PDA

View Full Version : Help identify press

fred2892
11-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I recently won this press on an ebay auction. It was described as a Redding which I knew it clearly wasnt. I have an idea what it is I just thought Id throw it out to the resident experts. Those are standard 7/8 dies in there and it uses a Lyman J type shellholder. Much of the main assembly is of welded construction. It appears that there are no cast parts whatsoever.

It also came with a spare turret and a very basic lubrisizer.

VHoward
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
The forerunner to the Lyman T-Mag?

Mike Kerr
11-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I hope Pressman weighs in soon. I would like to know as well.

catskinner
11-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Fred, When I first saw the picture I thought Lyman Tru-Line JR but the base appears to have been modified.

fred2892
11-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Fred, When I first saw the picture I thought Lyman Tru-Line JR but the base appears to have been modified.

When I first saw it on ebay thats exactly what I thought too. I now have 2 thoughts on the origins of this press. Anyway, I dug out the old tru line junior for comparison. Enjoy.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-30-2013, 03:41 AM
Tru Line Senior? Looks very similar, except every thing is "grown up."

hornetman
11-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I found a picture of the Ideal Tru -Line in a 1949 Stoger's catalog. It looks nothing like your press. The Tru-Line was not a turret press. The Tru-Line Jr. Press was pictured on the same page. Yours looks like a home- made Jr on steroids.

dbosman
11-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm going to guess it's a 1950s - 1960s high school machine class project. A very well done project. The mounting plate looks like a standard piece of angle "iron".

Bent Ramrod
12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Could it be a Simplex press? They were a little turret press on the order of a Tru-Line Jr. but a little heavier duty and took larger dies. They were made either in England or Australia, as I recall. I thought there were pictures of one around here but can't find them. Check the ARTCA site; there may be a picture there.

I think they were originally painted blue, rather than the Lyman orange.

Kevin Rohrer
12-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I'll go w/ Texan, but I can't tell you the model name.

Pressman
12-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I will go with dbosman. It is the wrong color to by a Lyman. Clearly it is patterned after the TL-Jr even using the new style linkage. However the design has been upgraded for better strength with 7/8-14 dies. Home made and very well done. The same goes for the lube/sizer.
Ken

fred2892
12-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Ok, heres what my thoughts are.

About a year ago I was the winning bidder in a local auction for what was described as an NDFS (North Devon Firearms Services) Lubrisizer.
See here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168597-NDFS-Lubrisizer

When I first got my hands on the turret press, it was immediately apparent to me just how similar the construction of the 2 items were. Both all steel, no castings and all welded construction. I still dont know the identity of the lubrisizer. I do remember however seeing a few years ago in a handloaders digest that NDFS were listed as manufacturers. I dont recall seeing any pictures of their products though. Could anyone with older editions of handloaders digest have a look and see?

My second thought was that it was a product of the typical Englishmans shed. An enthusiast on a tight budget with the ways and means at his disposal to knock together something like this at the bottom of his garden in his well equipped shed. Seeing the simplicity of construction I know I could quite easily copy this if the need arose.