PDA

View Full Version : After Set Trigger is Pulled, How Do You Unload a Sharp?

Silver Jack Hammer
11-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Guys, I'm learning with my new Shiloh Sharps and twice now I've wanted to not fire after pulling the set trigger. Once I just fired anyway. Once I lowered the block, then the action is hammer back set trigger pulled. I re-inserted the cartridge and fired. None of this sounds safe, or right to me. Any suggestions?

The situations which causes me to not fire after pulling the set trigger are surrounding a public range I go to. It is very nice, as such there are other shooters. I envy those of you that have fields you have all to yourself to shoot your Sharps.

A big problem is they build this roof to cover the firing line, it's winter and my eyes are not young. I have a very hard time seeing the spirit level bubble.

Also, next question. Do you dry fire your Sharp? Or should I get snap caps. This is my brand new Shiloh Sharps.

huntrick64
11-29-2013, 01:08 PM
There is a process you can go through, but I just (while keeping the muzzle in a safe direction) "thumb" the hammer pulling the hammer back slightly then going ahead and pulling the trigger. While holding the trigger AND the hammer back, lower the hammer. I then re-cock it to the safety notch. I don't have a Shiloh but do have a Pedersoli Sharps with set trigger.

I wouldn't purposely dry fire any gun. It just isn't worth the chance of you breaking the firing pin. You don't need snap caps just put a spent round in the chamber. I have also been known to de-primed a case and cram the eraser from a mechanical pencil into the primer pocket and trimmed it flush to make my own snap cap.

I broke a firing pin a few months ago by accidentally dry firing my 1950's Eibar side-by-side 28 gauge. Every gunsmith said "yea right" when I asked if they could get one. I had to machine one! Don't do it.

CanoeRoller
11-29-2013, 01:21 PM
That is the great "advantage" of an external hammer rifle, you can hold the hammer back and lower it gently as you keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

If you are on a Montana mountain side in the middle of winter, best just to shoot. Numb thumbs are much more slippery than you think.

Yes, Elk can laugh at you.

dtknowles
11-29-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't have a Sharps but I do have a Remington-Hepburn with a double set trigger and exposed hammer. I just hold the hammer and lever open the action, remove the cartridge, close the action and then drop the hammer. Why don't you remove the cartridge before you lower the hammer?

Tim

GOPHER SLAYER
11-29-2013, 02:40 PM
If you break a firing pin on that rifle a new one will set you back over 150 bucks plus shipping plus installation.

montana_charlie
11-29-2013, 03:45 PM
After Set Trigger is Pulled, How Do You Unload a Sharp?

If you really are asking how to unload, then you just drop the lever and remove the cartridge.
But, if you want to know how to unset the triggers, read on ...

Position your trigger finger at the front trigger.
Place your second finger on the rear trigger and hold it fully back.
Pull the front trigger far enough to 'unset' the rear trigger and let it's spring relax.
You can proceed to make whatever changes you want ... or you can fire the round using the front trigger.

Practice this with the hammer down to see how easy it is.

Also, next question. Do you dry fire your Sharp? Or should I get snap caps. This is my brand new Shiloh Sharps.
Shove a small piece of leather into the gap on the right side of the gun, between the firing pin transfer bar and the breechblock.
It will absorb the force from the falling hammer and prevent the firing pin from slamming into the breech face.
It will take many repetitions before needing a replacement.

Fired cases are only good for one or two dry fires, and snap caps get worn in, too.

But ... if you mainly shoot using the set trigger, you can dry fire that mechanism all that you want ... as long as the hammer is all the way down on the transfer bar. If you do it with the hammer at half cock, you will eventually bend, or break, the sear.

CM

Lead pot
11-29-2013, 04:07 PM
If you break a firing pin on that rifle a new one will set you back over 150 bucks plus shipping plus installation.

It's quite evident that you don't own a Shiloh :)
If you bought it new from them give them a call and they will mail you a new pin at no charge. You will be shooting again in less than a week.
You drop the block slide out the retaining plate take the old pin out clean out the guide hole the pin sits in replace the spring and pin and put it back together again in less than 5 minutes.

bigted
11-30-2013, 07:02 PM
all great answers to your query. just throw open the action and remove the round. while it is open grap that hammer and yank the front trigger and allow the hammer to come down gently the move it back to half cock. easy cheesy ... practice this with an empty rifle a few times to aquaint yerself with the procedure.

John Boy
11-30-2013, 10:26 PM
just throw open the action and remove the round. One usually overlooked step is put the hammer on half cock before pulling the finger lever to drop the block. Many pins have been saved from breaking by doing this
I painted Half Cock on the back of my Sharps as a reminder

Don McDowell
11-30-2013, 10:28 PM
all great answers to your query. just throw open the action and remove the round. while it is open grap that hammer and yank the front trigger and allow the hammer to come down gently the move it back to half cock. easy cheesy ... practice this with an empty rifle a few times to aquaint yerself with the procedure.

What he said:drinks:

:confused: For 150$ you could buy a bucket full of new firing pins for a Shiloh or C Sharps.... And like Leadpot pointed out if you're the first owner you won't even pay shipping from Shiloh. C Sharps will send you replacement (no charge) the same day they receive the broken one...

country gent
11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Don when the trigger return spring broke in the hepburn they shipped it the same day I called to order a new one, never asked for old one back. I had the repplacement in 3 days. He taped it in a catloug so I would have to drool looking for it between the pages LOL.

Don McDowell
12-01-2013, 01:02 AM
They wanted the firing pin and transfer bar from my csa 75 sent in before they sent me new ones, when those broke, but I gave them my credit card and they sent new ones out. When I got those broken ones replaced I sent them in and here came another set. Always a good thing to have extra firing pins, transfer bars, and lever springs in your travel kit..

mongoosesnipe
12-02-2013, 12:51 AM
I would unload the gun then lower the hammer such that if the hammer slips there is nothing to fire or you could lower the hammer onto a snap cap to protect the gun just in case...

dtknowles
12-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Don when the trigger return spring broke in the hepburn they shipped it the same day I called to order a new one, never asked for old one back. I had the repplacement in 3 days. He taped it in a catloug so I would have to drool looking for it between the pages LOL.

Hepburn you said. Mine is an original but I would buy a modern one in a heartbeat, I am googleing now but point me to the maker please???????/

Tim

Boz330
12-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Hepburn you said. Mine is an original but I would buy a modern one in a heartbeat, I am googleing now but point me to the maker please???????/

Tim

C-Sharps Arms but they sure aren't cheap.

Bob

country gent
12-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Mine is C Sharps arms but DZ arms is making them also.

dtknowles
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
C-Sharps Arms but they sure aren't cheap.

Bob

Woo Wee, not even for Christmas. More than 4 times what I paid for my Original and mine included a scope but then theirs come with classic tang and globe sights.

Tim

Lead pot
12-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't drop the lever without first lowering the hammer to halve cock on a sharps first. I have had the hammer fall doing that.
It don't take much for the hammer to fall with a set trigger, especially if you shoot the rifle a lot and don't re adjust the set trigger now and then.

sharpsguy
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Listen to Lead pot. He speaks the truth.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I like the conservative approach from Lead Pot. My last range session I was able to stand on the edge of the roof overhang and get enough sunlight to see my spirit level clearly.

Been looking at snap caps, the A-Zoom is in the gunshops around here. They have rubber in the firing pin hole and the package says they won't wear out. I don't, they look kind of cheap to me for the price I'm paying. Anybody have any experience with these or any other snap caps?