PDA

View Full Version : I should have done this 25 yrs. ago.

Ben
11-29-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm a professional gun stock refinisher.

I do a lot of high grade over and under shotguns. Putting the finish on the butt stock is delicate. If you're trying to hold the butt stock with your hands , eventually you will run out of a place to hold the stock because the finish is wet.

The answer to all this is a cradle to hold the stock. I should have done this A LONG TIME AGO ! !

It works 101%. The springs are my idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OxHJUUU1-U

dbosman
11-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Really useful ideas sometimes take a long time to occur. Simple really useful ideas also cause brain hurt when you realize how long ago it should have occurred to you. Looks like a winner for anyone finishing pieces of a lot of things. Thanks for sharing.

waksupi
11-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I had that one figured out years ago. I generally used a checkering vise to do it. It's a good trick to have in the bag.

Ben
11-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Really useful ideas sometimes take a long time to occur. Simple really useful ideas also cause brain hurt when you realize how long ago it should have occurred to you. Looks like a winner for anyone finishing pieces of a lot of things. Thanks for sharing.

Once of my reasons for the
post was to encourage anyone
needing something like this to " DO IT NOW ! ".

btroj
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Looks good Ben.

You never lived up north, did ya? That drawl is a dead give away.

Ben
11-29-2013, 05:05 PM
I had that one figured out years ago. I generally used a checkering vise to do it. It's a good trick to have in the bag.

I loosely modeled mine on the concept of a checkering cradle.
I had to decide how to keep tension on the axle. I thought about a pair of bolts coming in from the top to keep tension on the axle and have it move but not be overly loose.

Then I came up with the idea of a pair of springs. Viola ! !
That works GREAT ! By moving the attachment screw on the end of the spring, you can vary the amount of pressure on the axle.

Like I said, I should have done this a long time ago !

Ben
11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks good Ben.

You never lived up north, did ya? That drawl is a dead give away.

Now why would " Ya'll " say something like that ? ? ?

btroj
11-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Ummmmmmmmm

Nice work Ben. Now if Ric would have shared his idea with you a few years ago........

Mitch
11-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Great lookin idea.I am going to try and make a stock for the first time soon.
Thanks Ben

Ben
11-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Ummmmmmmmm

Nice work Ben. Now if Ric would have shared his idea with you a few years ago........

Well................. you know, some will and some won't.

smokeywolf
11-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Ben, that's a purty piece of work and a swell way to hold on to it. As a machinist I learned a long time ago, figuring out the best way to hold on to part is half the battle.
Do you also do the checkering on some of the stocks you work on?

smokeywolf

Ben
11-29-2013, 09:28 PM
smokeywolf

Thanks for those nice comments.

No, I don't do checkering. I stay fairly busy just finishing and re- finishing.

You can see some of my work in the slide show link below :

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/haysb/slideshow/Gunstock%20Finishing%20Photos

Ben

smoked turkey
11-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Ben I looked at the picture gallery. Beautiful work you do! I love nice walnut and blued steel. It would be very informative if you could show a project stock redo with pictures and some explanation from the beginning to the end. I know that would be a very time consuming process for you so maybe someday if time permits. Meanwhile I really appreciated seeing what you do. Thanks for sharing.

waksupi
11-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Well, since the cat is now out of the bag, a wing nut for a jamb set works pretty good, if you get tired of the spring.

Ben
11-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Ben I looked at the picture gallery. Beautiful work you do! I love nice walnut and blued steel. It would be very informative if you could show a project stock redo with pictures and some explanation from the beginning to the end. I know that would be a very time consuming process for you so maybe someday if time permits. Meanwhile I really appreciated seeing what you do. Thanks for sharing.

smoked turkey :

Here are 131 Photos showing an 8 X 57 mm sporter rifle that I built.
It includes inletting, shaping, glass bedding, and finishing. It is about as close to what you say you'd like to see that I can offer you right now. Enjoy.

Ben

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/haysb/slideshow/8%20X%2057%20mm%20Sporter

smoked turkey
11-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Ben!! Tis the season for Thanksgiving and gifts. I'm thankful for the gift.

Ben
11-30-2013, 11:15 AM
smoked turkey :

Yes, please enjoy your Thanksgiving and Christmas with your family.

Tell me what you think about the photos either in a post or PM, your choice?

Ben

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-30-2013, 12:08 PM
smoked turkey :

Here are 131 Photos showing an 8 X 57 mm sporter rifle that I built.
It includes inletting, shaping, glass bedding, and finishing. It is about as close to what you say you'd like to see that I can offer you right now. Enjoy.

Ben
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/haysb/slideshow/8%20X%2057%20mm%20Sporter
What a great picture show !
and excellent work for sure

Ben
11-30-2013, 12:27 PM
You guys are very generous with your words.
It cost nothing but time to " document " a project like this. For anyone that is considering a project build like this one, you never know when someone might look at the photos and pick up a " trick " or two. I'm glad to share.

Ben

smoked turkey
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Ben I looked at the build photos on the 8x57. All I can say is it is a stunning piece of work. I really like the "classic" stock and your work speaks classic for sure. I don't have any thing but praise for this project and particularly the photos are of the best quality. I do have a couple of questions regarding the removal of wood around the tang area and the ebony grip cap and the fore-end tip. Do you use any power equipment in that process. I would be tempted to use the belt sander and a router in some of the areas in order to speed things up a bit. However I realize that it can remove too much if not used very carefully. I was very impressed with the bedding. Looked almost too good to cover up!. Thanks for the write up and pictures. You are right in saying that this work has not only given me a trick or two but also some inspiration to do something with a walnut blank I have squirreled away. Thank you Ben.

nekshot
12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
sure beats using the checkering cradle as I do. This is smaller and more compact. Thanks for sharing this project. Was hard to see what you were talking about at first because lusting over the figure in that wood! Great craftmanship!

pcmacd
04-05-2020, 09:45 PM
I loosely modeled mine on the concept of a checkering cradle.
I had to decide how to keep tension on the axle. I thought about a pair of bolts coming in from the top to keep tension on the axle and have it move but not be overly loose.

Then I came up with the idea of a pair of springs. Viola ! !
That works GREAT ! By moving the attachment screw on the end of the spring, you can vary the amount of pressure on the axle.

Like I said, I should have done this a long time ago !

Almost sounds like Arkansas to me, where my grandparents grew up.