PDA

View Full Version : Carcano new front blade?

Muskyhunter1
11-28-2013, 07:31 AM
I got an old 6.5 Carcano Sporter that shoots amazing groups. The only down size they are about 24" high at 50 yards. I need a a higher front blade. I can't find an after market front blade and I personally don't have a lot of faith with the bedding compound molding technique.

Has anyone taken a modern day high front blade sight and filed it down to fit the Carcano? Even better is the Carcano dovetails slot the same size as some of the current front sights available - I am thinking not.

mark2935
11-28-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have a 1943 Beretta t.s. carbine. But I've "gotta guy" who can make a new front sight. My thought is how high, .25" to .30" and then I can file it down. Hunting season is here so this will be a project in the future. I'm also waiting on some reloading items. Please keep us posted.

Mark#35

WILCO
11-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Good ideas here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?210202-Are-replacement-(taller)-front-sight-blades-are-available-for-the-Carcano

Buckshot
11-30-2013, 11:50 PM
..........People laugh, but this is what I use to determine front sight height:

http://www.fototime.com/13CE8BA4DA1EB3C/standard.jpg

In this instance it's being used on a 577 Snider that had been cut back to carbine length. It's a piece of the stainless steel strip found in windshield wiper blades but any suitable strip of metal will work. Take side cutters and a 4" to 6" file to the range with you. Won't be too long before you have the rifle hitting exactly where you want. If you get any gas over the hose clamp, just say you're also experimenting with bore constriction :-)

...........Buckshot

JeffinNZ
12-01-2013, 02:26 AM
What I did with my .310 Cadet was file the blade down to the base then cut a dovetail and install a regular front blade. File the new blade to suit.

WILCO
12-01-2013, 05:39 AM
..........People laugh, but this is what I use to determine front sight height:

That's clever Buckshot!

WILCO
12-01-2013, 05:41 AM
What I did with my .310 Cadet was file the blade down to the base then cut a dovetail and install a regular front blade. File the new blade to suit.

WoW Jeff!

Must've been a pretty aggressive file. :)
Can you share pics of the finished product?

res45
12-01-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't own a Carcano but here are some spare parts that might be of use to somebody.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=28

TommyT
12-01-2013, 10:41 AM
I had a Carcano M91TS carbine that shot the same way. I built the front sight up with JB Weld then filed it down and ground it to the original style profile. Colored it black with a Sharpie and it looked like it was factory installed.

Muskyhunter1
01-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks Lads.

Tommy is the front sight solid? Would you feel banging it around in the woods while hunting? Can we see some pics?

Buckshot I like your idea. I am thinking I will try your clamp trick tomorrow at the range and see how high I need my front blade to be.

Jeff I like your idea too If I can buy a commercial blade I can always file the dovetail to hopefully fit my Carcano dovetail slot. This way I don't damage the original front sight. Will keep you posted folks. Thanks

Gtek
01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Springfield Sporters Inc. in PA had Carcano parts including sights years ago. I needed one because it was missing. If it needed to be raised I would Gas weld up and file to point of aim. Gtek

Muskyhunter1
01-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Weather was bad so I didn't hit the range today. I measured the dovetail of my Carcano front sight and it is 5mm. I had a front sight from a Mosin M44 on the workbench. I measured it and it is a little less than 5mm. It is higher than the Carcano post and I can file it down. just thinking....... I need to get to a gunshop to pick one up to try as I don't want to damage my good one.

uscra112
01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Northern Ontario? As in Hudson's Bay littoral? You have electricity up there? :kidding:

Frank46
01-21-2014, 12:35 AM
See if you can scrounge up a front sight blade from a mauser. They are usually higher. Frank

leadman
01-21-2014, 02:30 AM
I had a Beretta Carcano and it also hit extremely high so I used a very fine hacksaw blade to cut a slot in the sight paralel with the barrel. I then took an old coarse tooth hacksaw blade and cut a piece off and soldered it in the slot. the offset from the coarser teeth made it fit tighter. I then filed it down at the range. After sanding the rough edges off I blued it and it worked well and looked decent.

Muskyhunter1
01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
I took it to the range yesterday and using Buckshot's method I figure I need a blade .330/1000 and that will put the slugs in the bulls-eye at 50 yards at the lowest setting of the rear sight. Do you think I could get away with a 3/8 of an inch blade (.375/1000)? that would give me a lot of latitude up and down 50 - 100 yards depending on the load.

Sound like and good idea Frank. Is 5mm a standard European dovetail size? Most Mausers were likely built to European metric specs - right?

Leadman - Do you have a pics you could post? Sounds interesting - thanks

Frank46
01-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Most mausers take the 5mm dovetail as far as I can remember. What you could do is use a fine hacksaw to cut a slot in the existing blade and solder in a section of brass from an old key. I don't know anyone who does not have an old brass key floating around. Just something (the keys) you probably use everyday and take for granted. you could use a file to thin out the section you need before you cut it off. And JeffinNZ idea is pretty good as I have a cadet bbl around here that has had the same treatment. I recently took a front sight blade off of a win 1895 carbine in 30-40 krag that had been made out of a silver dime. Frank

adrians
01-29-2014, 11:14 AM
on my $50 beat all to heck carcano "blubbered" rifle the front sight was filed down ( I believe!) and a small piece of brass was soldered on and flattened down/ filed .

I haven't messed with the sight , couldn't make it any uglier if I tried but it shoots on at 75 yds.
A lot of fun over the years for 50 bucks..

:-D9492394924