PDA

View Full Version : A Bullet Feeder My Way

SODAPOPMG
11-29-2013, 07:23 PM
I have wanted a rifle bullet feeder for my progressive press for a while but could not find one that met my specifications. I wanted one that could be used for multi calibers and feed and seat the bullets in one step I also did not want to give up a station on my press as I like the powder check and I like to use a taper crimp die after seating
RCBS has one that would feed and seat in one step but it is for only one caliber .223/.308 and you have to buy the complete system for both calibers at $900 for the pair. Several other companys sell something similar but are press/cartridge specific so are also high dollar for multi calibers. I finally selected the Mr. Bulletfeeder it has multi caliber conversion kits only it does not feed and seat but that can be fixed! It is also has a better operation setup as it is not a bullet tumbler like most of the others but actually properly aligns the bullets instead or rejecting upside down bullets and has a much faster feed rate because of that. I liked it so much i made a copy for my star sizer.
Now the only 2 remaining issue are the feed and seat
I could have just ordered the parts from RCBS for their feed die but theirs is overly complicated and so are the others except the Mr. Bulletfeeder it has a tube and sleeve with bearings that allow the bullets to feed whenever the outer sleeve is lifted up but it allows all the bullets to flow thru , I add another set of bearings above the orignal set so that it would only allow 1 bullet to feed at a time on the down stroke of the outer sleeve
mine is on the left in silver the Mr. bulletfeeeder is the black one on the right it has 2 sets of holes but they are just to adjust for bullet length.
now we need a die that will feed and seat.
Again I could have just ordered the parts from RCBS for their feed die but the same reasons apply as before but a friend of mine that is into precision shooting has a set of RCBS gold medal dies that allow you to feed a bullet into an opening in the side of the die and then seat the bullet, just the thing i need but at $100.00 plus for the die it is a bit expensive
so i decided to make my own I used a dillon powder die and powder funnel for the main parts made my own seating stem and a top nut for the die you also need a rubber o ring and a short piece of round stock that is the bullet detent
so now I have a die that will allow a bullet to enter and be held until a case is ran up into the die seating the bullet
job done i now have a setup the will feed a bullet to the die, a die that will hold a bullet to be seated into the case, a bullet feeder that can be setup in different calibers and no loss of die stations on the press
now to make 4 more rifle feed seat dies for my other calibers and figure out something to do the same thing for pistol bullets

DCM
11-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice!!!

freebullet
12-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Interesting. How do you hook up the feeder to the die? I'd love to see a vid of its operation.

jmorris
12-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Very nice work!

I use GSI feeders, that feed and seat on #4

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/feeder1.jpg

As much as I like to build stuff, I am really interested in your project. Again, well done.

jmorris
12-01-2013, 03:15 PM
The collators I build are the old style KISS/mrbulletfeeder design. Do you have more details on the new version you built?

SODAPOPMG
12-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Interesting. How do you hook up the feeder to the die? I'd love to see a vid of its operation.

Their is no hook up the feeder is on top of a block that has a slanted ramp that directs the bullet into the die their is about 1/8in airgap between the 2 of them

SODAPOPMG
12-01-2013, 09:37 PM
The collators I build are the old style KISS/mrbulletfeeder design. Do you have more details on the new version you built?

go to the mr.bulletfeeder website they have videos of how to setup and adjust the new style bulletfeeder that will give you a guide for alterations i bought a new one and then copied it to make the one for my star
http://www.mrbulletfeeder.com/