PDA

View Full Version : First handgun and cast kill

Lefty SRH
11-29-2013, 01:08 PM
My turn now, lol. I went to the back edge of my property this morning hoping to see the buck come check his scrape line. Instead i had 3 does jump my back fence from the bean field onto my property. The fence is 50 yds from and so i decide to see what they would do. All three looked like they were on a mission and would likely NOT stick around long so i cocked the hammer on my Ruger .44 spl Blackhawk FT Bisley. The lead doe came to me and stopped broadside at about 30yds, so i dropped the hammer! I got to see the classic "im hit hard so ill kick my back legs..." action. They kept coming to me and stopped again at about 20yds. I dropped the hammer again but missed. Then they didnt present another shot.
The boolit was a 265gr MiHa #503 clone, 50/50 pure lead and COWW mix with 17.0gr of H110.
To be honest I'm a little disappionted with the performance. Sure it killed her and i tracked her but i expected a better blood trail. My mistake didn't help matters by not taking out heart and lungs either. It destroyed the liver and clipped the lungs. Nonetheless i have meat in my freezer that came from my land that my wife and i purchased a month ago. Thats a very nice feeling!

I owe a lot Of guys on here thanks for the help with cast boolits. 8896588964

Lefty SRH
11-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Will a mod please rotate my deer 180* please. Im not that great with an Iphone yet

alrighty
11-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Congrats , Being able to fill the freezer with an animal harvested on your own land is a great feeling.

Ramjet-SS
11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Nice job and good shooting. People that cast there own and then use them for conservation get certain satisfaction that is tough to describe.

waksupi
11-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Will a mod please rotate my deer 180* please. Im not that great with an Iphone yet

Wouldn't have a clue how to do it!

Wolfer
11-29-2013, 07:54 PM
For me as an old rifle hunter my first pistol kills were quite unspectacular. Even deer that went down on the spot sometimes had their heads up and were alert for some time. If they ran blood trails were not like what I got from my 30-06. I went to a HP to get better blood trails which it does a little but the end result is about the same.
I have found that if I break one or both shoulders I'll usually see them go down if they don't go down on the spot. The blood trail may not be great but it won't be very long.
I once tracked a liver shot deer ( rem 58 cap and ball ) about 800 yds before I came to the gut pile. It had come up on my brother who could tell it was hurt and finished it off.
Livers will never stop bleeding and I'm confidant I'd have found this deer eventually. A guy will need to be up on his tracking skills and his patience for something like this though.
Handgun hunting is a whole new world, I love it! Woody

missionary5155
11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Greetings and Congradulations !
That first is always a winner. After it is all over we can sure learn a bunch. Bottom line is you have your doe.
Using 50-50 I would definately hit the lungs or heart or any combination. A good drop shot is the spine up near the front shoulders. Or bust both shoulders. I use 50-50 in many hunting firearms and as of yet am not disappointed. Never had a boolit shatter on bone or fail to get fatter. But also I like the fattest flat nose I can have.
Well done and good eating.
Mike in Peru

Lefty SRH
11-29-2013, 09:20 PM
The blood trail ressembled (as i remember) a shot from a 2 blade broadbead. Gotta have patience and look.

wvmedic
11-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Congratulations, it's an awesome feeling harvesting one with your own boolit.

badgeredd
11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Congrats Steve.

Edd

Ben
11-30-2013, 12:26 PM
GOOD KILL ! !

Way to go.

Ben

DanWalker
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Nicely done! Unless you break shoulders, you're probably gonna have to go look for them for a bit. Unless shot at a downward angle, you may not get much of a blood trail because the blood has to reach the level of the hole to really drain. You'll get some smaller splashes and drops, but nothing like the squirts and splashes you get on a shot from above, angling downward. I just treat my handgun like a really LOUD bow, and hunt accordingly. I don't expect instant kills like I get from high velocity rifle rounds. Once you wrap your head around the fact that you're just poking holes to let blood out and air in, it all gets much simpler. Shot placement is EVERYTHING in handgun hunting.

45 2.1
11-30-2013, 04:49 PM
To be honest I'm a little disappionted with the performance. Sure it killed her and i tracked her but i expected a better blood trail.

Typical performance with a solid....... proper HP's work much faster on deer..... not much tracking required.

white eagle
11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
good job nicely done

Jailer
11-30-2013, 06:47 PM

Can't do anything with your post but I can rotate the pictures for you. Congrats on your first cast kill.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/deer_zpsb87e2c97.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/deer_zpsb87e2c97.jpg.html)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/liver_zps872e654b.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/liver_zps872e654b.jpg.html)

waksupi
11-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Typical performance with a solid....... proper HP's work much faster on deer..... not much tracking required.

If you don't mind a lot of blood shot meat.

monge
11-30-2013, 07:04 PM
good shot and recovery I have shot deer with 50cal 12ga sabot at 50yards through both lungs and still had to do some tracking!
deer are tricky animals some go right down others run a while. enjoy your venison!

DanWalker
11-30-2013, 07:35 PM
The BEST piece of advice I have ever received about hunting with cast boolits, is to "Break bones". The double lung/heart shot is always fatal, but if you can also bust a shoulder or two, you're WAY better off!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVeIuYrTMg

Lefty SRH
11-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Jailer thank you for rotating the pics, greatly appreciated.

45 2.1
11-30-2013, 09:44 PM
If you don't mind a lot of blood shot meat.

For one thing, I don't shoot bone...... no need. Bust them behind the shoulder 1/4 to 2/3 up thru the rib cage and they die very quickly....BTDT on quite a few testing HP design. Worst thing that happens is I loose two ribs that I don't get to eat...... rest is guts. Now if I wanted to make sure of a kill with a solid, I would bust bone to make sure I found it when hunting around others..... no problem with the folks that use non HP's and hard boolits on that, but they show some blood shot meat on those pictures too.

osteodoc08
11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Looks good to me. I'm looking at getting a ruger bisley flat top in 44 special. How do you like it?

Lefty SRH
11-30-2013, 10:57 PM
None of my meat was bloodshot.

Lefty SRH
11-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Looks good to me. I'm looking at getting a ruger bisley flat top in 44 special. How do you like it?

I have really enjoyed it once Ruger replaced the barrel. The beginnings werent so great but Ruger stood behind there gun and made it right. Id buy another if i needed to.....

Lefty SRH
11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
A buddy owns the consecutive # sister gun to mine and he enjoys his too.