PDA

View Full Version : Receiver sights for Winchester 1886 45-70

303carbine
11-28-2013, 07:08 PM
What's the best receiver sight for a new 1886 Winchester?

fouronesix
11-28-2013, 08:55 PM
I like the Lyman 66. I think the current Lyman designation for the Win/Browning 86 sight is 66 WB.
Here's an older Lyman on an original Win 86. The new Lyman 66 is nearly identical but the frame is of aluminum.

pietro
11-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Turnbull Fastfire mount.........

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/client_images/catalog19872/pages/files/86-71_FastFireMount1_Detail1.jpg

NSB
11-28-2013, 10:10 PM
I have the Turnbull and really like it because I can't see squat anymore with open sights. However, in all fairness, the Lyman and Williams receiver sights are both very good. I have a NIB Williams with a Merit disc on it and I can see through it reasonably well but not as good as with the Turnbull.

Mk42gunner
11-29-2013, 01:20 AM
I don't know how hard it would be to find; but I have always liked the looks of the bolt mounted peeps like were commonly seen on Model 71's.

Robert

KirkD
11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
A Tang sight might also be an option. I have a 'new' Browning 1886 saddle ring carbine that I recently installed a Montana Vintage Arms Rear Combination tang sight on. I've only got the rear hole, but it seems to hold the tang sight solid. I'll probably drill and tap the front hole in a few weeks. I can't see the sights anymore with my old eyes, but the tang sight makes everything nice and sharp. Here's a photo ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/MVA-Combination-Rear-Sight_zps36189b6b.jpg

303carbine
11-29-2013, 08:31 PM
A Tang sight might also be an option. I have a 'new' Browning 1886 saddle ring carbine that I recently installed a Montana Vintage Arms Rear Combination tang sight on. I've only got the rear hole, but it seems to hold the tang sight solid. I'll probably drill and tap the front hole in a few weeks. I can't see the sights anymore with my old eyes, but the tang sight makes everything nice and sharp. Here's a photo ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/MVA-Combination-Rear-Sight_zps36189b6b.jpg

That's a classy looking tang sight, my Winchester has the tang safety and I doubt the style shown would work on my 86 without a fair amount of work.
I would have to remove the tang safety and have the hole welded up and reblued, the receiver sight is the quickest, but not as nice as the tang sight.

bearbud
12-01-2013, 09:57 PM
You didn’t mention if your rifle is D&T for a receiver sight. I have a few “new” 1886, some are D&Ted and some are not. If your rifle is not sight ready and you are willing to D&T it, I would go with the Providence Tool Co. receiver sight. This sight is made to look and operate as the old Lyman 21 sight. I don’t have any of their sights, but I do have original Lyman 21 and I like it. The Providence sight has a more traditional look (not identical to the Lyman) but will operate in the same way as the original. If you don’t want to D&T you can always go with a barrel mounted peep sight. Skinner sights make a nice one. bearbud

Rooster59
12-01-2013, 10:42 PM
+1 on the Lyman 21 repro from Providence.

Gray Fox
12-01-2013, 11:49 PM
I just had my local 'smith install the Providence copy of the 21 on my mid-80s Browning copy of the '95 Winchester. It even came with the very odd thread tap needed to drill out and re-tap the screw holes to match the original threads of the Winchester. The aperture was quite small and I drilled it out to .125 and cold blued it and it works fine. I did have to make a higher front sight blade, however. I'm quite satisfied with it and the instructions clearly state that it will also fit the '86. GF

303carbine
12-02-2013, 02:36 AM
You didn’t mention if your rifle is D&T for a receiver sight. I have a few “new” 1886, some are D&Ted and some are not. If your rifle is not sight ready and you are willing to D&T it, I would go with the Providence Tool Co. receiver sight. This sight is made to look and operate as the old Lyman 21 sight. I don’t have any of their sights, but I do have original Lyman 21 and I like it. The Providence sight has a more traditional look (not identical to the Lyman) but will operate in the same way as the original. If you don’t want to D&T you can always go with a barrel mounted peep sight. Skinner sights make a nice one. bearbud

Yes, the new 86 is already drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, the Providence receiver sight looks like a nice addition.