PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brake

jjamna
11-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Any one know a good place to have a muzzle brake put on?Also about what the cost would be. I would like to tame my 300 Wby a bit.

leftiye
11-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Good idea, my 300 Win Mag has one and it makes it a real pleasant gun to shoot. Can't recommend anyone to thread your barrel though. Maybe Buckshot might do it.

Nobade
11-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, I make and install a very effective brake. Cost is $139 installed and finished to match your rifle.

www.scorehi.com

1-800-326-5632

AZ Pete
11-22-2007, 02:45 PM
You might look at the Que muzzle brake that Brownell's sells, it is adjustable, like the ones on Browning rifles. Supposed to be able to tune it to the harmonics of your load. It is installed by the end user in about a minute. No barrel threading required. I seem to recall that it can be later removed as well.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1540&title=ADJUSTABLE+MUZZLE+BRAKE

Ricochet
11-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Is that a Vanguard with a Boyd's nutmeg JRS Sporter stock on it? I've got one just like it:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/VanLamR-1.jpg

tn gun runner
12-03-2007, 05:26 AM
looking at your rifle you need a recoil pad .. put a GEL pad on like EZ KICK will do the trick now I said GEL PAD..there is also a recoil tamer that slide in butt of stock also..

22cf45
12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree with tn gun runner that you need a better pad on the rifle. Either the one he suggests or a Decellator. In regard to a muzzle brake, I have a 300 Weatherby I built on a pre 64. I wanted to tame it down a little and sent it in to MagnaPort and they ported the barrel which consists of a couple slits on either side of the barrel. I really like the result, it made the rifle much more pleasant to shoot their web address is www.magnaport.com/rifle.html.

I don't know if you've had any experience with the swiss cheese looking brakes or not, but I hate them. I think they do a good job of managing recoil, but the noise they make is piercing and cause physical pain to my ears. I have friends who have them and they have had to resort to wearing ear muffs when hunting. I vacate the premisis if I think they are going to shoot.
Phil

John Taylor
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
When I got into making brakes I built a brake tester to try different designs. Using a Mauser action and a 22" 308 barrel mounted on a slide I could check the effect with and without a brake. I tried many different design and found out a lot of info. One of the miss conceptions is slanting the holes back towards the shooter. This does not give any more reduction than having the holes at 90 degrees to the bore but does make it a lot harder on the ears of the shooter. A brake with slits running parallel to the bore had no reduction in recoil. A short brake ( 1") did not do a very good job. A brake that has a chamber about 1.75" long with 42 -3/16" holes at 90 degrees cut recoil by 50%. The same brake with the holes slanted forward at 60 degrees was much quieter but only gave 25% reduction. Same brake with holes slanted back at 120 degrees gave 50% reduction but was very loud. Same brake with only 24 -3/16"holes gave 50% reduction.
From the test run it seems that about half the recoil is caused by gas pressure on our test barrel. Gas pressure at the muzzle can be a lot higher or lower depending on barrel length and size of cartridge. A 308 with a 30" barrel might not show much difference with a brake because the pressure would not be as high. Long barrel guns in any caliber have less recoil than short barrel guns in the same caliber and in most cases give high velocity.
Time to quit, I'm running out of wind.:-D

lathesmith
12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info JT, it is always nice to get real "field reports". I might add that longer barrels also seem quieter, and not as hard on the ears; I would assume this is due to lower gas pressure. I hadn't really thought about recoil difference, that should be another plus of the longer barrel. I know that many folks are also under the impression that a longer tube is inherently more accurate, but I believe this is not the case. With open sights one might be able to hold tighter groups due to longer sight radius, but that is a shooter enhancement and not mechanical.
lathesmith

John Taylor
12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=lathesmith;. I know that many folks are also under the impression that a longer tube is inherently more accurate, but I believe this is not the case.
lathesmith[/QUOTE]

lathesmith, The higher velocity helps the accuracy, less time for gravity and wind to have an effect.

About 25 years ago we tested a brake on a 50 BMG that had the ports slanted back. A bystander got powder burns while standing about 20 feet away from the shooter. Just happened to be lined up with one of the ports.