PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading?

PbHurler
11-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Can you gentlemen recommend any good books on muzzleloading? (for a newby) For instance: loading, pulling a ball / bullet, cleaning & maintenance, any tips etc. I'm just sort of a reference material kind of guy, and new to muzzleloading & would like some more material that goes beyond the owners manual.

Thank you in advance.

HARRYMPOPE
11-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Lyman manual is pretty good but I don't agree with everything Sam Fadala writes.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Read Ned Roberts, Phil Sharpe and the early writers who worried more about the quality of their work than the amount of their book advances or the size of their sponsor's check. Go to an older BOOK library whether college or public, search by topic and content, and get interlibrary loans if possible. While new technology has enhanced the sport, the basics are the foundation.

BvT

Janoosh
11-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Read this..."Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle", Ned Roberts. This site has Great info, especially in the sticky's. I've learned alot just reading other's posts here.

idahoron
11-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't claim to know everything but if you search my name you will find out about a lot that I have written on most of the topics you mention. Ron

TCLouis
11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
If you are talking traditional muzzleloaders then find Sam Fadala's first book on muzzleloading.

If you are talking modern firearms that load from the front, I have no idea what books may have useful information.

Muzzle loading shooters have plenty of opinions so you will just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

First rule for you to learn and repeat over and over . . .

Fire a couple of caps on the nipple before loading and then First the powder then the ball

Randy C
11-29-2013, 09:53 PM
This is the best place to get a reprint of some good books, I have bought plenty from here and I love them.
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=1497

PbHurler
11-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, I've ordered a couple of the suggested books to become a little more informed.

I've only hunted two seasons with BP, with a borrowed rifle. The owner went to an in-line & was gracious enough to show me the basics of sidelock percussion; loading, shooting & cleaning. I always wanted to own a percussion muzzleloader & after being exposed to the nuances of muzzleloading, I was hooked.

I recently purchased a TC Hawken caplock (pretty pristine) from a member of the forum & am pretty antsy about getting out to get to know it. (Once some BP can be procurred!)

Thanks for this forum & I won't hesitate to ask for assistance from the massive knowledge base here!

(And yes, I'm aware of the search function :smile:)

clownbear69
11-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I know its not a book but CVA puts out an awesome DVD. Many of the DVDs come with CVAs "starter kit". The biggest thing I don't agree with is using 150 grs for short ranges that they keep promoting. But that's just me. other than that they are really hands on in that DVD

Pepe Ray
11-30-2013, 12:38 PM
PbHurler;
I have for sale 6 black powder shooting related books. These must all go together unless someone makes me a better offer..
1. Gun Digest B.P. loading manual by Sam Fadala.
2. Buckskinning Vol I
3. Buckskinning Vol III
4. Buckskinning Vol IV
5. Track of the Wolf Catalog Ed.14 -1998-2000
6. Track of the Wolf .. Ed.12 - ?
I'll ship all to the same address stateside for $50.00

Pepe Ray

bubba.50
11-30-2013, 01:25 PM
lots of useful info can be gleaned from a Dixie gunworks catalog, both in the general information section & also tucked into the various ads and sections throughout the book.

mooman76
11-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I always liked Sam Fadalas BP books he put out. Lots of good info there. Can't say I agree with him on everything either but the basics are sound. I think it's been awhile since he put out a new one and a few things have changed but not much.

fouronesix
11-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Yep, the Lyman books/manuals- including the older ones are good. The other really GOOD thing I see in your post is the basic question about doing some research and reading first- seems to be a lost art these days. Basics haven't changed in a few hundred years.

As to your question on pulling/removing a ball or bullet? Depends on how "stuck" it is. Several ways to do it. Easiest is at the range where it can be shot out. Some use a CO2 contraption or compressed air to push (shoot it out). Some use a grease gun to force it out and last but not least is to pull it out with a screw-in extractor attached to the end of a good (strong) ramrod. That brings up the point of one of the first things to get for your muzzleloader is a good, strong cleaning, range, general purpose rod! A non-jointed, one piece, full length, steel rod is, IMO, the best.

Once you get that strong ramrod with the screw extractor you can drive a soft slug into your bore a ways then pull it out (slug the bore) so you know the bore and groove diameters of that barrel. It will also allow you the practice and knowledge of how to do it if need be. Sooner or later you might need to do it :)

mooman76
11-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Another way to remove a s tuck ball is to remove the nipple or drum screw, if you have one and sprinkle a little powder in the hole. You can't get much in there but it doesn't take much just to launch the ball out.

fouronesix
11-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Several ways to do it. Easiest is at the range where it can be shot out.

Yep, that's always my first choice, if appropriate. After trickling some FFFF down the flash channel and replacing the nipple, make sure the ball is down on top of the powder. This method also works when there is a failure to fire because of gunk in the flash channel.

Pic of how the screw-in ball removal works. This is of an over-sized ball driven into a bore a few inches then retrieved with the screw jag so the bore and groove diameters could be measured.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-30-2013, 08:06 PM
lots of useful info can be gleaned from a Dixie gunworks catalog, both in the general information section & also tucked into the various ads and sections throughout the book.

Beware that catalog. It is full of baloney especially in older editions. Turner was a salesman first, not a shooter. It does however repeat some hard data that is truly scattered in other, older shooting documents. I spent a good part of a day with him in 1966 touring his Union City operation, soaking up his information and purchasing his builder's parts. Heck of a nice guy. As I learned better over time I spent less and less with his business, and unlearned virtually all of his personal M/L advice. He was a pioneer in the M/L growth business in those times, however.

BvT