PDA

View Full Version : Scoping a Remington Model 8/81.

firefly1957
11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I have an old Remington Model 81 that as my eyes get older the iron sights just are not working for hunting except in good light . I noticed the barrel shroud on these guns was 1 inch just like a scope mount so i tried this as a way to mount a scope without modifying the gun it works quite well . Three notes this is a 6 inch scope rail 7 inches would be better i think, some of these guns do not have a removable magazine so the forward scope is needed, and I am NOT SURE IF ALL THESE OLD RIFLES HAVE 1" SHROUDS. This gun was modified by Kreiger in Roseville or Mt. Clemens Michigan long ago and does have a removable clip. The front mount is a 1" scope mount filed to the proper height then drilled and tapped the rear uses the existing rear sight base. The rail was a bank one gotten from a local gun smith and i drilled the holes for the mounting screws on my drill press. The scope is a inexpensive 2-7 power pistol scope which has survived 50 rounds and has shot MOA groups with factory 150 gr Winchester ammo .
I have an old Remington Model 81 that as my eyes get older the iron sights just are not working for hunting except in good light . I noticed the barrel shroud on these guns was 1 inch just like a scope mount so i tried this as a way to mount a scope without modifying the gun it works quite well . Two notes this is a 6 inch scope rail 7 inches would be better i think and some of these guns do not have a removable magazine so the forward scope is needed. This gun was modified by Kreiger in Roseville or Mt. Clemens Michigan long ago and does have a removable clip. The front mount is a 1" scope mount filed to the proper height then drilled and tapped the rear uses the existing rear sight base. The rail was a bank one gotten from a local gun smith and i drilled the holes for the mounting screws on my drill press. The scope is a inexpensive 2-7 power pistol scope which has survived 50 rounds and has shot MOA groups with factory 150 gr Winchester ammo .
These are fine old guns if someone else can put them back in the field with this information that would be great , this gun belonged to my grandfather and when he showed it to me about 1967 he said it was a great rifle and "if he put the front sight on a deer from the muzzle to 300 yards they had venison for dinner". I asked him why he did not use it yet he said "these old eyes i need a scope" i did not under stand then but i do now! I did take my third deer this year with this gun i seldom use it but that may change i have this scope on it for varmint control too there is a laser on the side of the scope and while illegal for me to hunt with i can do pest control with it and the 300 Savage is no slouch for performance.

Bent Ramrod
11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Now that is nothing short of brilliant! I wish the guy who drilled (and later filled) the holes in the side of the receiver of my Model 8 had come up with that solution.

firefly1957
11-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Bent Ramrod Does your model 8 have a 1 " shroud around the barrel?

I swage .224 bullets with 22 L.R. cases and thought this gun would be great for yotes using them in sabots but i get pressure signs before enough recoil to operate the action the round shot well just become a single shot.

oscarflytyer
11-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Look at a Stith mount. My 81 had one on it. Most times they are very proud of them if you can find them! But it worked great.

Bent Ramrod
11-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Firefly1957,

The jacket around the barrel on my Model 8 is 1" diameter.

firefly1957
11-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks i have held a few but only own the one.

From what i see this is a lot cheaper than a Stith mount ?

Dan Cash
11-29-2013, 08:20 PM
For what it is worth, Zane Grey surely thought highly of his Model 8.

Bent Ramrod
11-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Stith mounts are obsolete, so your chances of getting one are slim, getting one that fits are slimmer, and getting one cheaply are slimmer still. You did good.

texassako
12-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I found that you can usually pick one up scoped for less or the same price as a non scoped one. Collectability and all that goes with it. I have an extra Stith mount, but you have to drill 5 holes for the rear mount and they only accept a 7/8" scope. I like your solution. All of the shrouds are the same diameter to my knowledge.

gnoahhh
12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Neatly done! But I must ask, what did that mounting system do for the less than optimal balance of those rifles?

I put a tang sight on my 81 when my eyes went south. Worked like a charm and added no extra weight to an already overly heavy rifle. I finally got tired of shooting that "pogo stick" and swapped it off.

KCSO
12-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Now here is your problem, the scope probably worn't las like that because of the vibration. You have the barrel slamming back and forth inside the tube and that tube is going to vibrate like crazy. I have had the sights pop loose on these on occasion so if the soldered on sigt can come lose what about the crosshairs in the scope? This is like putting a rifle scope on an airgun. I would be tempted to put an airgun scope on if the crosshairs come loose. These rifles are a real booger for mounting as even the side mount needs to be retightened on occasion. Something they didn't think of in 1908 I guess.

firefly1957
12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
gnoahhh The rifle balances and carrys quite well like that i had worried about the same thing when i did it. There is a William receiver sight on the gun and i can shoot quite accurately with it except in low light even with the aperture removed using the sight as a ghost ring i lose time in the morning and evening in which i can aim.

KCSO This is a pistol scope they are made for much abuse compared to a rifle scope.

sgt.mike The left side of the scope has a laser i have to remove those batteries to deer hunt with the gun.

texasnative46
12-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Firefly those are great ole rifle that I hope to someday own as well. The recoil system is truly one of JM Browning great designs. During some of my research on theses rifle I did read up on the Krieger modification for the Magazine, that was considered high speed low drag back in the day. Glad to see that you could do something to keep the ole girl hunting. But I don't understand what makes your gun illegal for hunting now though?

I wondered the self-same thing UNLESS our member lives where all rifles are unlawful. Shotgun only area?

yours, tn

firefly1957
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Texas i posted it just above your comment the scope has to have the laser batteries removed for hunting then all is legal . I can use a laser for self defense or pest control just not to hunt.

otter1009
12-20-2014, 08:45 PM
I found that you can usually pick one up scoped for less or the same price as a non scoped one. Collectability and all that goes with it. I have an extra Stith mount, but you have to drill 5 holes for the rear mount and they only accept a 7/8" scope. I like your solution. All of the shrouds are the same diameter to my knowledge.

Do you still have an extra stitch mount? If so is it the five hole, and would you be willing to part with it? I have a Model 81 that the mount was take off of and lost years ago. Its a family heirloom now but still goes out for elk hunting season. I'd really like to return it to original.

firefly1957
01-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Otter1009 sorry i did not see this sooner i made those mount it can be done with a drill press and a file. The parts are a 7 " rail and a 1" scope mount.