PDA

View Full Version : 32 S&W Long Lapua Brass

shooting on a shoestring
11-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Cut to the chase....its GREAT.
I needed brass for a 70's vintage S&W Model 30 to contain loads I don't want to shoot in a HE 3rd Model without a hardened cylinder. The HE brass is Remington. I was shopping for Starline, but couldn't find any. I did find the Lapua at Grafs. It was expensive. Including the shipping costs it was $307 for 1000 pieces. I gritted my teeth and ordered it. Glad I did. Best brass I've ever worked with.

To start, I counted. There was exactly 1000 pieces. There were absolutely no out of round case mouths. No hanging chads on the powder side of the flash hole. Inside diameters on the sample I checked (approximately 20 pcs) all were at 0.310". The lengths on my sample ran 0.912" to 0.914". I primed 100 cases and didn't feel any variation in seating pressure with Fed 100s.

I could have used the brass as is, but being the 32 S&W Long is very picky, I went ahead and trimmed the 100 pcs to 0.910", sized, expanded and loaded.

The price was high, but amortisized over how many years it'll take to use up the 1000 pieces, it'll be cheap in the long run and I'll have the pleasure of using fabulous brass all the way there.