about 160 grains. The Ideal company would ream out the driving bands of a standard 7mm mould to cast larger bullets on request. That was the only way to get the last two to work. The Ideal gas checks for all three bullets were sized for a .284 bullet, so they let gas flow by. No proper gas checks for the Ross at that time. We will size the bullets in our tong tool to .291. Might get by without sizing the necks with our oversize cast bullets. For bullet lube we will use a mix of Mobilubricant, beeswax, and graphite. Proportions by volume are 4:2:1.

BruceB
11-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Did you actually find the 291379 mould? If so, you are in high cotton!

If not, this would seem a fine time for a custom design from Accurate Molds. Get it cut to use .30-caliber gaschecks, or have some custom checks made as well.... I'd bet "338remultramag" could do that at a "reasonable" price.

I once owned a Charles Lancaster-built '98 Mauser in ".280 Rimless".... the Ross by another name. It was a lovely rifle, with very fancy walnut and some gold inlays.

The rifle was OVAL BORED, a patented Lancaster technique. Very strange to look down that bore and see only a pattern of shadows from the oval shape, and NO rifling lands and grooves at all.

It shot pretty well, but only with Barnes .288" copper-tubing bullets. Normal .284 bullets keyholed.

Good luck with this; I'll be very interested to hear how you make out.

ohland
11-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I do not have the 291 mold, I came across the Ross mold info looking for info on the Ideal 285365, and I thought that this Ross stuff was something unique...