PDA

View Full Version : Midsouth Shooters Supply has Bator & Soup Can Molds in stock

leadman
11-28-2013, 03:23 AM
I just purchased the Lee special order 55gr. Bator 22 caliber mold and it still shows in stock. The Lee 130gr 7mm Special Order Soup Can also shows in stock.
Haven't seen these in stock in awhile so buy while you can.

Dancing Bear
11-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Just placed an order. I've been checking on the Bator mold since last winter. Was even on the "list" for the June delivery till I found out demand far exceeded incoming product. I checked several days ago and got the no backorders taken line.

AlaskanGuy
11-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Very nice... Thanks for the heads up as well.. I been looking for one of these, and i got a 6 banger.. But they did charge 15 bucks for shipping... Total was 52.10 shipped for a 6 banger bator... Glad to have it... Thanks again for posting....

Alaskan

iron mule
11-29-2013, 01:06 PM
thanks from here also
i had the bator all ready//// but not the soup can///// it is on the way now
mule

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2013, 01:24 PM
hmmm, the Bator 2 cav mold is "out of stock"
where these in stock ?
Did anyone buy one of these ?

tygar
11-29-2013, 02:44 PM
I just purchased the Lee special order 55gr. Bator 22 caliber mold and it still shows in stock. The Lee 130gr 7mm Special Order Soup Can also shows in stock.

Thanks for the heads up. Got both plus some other stuff at a good price.
Tom

AlaskanGuy
11-29-2013, 03:04 PM
JonB, the 2 cav was out of stock for me too... But the 6 banger is there...

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2013, 03:46 PM
AG,
I already have two older (and different sized) Lee 22 bator 2 cav. molds, (one is 48gr. and one is 51.5gr) and I'll be curious what their new 2 cav. block style and CNC machining will mean for the bator. I think their small size mold block for their 2 cav. works great for the tiny Bator. I worry about the large 6-cav mold for a tiny boolit, I am guessing it'll be difficult to keep the mold temp high enough for perfect boolits...just my guess from using other 22 molds that I have that are made by different manufacturers.
Jon

dbosman
11-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Compared to not too long ago, MidSouth has a lot of Lee molds in stock.

Wayne S
11-29-2013, 06:06 PM
When someone gets their 22-55 mold and uses it, measure its OAL, The drawing in the site shows just over .500" as an OAL. The NOE 225 55 FN and their copy of the Saeco# 221 both measure .670-75

AlaskanGuy
11-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Will do Wayne.....

I was thinking the same thing JonB... I am sure it will be a fast and furious casting session...lol... I been wanting one of these for quite a while though, and couldn't pass it up....

AG

Para82
11-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. Got a 6 cavity on the way.Just got the email confirmation.Eager to try it out.
Para82

leadman
11-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I remember one of the 2 cavities was in stock, but did not pay much attention as I wanted a 6 cavity. I have a 2 cavity Lyman in the 45gr RN which is a great boolit but slow to cast with.
Glad others could take advantage of these molds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2013, 10:22 PM
YAY !!!
the Bator 2 cav. molds are in stock today !!!

and I placed an order, plus some other stuff. Check out the clearance section, they have some plastic Hinged ammo boxes for 44 Mag for 78˘

AlaskanGuy
12-02-2013, 11:35 PM
You dog.... Now i am gunna have to sell my 6 banger and order a 2 cav???? Now you tell me jon...

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-03-2013, 08:50 AM
AG,
I told ya as soon as I knew....we're talkin by a couple of minutes.
I should have bought an extra one...trade for fish...save you their shipping fee...oh well.
Maybe that 6 cav. will work good ?

Four-Sixty
12-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the head up. Bought the 6 cav. Now what am I going to get (and when) so I can shoot the boolits cast from it?

marlin39a
12-04-2013, 08:55 AM
I got an email from them on Monday. Ordered 2. I've been waiting forever for this mold to be in stock.

leadman
12-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Mine is on the Fed=Ex truck for delivery to me, usually comes late afternoon.

Nrut
12-04-2013, 02:43 PM
When you guys start casting with the .22 Bator please post bullet dia. and alloy used..
Also if the bullets are out of round or not..
Any other problems such as too small or over sized gas check shank..

I would like to get the .22 Bator mold but after 14-15 group buys from them in the past I have become gun shy..
Mostly out of round but the last one (a 6 banger 7mm soupcan from Mid South) gas check shank won't hold a gas check..

Thanks

leadman
12-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I cast just enough to get the wrinkles stopped and here are what my boolits measure at. This is a bare boolit.
Length= .530" with no gas check
diameter= .225" on driving bands, GC shank is .210" and my copper checks from 338RemUltraMag fit good. no runout!
weight= 51.5gr with my blend of COWW, isotope, reclaimed shot, and misc lead. 17BHN.

Nrut
12-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks for your reply leadman..
Been using .226"+ RCBS clone in my .222 and that size seems to work nicely..
Nose however is undersized for my bore at .218"..
I can't relate to your alloy as I just use WW and Pb mixed usually..
I should probably just order a Bator 2 banger and chance it..

TheGrimReaper
12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Whiterabbit
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM

I bought the last 7mm soupcan months ago. Was in stock, I hit submit, then it was out of stock. :)

I am surprised, I thought these were custom run orders? LEE finally made it through the backlog and is filling customs again?

Either way, good news to hear! I fear I may like the NOE hunter better than the soupcan (hint, anyone wanna trade? =D), but I have to admit I really like the soupcan heaps.

frkelly74
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I would say " Do not fear the 6 Cavity" . Mine works well and does not seem too difficult to keep at temperature. I got this one from another member here and was happy to get it. However, the drawing on the Midsouth page shows a .220" nose diameter, but the mold i have is .225" nose diameter which is a little snug in my AR chamber. The dimension at the bands is also .225". If someone orders a new mold and finds that they would prefer a fatter nose diameter I would be happy to discuss a trade with them. As cast weight is about 52.5 gr with my mutt alloy.

ShooterAZ
12-06-2013, 01:01 PM
What are you guys using for a top punch for the 22 bator?

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-06-2013, 07:00 PM
What are you guys using for a top punch for the 22 bator?
A custom one made by theperfessor

tygar
12-06-2013, 08:15 PM
A custom one made by theperfessor

Who is the perfessor? I will need a punch for it also.
Thanks
Tom

ShooterAZ
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
He is a vendor sponsor on the site. Search his name and you will find him. I know he was having some health problems and hope he is doing OK. I think he may have taken some time off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Who is the perfessor? I will need a punch for it also.
Thanks
Tom

He may or may not be able to do machining, due to his current health conditions ? But, be sure to contact him anyway, he may have some top punches in 22 cal on the shelf. I use "5 minute" epoxy and my Lyman 45 as a jig...be sure to oil/grease the boolit well for release.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?112298-Conformal-No-Tools-Needed-Lyman-RCBS-Style-Nose-Punches

BTW, I got my midsouth shipment yesterday. They sent me the 6-cavity bator by mistake and am waiting instructions to return it, I suspose it'll be the end of next week before the 2 cavity arrives :(

trooperdan
12-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Is the 284-130 the 7 mm soup can? If not, it is no longer listed as are also no .225's! Many, many other Lee moulds though! Very interesting!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Is the 284-130 the 7 mm soup can? If not, it is no longer listed as are also no .225's! Many, many other Lee moulds though! Very interesting!
Dan,
you need to look at the page "SPECIAL ORDER MOULDS" in their "LEAD BULLET CASTING" section

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=LEAD+BULLET+CASTING&dept3=SPECIAL+ORDER+MOULDS&sortItem=Newest

waco
12-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Well I ordered the 6 banger .225 bator last night. I'll report back when I receive it and get a chance to use it.

tygar
12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Well I ordered the 6 banger .225 bator last night. I'll report back when I receive it and get a chance to use it.

I received my 6cav yesterday & cast today. It is not easy to cast those itty bitty bulits in that big mold.

Although I got good bullets right away my discard rate was about 10% after I learned how to regulate the flow rate & heat. Being so small it was easy to get a little error if the pour wasn't just right.

I wonder if I will be able to actually be able to seat checks on that little thing. I had trouble with 7mm & 6.5 with my big hands & I'm shaky with little stuff.

Any idea what hardness should be used on this? I was just using COWWs with a little tin water quenched. This was mainly to try out the new mold & melter plus I needed some 300gr .454s.

I guess this is for another thread but have any of you noticed that the Lee 20# heats very hot? I had mine down to 0 trying to get the temp down under 700.

It also was my first time using my new Lee 20#. It is not a caster friendly unit, especially with a 6cav. I also cast a Lyman 2cav & RCBS 2cav which were easier but still not as easy as the Lee10#.

Any suggestions on loads for this 22? BTW it dropped at 51gr w/o GC so should be right at 55 with.

I am going to start off with Rem 22-250 & Sav .223. I have heard this is not the bullet for an AR. I think 1 is a 9 twist & the other a 14.

Also, I did contact the perfessor & he is not doing any work due to his medical problems.

Any ideas on a proper bunch for this?
Thanks
Tom

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I received my 6cav yesterday & cast today. It is not easy to cast those itty bitty bulits in that big mold.

Although I got good bullets right away my discard rate was about 10%

with 22 cal boolits, the importance of culling out boolits with even the tinyest flaws is crucial for accuracy. I bet when you get to looking them over more closely, you'll find that you'll reject more than 10%. I know I do. Oh, and don't forget the weight sorting.

after I learned how to regulate the flow rate & heat. Being so small it was easy to get a little error if the pour wasn't just right.

I wonder if I will be able to actually be able to seat checks on that little thing. I had trouble with 7mm & 6.5 with my big hands & I'm shaky with little stuff.

Any idea what hardness should be used on this?

what pressure are you gonna load to ?
read this:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
specifically the section titled, "Approximate "Maximum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)"

I was just using COWWs with a little tin water quenched. This was mainly to try out the new mold & melter plus I needed some 300gr .454s.

I guess this is for another thread but have any of you noticed that the Lee 20# heats very hot? I had mine down to 0 trying to get the temp down under 700.

WHAT ? something sounds wrong !

It also was my first time using my new Lee 20#. It is not a caster friendly unit, especially with a 6cav. I also cast a Lyman 2cav & RCBS 2cav which were easier but still not as easy as the Lee10#.

Any suggestions on loads for this 22?

Do you have a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook ? If your copy has the caliber you want to load for, they will list load data.

BTW it dropped at 51gr w/o GC so should be right at 55 with.

22 GC's are not that heavy

I am going to start off with Rem 22-250 & Sav .223. I have heard this is not the bullet for an AR.
I think 1 is a 9 twist & the other a 14.

Lee's version of the Bator 'might' be stable flying out of your 1:9 barrel, But that short fat nosed boolit will truely love being pushed through the 1:14 barrel. I'd start with loads that acheive a MV of around 1600fps, then work up til accuracy goes south. You may have issues with chambering (ie:seating depth), if your rifle has a tight chamber.

Also, I did contact the perfessor & he is not doing any work due to his medical problems.

Any ideas on a proper bunch for this?

since this have a flat nose, you could look for a flat 22 cal punch, or make one if you're handy? I know Accurate Molds offers flat nose punches with his molds, but maybe not for 22 cal. But if you ask him, he could probably make one special for you.

Thanks
Tom

Good Luck,
Jon

KCcactus
12-08-2013, 12:47 PM

I have both the Lee 10lb and 20lb and rarely use the 10 now. If you are down at or near 0 and still at 700 degrees, I agree you have a problem. Maybe a defective thermostat? I would contact Lee. Mine is normally between 6 and 7 with a full pot. I turn it down a little when it gets below half way. I don't have a thermometer.

The only issue I have with the 20 is that when it is full, the stream comes out so fast it's easy to overload the sprue plate. That usually goes away when the level is an inch or so below the top. If I'm using a 6 cavity mold, I prefer to use the 20. I also use it for my MP 4 cavity molds. Most of what I cast is 200+ gr and the 10 lb empties way too fast.

leadman
12-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I have been casting 22 caliber boolits in a Lyman mold for 12 years or so. I have found that Linotype is the best alloy to use. A 10/1 lead to tin may work alright also. I have tried softer alloys but always had a reject rate that was too high for me.
The Bator has a very small flat nose so a flat punch should work good. I use the Hi-Tek coating so bought a .225" Lee sizing die.
I cast about 500 of these boolits this morning and the mold worked perfect. The lino sets up fast so really appreciated the new style sprue plate lever with increased travel. No problem even cutting warm lino after I had a phone call after just filling the mold.

I have used 7 grs of 700X in the 223 Rem for a light load and 24 grs of H4895 for a high velocity load with the LYMAN 46GR. boolit. Will probably have to load a little lighter for this Bator 55gr boolit.

waco
12-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Good to know leadman. I too ordered a Lee .225 sizer. I'll be PC these for my brothers .223 and my CZ527 in .221

I have lots of Lino on hand, I'll give that a try.

AKtinman
12-08-2013, 05:48 PM
They sent me the 6-cavity bator by mistake and am waiting instructions to return it, I suspose it'll be the end of next week before the 2 cavity arrives :(

Hey Jon, I'll buy the 6 cavity from you and save you having to return it, if that works for you.

Regards

Ron

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Hey Jon, I'll buy the 6 cavity from you and save you having to return it, if that works for you.
Regards
Ron
Ron,
Good to know, they haven't responded to my email that I sent them on the 6th, yet. I'll try to work that into the conversation, when they reply.
Jon

trooperdan
12-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Dan,
you need to look at the page "SPECIAL ORDER MOULDS" in their "LEAD BULLET CASTING" section

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=LEAD+BULLET+CASTING&dept3=SPECIAL+ORDER+MOULDS&sortItem=Newest

Jon, thanks, I completely missed that! I wanted to make an order but my credit card address and shipping address are different and I needed to speak with a human but they closed early due to the storm.

tygar
12-09-2013, 03:42 PM
----------I received my 6cav yesterday & cast today. It is not easy to cast those itty bitty bulits in that big mold.

Although I got good bullets right away my discard rate was about 10%

with 22 cal boolits, the importance of culling out boolits with even the tinyest flaws is crucial for accuracy. I bet when you get to looking them over more closely, you'll find that you'll reject more than 10%. I know I do. Oh, and don't forget the weight sorting. -----------

Thanks for the reply.
Since I didn't start counting "good" until I had the furnace figured out I'm not really much above 10% culls.

---------
Any idea what hardness should be used on this?

what pressure are you gonna load to ?
read this:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
specifically the section titled, "Approximate "Maximum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)"
------------------------

Yep have it, read it, just a generic question on what people are using for this little bugger. (to tell the truth, I have to really work to figure out some of the math on this stuff. Not my area)

----------------------

WHAT ? something sounds wrong !
-----------------
Yep, that's why I asked. My Lee melter 20#, is around 5 to get under 700 & Lee 10# is a 6. I am going to try it again just to see what's up.
-------------------

Do you have a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook ? If your copy has the caliber you want to load for, they will list load data. ------------------

Yes I have it plus cast bullet books that I have had since the 60s. The reason one asks that question is to get insight on what others have found works for them. It can easily cut the experimentation to a fraction.

I don't understand this cast bullet thing where someone asks about loads & gets told to read a book. We have the books usually, at least I do. When I get together with my long range shooting buddies most of the talk is about what bullets, loads, primers, turning necks, annealing cases etc. we are useing with success or failure.

That is the first thing we talk about.

When I got my last 1000yd gun it was a Bat action with Spencer barrel & the first thing I did was talk to the guy who had it's twin brother, what his load was etc. (since he was the national champ with his gun I figured I might want to start with his load) He like everyone else I know was more than happy to share.

Why is it such a big deal here. If you all want to know what my .308 500yd load that shoots under 2" is, I'm happy to let you know; everything. Hope you do even better.

Another thing is that the cast bullet manuals, like jacketed manuals, don't have lots of loads that work well. Does that Lyman have in it to start at lowest jacketed load offered (in the proper powder of course) for you to cast?

I guarantee you my 43.5 - 44.5 RL15 under a 175gr match bullet is not in any manual but it works.

Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot.

Almost all my ARs are made to shoot 75s-80s even the CQC guns shoot 62s & 75s. So an accuracy load for a 55gr is not anything I use & getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that I have little experience in.

I'm not trying to be a smartaz but I've been reading the gripe session in the "cast boolits" section about people asking questions & don't think a lot of what newbys are doing is so wrong.

If you don't want to answer you don't have too.

I think I will address that over there.

Any ways, thanks for the info. I'll check with Accurate, I'm waiting to hear back from NOE if he can do some up for me.
Thanks
Tom

12-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I just got my 22 bator 2cav out of the mailbox! I filled my pot with some Lyman #2 yesterday. Will report back soon

LynC2
12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I just got my 22 bator 2cav out of the mailbox! I filled my pot with some Lyman #2 yesterday. Will report back soon

Mine just came in today also, but it's too darn cold in the garage to try it out. I guess I'm getting to be a wuss in my old age. ;-)

tygar
12-09-2013, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=KCcactus;2513633]I have both the Lee 10lb and 20lb and rarely use the 10 now. If you are down at or near 0 and still at 700 degrees, I agree you have a problem. Maybe a defective thermostat? I would contact Lee. Mine is normally between 6 and 7 with a full pot. I turn it down a little when it gets below half way. I don't have a thermometer.

I hear that; most of mine are 230-450 & that really sucks lead.

I finally found a setting on the rod that was slow enough to not overflow the Bator mold with a nice small sprue puddle.

What I always have done is flux after I get a pot melted, even though it was fluxed twice before it was made into ingots. I knock sprue back into the pot if I can & add it back to it & when I get to 1/2 I add more ingots until full & then flux again.

I also have to turn mine down as I lower the level. If I'm going to keep casting past 1/2 it gets turned down several times to keep it at m/l 675.

I'm pretty sure I've got a bad pot. I'll try it again just to make sure I don't send a good pot back & get a *** from Lee. lol
Thanks
Tom

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2013, 11:26 PM
...snip...

Do you have a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook ? If your copy has the caliber you want to load for, they will list load data. ------------------

Yes I have it plus cast bullet books that I have had since the 60s. The reason one asks that question is to get insight on what others have found works for them. It can easily cut the experimentation to a fraction.

I don't understand this cast bullet thing where someone asks about loads & gets told to read a book. We have the books usually, at least I do. When I get together with my long range shooting buddies most of the talk is about what bullets, loads, primers, turning necks, annealing cases etc. we are useing with success or failure.

That is the first thing we talk about.

When I got my last 1000yd gun it was a Bat action with Spencer barrel & the first thing I did was talk to the guy who had it's twin brother, what his load was etc. (since he was the national champ with his gun I figured I might want to start with his load) He like everyone else I know was more than happy to share.

Why is it such a big deal here. If you all want to know what my .308 500yd load that shoots under 2" is, I'm happy to let you know; everything. Hope you do even better.

Another thing is that the cast bullet manuals, like jacketed manuals, don't have lots of loads that work well. Does that Lyman have in it to start at lowest jacketed load offered (in the proper powder of course) for you to cast?

I guarantee you my 43.5 - 44.5 RL15 under a 175gr match bullet is not in any manual but it works.

Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot.

Almost all my ARs are made to shoot 75s-80s even the CQC guns shoot 62s & 75s. So an accuracy load for a 55gr is not anything I use & getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that I have little experience in.

I'm not trying to be a smartaz but I've been reading the gripe session in the "cast boolits" section about people asking questions & don't think a lot of what newbys are doing is so wrong.

If you don't want to answer you don't have too.

...snip...

WOW ! ??? !!!

IMHO, your post, which I replied too, 'read' like you have little experience in casting/loading cast boolits for rifle. So whether you have been casting since the 60s or just started 60 days ago, I had no idea, I don't know you like your buddies know you. I suspected you were a newbie who hasn't read a manual yet and I am not going to give loading data to someone who hasn't read a manual.

You didn't say what caliber you were reloading, you didn't say what gun you planned to shoot them through or the details of the gun like twist rate and such??? So if I felt like including some load data, it would have been for Ruger 77/22H with a 1:12. But why would I waste my time digging through my notebooks when I didn't know if it would help.

20,000+ members here and no one gave you any load info "for this 22" ...and the only member (Me) who responded to your Q, "Any suggestions on loads for this 22?" and you give me a lecture on my discretion.

Then after all that...
you say this,
"Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot."
sounds like if your gun shoots patterns instead of groups, you'd be OK with that. I'm thinking any starting load in The Lyman cast bullet handbook #4 in 223rem will be just fine.

You want groups instead of patterns? you should search and read some of the 100's of threads with titles like, "Can I shoot Lead in my AR?" and/or "which 556 mold for my AR?" posted by all the newbies in the last year of Obama craziness, There is lots of great info in those threads posted by people who have loaded cast in AR's for a long time. Lastly, I believe the Bator is a poor choice for the AR.
Good luck,
Jon

tygar
12-10-2013, 12:32 AM
WOW ! ??? !!!

IMHO, your post, which I replied too, 'read' like you have little experience in casting/loading cast boolits for rifle. So whether you have been casting since the 60s or just started 60 days ago, I had no idea, I don't know you like your buddies know you. I suspected you were a newbie who hasn't read a manual yet and I am not going to give loading data to someone who hasn't read a manual.

You didn't say what caliber you were reloading, you didn't say what gun you planned to shoot them through or the details of the gun like twist rate and such??? So if I felt like including some load data, it would have been for Ruger 77/22H with a 1:12. But why would I waste my time digging through my notebooks when I didn't know if it would help.

20,000+ members here and no one gave you any load info "for this 22" ...and the only member (Me) who responded to your Q, "Any suggestions on loads for this 22?" and you give me a lecture on my discretion.

Then after all that...
you say this,
"Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot."
sounds like if your gun shoots patterns instead of groups, you'd be OK with that. I'm thinking any starting load in The Lyman cast bullet handbook #4 in 223rem will be just fine.

You want groups instead of patterns? you should search and read some of the 100's of threads with titles like, "Can I shoot Lead in my AR?" and/or "which 556 mold for my AR?" posted by all the newbies in the last year of Obama craziness, There is lots of great info in those threads posted by people who have loaded cast in AR's for a long time. Lastly, I believe the Bator is a poor choice for the AR.
Good luck,
Jon

To start out I specifically said what rifles I was going to use - read my posts Rem 700 22-250 & Sav .223 w/ 1-14 & 1-9 twists. Second if you don't see that I shoot little bitty groups at very long range & know what I'm doing then u better get real.

I said 55s for the kids to play. I have ARs that shoot less than MOA at 500 & bolts that shoot .25.

You need to read better. When someone is talking about Bat action, Spencer brl guns that go about 5k they very well might have an idea whats going on.

I don't try to sound like a know it all like some people & clearly have said I don't have expertise in Rifle CBs so I ask questions.

I have searched this site for specific info & have looked at what was found but frequently little or nothing came up in the search. If you don't know what the key is to retrieve it then it won't come up. Just saying look it up isn't much help.

Contrary to what you said I was obviously talking about jacketed bullets in 55s since I just got a .22 cast bullet mold & where did you get anything about me shooting "patterns". ---of--- is just showing that it could be one of several loads. e.g. 25.0 of H335.

Now I also clearly stated that I was talking about the "general" attitude & specifically commented that it was on the other thread.

I did find things you said condescending (to which I didn't respond) & you ignore what I say & cherry pick a piece of the line & use it to belittle the statement. e.g. You pick - Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot. "Saying I shoot patterns."

And ignore: Almost all my ARs are made to shoot 75s-80s even the CQC guns shoot 62s & 75s. So an accuracy load for a 55gr is not anything I use & getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that I have little experience in. (so what part of I don't shoot 55s very much is not clear but heavier bullets)

What part of my ARs, of which I have 7, 4 of which are match or sniper guns & 3 are CQC rifles that use heavier bullets, didn't you get?

Do me a favor & if we cross paths on another thread just pass me bye & I'll do the same with you & then neither one of us will get upset.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2013, 12:50 AM
ignore

tygar
12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
ignore
Finally
double ignore

Buzzard II
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Just ordered 2 of the 2 cavity .22 Bator molds. Thanks for the info! Bob

12/14/2013-Received order already, NICE!

bangerjim
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Got my bator 6 banger yesterday, fired up the 4-20 pot and cast/water dropped about 400 in no time.

Perfect boolits from the pre-heated mold on 1st drop.

I DO use pressure casting, as that fills the small cavities very fast and very well. Some complain about poor fill with the small cavity size. Try pressure casting! It works for any small cal mold. Actually.....ANY mold.

I use it a LOT!

Now to PC them on the new jig I am building today. Then CU GC's for all.

Temps here yesterday were touching 60! Sorry guys! Perfect casting weather.

banger

12-10-2013, 02:13 PM

12-10-2013, 09:49 PM
90157 i was pleasantly surprised at how well this mold performed. probably better than any of my Lee molds. this boolit weighs 50.0gr with the gc and cast with Lyman #2 alloy

waco
12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I can't wait to get mine! Should be here Friday the 13th!! (scary!)

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Regards

Ron

PM sent

AlaskanGuy
12-10-2013, 11:49 PM
I got my bator today... Yeeee haw... Too bad i am working on a couple of christmas guns..... Prolly be next week before i can cast again.....

AG

waco
12-11-2013, 12:05 AM
AG
I got those boolits in the mail today.

waco
12-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Anyone happen to know the BC of the .22 Bator?

12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Anyone happen to know the BC of the .22 Bator? sorry for being such a noob, but what is BC?

waco
12-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Ballistic Coefficient

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Anyone happen to know the BC of the .22 Bator?

I'm not sure if Lee actually machines their Bator to these specs, but this is all I've ever seen.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/006-22BATOR.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/006-22BATOR.jpg.html)

waco
12-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info Jon

12-12-2013, 10:01 PM
i would be interested to know what OAL you guys will be using with the Bator. it's gonna need to be quite short with the nose profile to work in my boltgun. i know that 2.090" works, but i left the boolit a little longer on the next round (2.160) to see if it would touch the rifling and seat itself deeper. well, it did but the bullet stuck in the rifling so much that when i extracted the round, the boolit was stuck in the gun. now i have to pick up a dowel rod to knock it out. anyhow, i was surprised at this because my lyman book shows that the 225464 (i think) is a very similar design as the Bator but an OAL of 2.260"

waco
12-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Just tap it out with your cleaning rod.

12-12-2013, 11:08 PM
yep, that'll work. thanks
Just tap it out with your cleaning rod.

AlaskanGuy
12-12-2013, 11:36 PM
I am gunna cast mine tomorrow....

Wish me luck.... Gunna make them pretty hard....

Ag

waco
12-13-2013, 12:07 AM
I was thinking pure Lino.

frkelly74
12-13-2013, 12:23 AM
To the ones who have begun casting with their new molds: i am curious what the diameter of the nose section of the boolits are running. Are they coming out of the molds at .220 like the drawing indicates?

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-13-2013, 09:17 AM
i would be interested to know what OAL you guys will be using with the Bator. it's gonna need to be quite short with the nose profile to work in my boltgun. i know that 2.090" works, but i left the boolit a little longer on the next round (2.160) to see if it would touch the rifling and seat itself deeper. well, it did but the bullet stuck in the rifling so much that when i extracted the round, the boolit was stuck in the gun. now i have to pick up a dowel rod to knock it out. anyhow, i was surprised at this because my lyman book shows that the 225464 (i think) is a very similar design as the Bator but an OAL of 2.260"

To the ones who have begun casting with their new molds: i am curious what the diameter of the nose section of the boolits are running. Are they coming out of the molds at .220 like the drawing indicates?

The older Lee bator molds are notorious for a Fat Nose...like around .226
So it's a challenge for sure to get a OAL where the nose makes contact with the rifling...it doesn't "bore ride"
BTW, What's the nose diameter of your boolits ?

frkelly,
great question, from .429's comments and question, I suspect they haven't changed, but am waiting anxiously for the same answer. I still haven't received my 2 cav. mold...I'm sitting on the mistakenly shipped 6cav, waiting to return it, so I dare not cast with it.

12-13-2013, 09:30 AM
90389thanks guys for the help! Here's my nose diameter

12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Also, my driving bands drop at .226-.227 and they weigh 50.0gr with an alum gc and a coat of 45/45/10

waco
12-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Can't wait! Mine should be at the house when I get off work tonight! I'll cast with it this weekend.

Nrut
12-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Also, my driving bands drop at .226-.227 and they weigh 50.0gr with an alum gc and a coat of 45/45/10
That's perfect for my needs .429 in both nose and body diameter..
What alloy are you using?
Thanks

12-13-2013, 02:46 PM
That's perfect for my needs .429 in both nose and body diameter..
What alloy are you using?
Thankslyman #2

frkelly74
12-13-2013, 04:00 PM
The mold I have is an older one and it has a nose diameter of .225 and is also .225 at the bands. Of the few I have put through my AR, two have failed to chamber but that might have been because of a slightly collapsed case shoulder. The next ones I load will have a crimp applied in a separate operation.

That .220 nose should chamber in about anything.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-13-2013, 07:21 PM
This is great News !!!

12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
90441seating the boolit on the top driving band seems to be the right depth for me. it sure is a short OAL, but the top driving band is in the same location as the cantalure on some 55gr fmjs that i've got which puts the bases at the same depth. i'd have to think the pressures would be similar

waco
12-14-2013, 01:28 AM
I got my mold today. Cast some up out of 80/20 COWW/LINO air cooled.
I sorted by sight for defects, still need to weigh them.
I'll GC and PC then sort by weight.

frkelly74
12-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Well, I have ordered one of the 6 cavities molds because of the nose diameter reported above just because they are available now. I want to seat them long enough to keep the gas check in the neck of the case and this one looks like it will do that. Probably I will put the fat nose one for sale on ebay at some point.

What gas checks are being used on these? ( next question) I have put some aluminum ones on the boolits from the mold that I currently have and they start out fitting loose but tighten up somewhat when I crimp them and stay on but can be pulled off pretty easily. I don't really care if they stay on or fall off after they leave the bore as long as they all either all stay on or all fall off.

The adventure continues.

waco
12-14-2013, 01:12 PM
I bought Hornady gas check. Haven't tried seating any yet. I'll let you know how they work.

high standard 40
12-14-2013, 01:23 PM

My 6 cavity mold yields a .219" nose and .226" drive bands using an alloy of 80% COWW/20% Lino. I did note that my particular mold gives very poor bullet bases with a very ugly sprue cut. I disassembled the mold and put the sprue plate on some sand paper and discovered it was cupped pretty bad. I now have it trued up and I also touched up the sprue holes with a camphering cutter. Operation seems to be much smoother now but I have not had the opportunity to cast with it yet.

waco
12-14-2013, 02:00 PM
My 6 cavity mold yields a .219" nose and .226" drive bands using an alloy of 80% COWW/20% Lino. I did note that my particular mold gives very poor bullet bases with a very ugly sprue cut. I disassembled the mold and put the sprue plate on some sand paper and discovered it was cupped pretty bad. I now have it trued up and I also touched up the sprue holes with a camphering cutter. Operation seems to be much smoother now but I have not had the opportunity to cast with it yet.

I might try that. Some of my bases are not flat. If you look at my pic, you can see some of the boolits are leaning.

12-14-2013, 02:03 PM
i used alum gas checks that came from a guy here on the site. they seated good after going thru the Lee sizer. it sounds like they did make a change with the diameter of the nose and i wonder if that's why these are now 5gr less? doesn't bother me, i like the lighter boolits

high standard 40
12-14-2013, 03:20 PM
What gas checks are being used on these? ( next question) I have put some aluminum ones on the boolits from the mold that I currently have and they start out fitting loose but tighten up somewhat when I crimp them and stay on but can be pulled off pretty easily.

I just poured a few to test my modified sprue plate and the bullet bases are much better. I have not sized and lubed any yet but I did measure the bullet base because of what you said about loose gaschecks. I'm getting .210" so I placed a gascheck cup side up on my bench and placed a bullet into the check. If you then pick up the bullet, the gascheck stays on the bench. Kinda loose. I'll have to see if they will crimp on tight enough.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-14-2013, 03:40 PM
i used alum gas checks that came from a guy here on the site. they seated good after going thru the Lee sizer. it sounds like they did make a change with the diameter of the nose and i wonder if that's why these are now 5gr less? doesn't bother me, i like the lighter boolits

while it'll depend on what alloy you cast with, My two 'older' midsouth/Lee bator molds cast light as well. below is a copy of my post, from much earlier in this thread. those weights were from using an alloy of 94-3-3. and both boolits have FAT noses.

AG,
I already have two older (and different sized) Lee 22 bator 2 cav. molds, (one is 48gr. and one is 51.5gr) and I'll be curious what their new 2 cav. block style and CNC machining will mean for the bator. I think their small size mold block for their 2 cav. works great for the tiny Bator. I worry about the large 6-cav mold for a tiny boolit, I am guessing it'll be difficult to keep the mold temp high enough for perfect boolits...just my guess from using other 22 molds that I have that are made by different manufacturers.
Jon

xacex
12-14-2013, 03:41 PM
This mold has to be the most inconsistent from batch to batch that LEE ever produced. Whenever I see a new batch posted here there is something wrong like nose diameter being to big, or to small, gas check shank being to big,or weight being to little. Maybe this is why it is not a production run item. To many problems with QC on a tiny boolit. I had one that cast a perfect boolit, cast a bunch that I have stored, and sold off the mold. Got over 300$ for it on fleabay. It seems the rarity of the mold makes it valuable in times of need. It payed for some of my Mihec molds;)

AlaskanGuy
12-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Well, i had forgotten to make everything ship shape before i started breaking in the 6 banger.....

Nonetheless, here is the pic....

Make sure to have all your ducks in a row... Flow rate, temp on purty hot, mold heated long and hot.... They come out hot and heavy, but i forgot what a pain it is to break in a brand new mold..... In the picture above, pile on top if the first cull run, and from that i culled again and got the pile on bottom, now i will move to the scale and prolly throw most of the bottom pile back in the pot...lol

Hey, is gotta be done.... Lol... One good thing though, at least i scrubbed the poop out of it and they were dropping free and nice...

You get yours worked out yet Watco?

AG

AlaskanGuy
12-14-2013, 07:43 PM
This is what i got. Mine mostly weighed around 51.0 to 51.3 gr of the ones that i kept.
Nose

Bands

GC Shank

OAL

There ya go.... Hope its a shooter... Hope to try when the weather breaks.... Prolly be 10 days or so, so the bullets can cure at least a little bit.... I usually let hem sit for a month.... But i wanna play... I think i will alox a few and then size them .225 and see how they do... I know, i am rushing them, but i promise to only do 10 or 12.... He he

Ag

Idz
12-14-2013, 08:12 PM
For my first batch using my aluminum GC on range scrap alloy I got 50.9 +/- 0.8% weight and 0.557 +/- 0.4% OAL . (The quoted relative errors are the standard deviations of the sample). My plan is to try these with a powder coat.

waco
12-14-2013, 10:40 PM
I cast some with 80/20 COWW/LINO air cooled. I sorted out the culls and kept the ones that weighed between 50.4-50.7gr

I then ran them through a Lee .225 sizer with Hornady gas checks. After that, I shot them with HF Matte black PC, Baked in the oven @ 400 Deg. for 20 min. then water dropped.

A light coat of Lee liquid alox and back through the .225 sizer.

Boolits weigh 52.5-52.7gr ready to load.

CZ 221 Fireball, and Savage 10 .223 will be the test.

waco
12-14-2013, 10:51 PM
BTW

Right out of the mold with my alloy, .226 driving bands ans a .221 nose.

50.4-50.7grs

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2013, 12:34 AM
the news of more molds having the smaller nose keeps coming...this is great !

AlaskanGuy
12-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Where is yours Jon????

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2013, 12:49 AM
The new "mis-shipped" six cav. mold is sitting right next to me, the new 2 cav. which I originally ordered, but they shipped the six'er instead, is being shipped in a second package with a return shipper label for the six'er, which is still in the hands of a civil servant. Maybe monday or tuesday it'll be here ???

leadman
12-15-2013, 04:17 AM
high standard 40, the sprue plate is machined so there is a cup in it. I spoke with Andy Lee at length about this but he thinks this is a good idea. He siad it helps the molds vent. I take my sprue plate over the the belt sander and flatten the bottom out and then I get a flat base with no flashing on it.
On the larger caliber 6 cavity molds I open the fill holes and they fill much better from my RCBS bottom pour pot.

high standard 40
12-15-2013, 10:38 AM
high standard 40, the sprue plate is machined so there is a cup in it. I spoke with Andy Lee at length about this but he thinks this is a good idea. He siad it helps the molds vent. I take my sprue plate over the the belt sander and flatten the bottom out and then I get a flat base with no flashing on it.
On the larger caliber 6 cavity molds I open the fill holes and they fill much better from my RCBS bottom pour pot.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page here. I'm getting much better bullets since I dressed the plate.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Sounds like you and I are on the same page here. I'm getting much better bullets since I dressed the plate.

Well Dang it Andy Lee !!!
I thought I've 'warped' a couple of my six cav mold sprue plates. I ordered a few custom made steel six cav sprue plates for real troublesome cases...My RD 225-50 RF plain base was the worst, the new steel sprue plate made all the difference in the world for base consistency. Venting he says...there is many better ways to get better venting.

Rant Off.

historicfirearms
12-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Anyone tried the newer bator in a semi auto yet? Wondering how they would feed.

AlaskanGuy
12-15-2013, 02:01 PM
I have some loaded in front of unique.... 6.5 gr... And they sure are funny looking.

I took one and shoved it into the chamber to see how far to seat.... I seated at 2.062 to engage where needed..

12-15-2013, 07:11 PM
9062690627here's my first group. it's about a 4.5"in group at 100yrds. i'm pretty happy with it since I havn't done any ladder testing yet. i used i4198 and loaded them to about 1900fps. it should be pretty easy to cut this group size in half

12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I have some loaded in front of unique.... 6.5 gr... And they sure are funny looking.

I took one and shoved it into the chamber to see how far to seat.... I seated at 2.062 to engage where needed..

they are pretty funny looking! i seated mine at 2.060"

AlaskanGuy
12-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Yours is just as finny looking as mine....lmao.... I just cant get over how tiny they are... Hope mine shoot... But cant get to the range... Snowing like heck outside... Better for me to wait a couple days. Prolly better that way anyway... Poor things need time to mature a bit anyway.... But i am ready to play...

historicfirearms
12-15-2013, 10:40 PM
9062690627here's my first group. it's about a 4.5"in group at 100yrds. i'm pretty happy with it since I havn't done any ladder testing yet. i used i4198 and loaded them to about 1900fps. it should be pretty easy to cut this group size in half

Good first try, for sure. What rifle did you use?

12-15-2013, 11:16 PM
alaskan, be sure to let us know how it goes at the range. hf, thanks! i was using my Howa .223 1-12" twist.
Good first try, for sure. What rifle did you use?

AlaskanGuy
12-15-2013, 11:20 PM
I am gunna try in the savage Axis with a 1 in 9 twist... That ought to throw things for a loop...

AlaskanGuy
12-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Well C.R.A.P.... Was into a hot and heavy casting session, and doing real good with the new bator 6 banger, and then WHAMO. The handle broke on the spru plate right at the nut where it attaches... Dang.... I did get about 250 good ones though.... Now i get to see about the awesome lee support that everybody talks about...90743

AG

waco
12-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Man...I did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago with a new 6 cav. Lee 45 228gr RN mold.
Lucky for me I have other 6 cav. Lees laying around and just stole a handle off one of them.
Bummer man.....

AlaskanGuy
12-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Yea waco... I have a bunch of them 6 bangers.... But i needed to stop casting during a hot and heavy session... So i finished up the session with 250 124 gr 9 mm boolits for AlaskanGurl... She needed a bit of cheering up with her fathers passing a few days ago....

AG

waco
12-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Yea waco... I have a bunch of them 6 bangers.... But i needed to stop casting during a hot and heavy session... So i finished up the session with 250 124 gr 9 mm boolits for AlaskanGurl... She needed a bit of cheering up with her fathers passing a few days ago....

AG

Sorry to hear that.....

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 12:53 AM
He was saved Waco, so i am not sad for him, i rejoice... He has been imprisoned in a useless shell without sight or use of his right side for the last 7 months... I am blessed and envious of him now. After 7 months of suffering, he is home finally.

AG

Garyshome
12-17-2013, 01:03 AM
55gr. Bator 22 caliber mold I need one real bad!!!

waco
12-17-2013, 01:40 AM
He was saved Waco, so i am not sad for him, i rejoice... He has been imprisoned in a useless shell without sight or use of his right side for the last 7 months... I am blessed and envious of him now. After 7 months of suffering, he is home finally.

AG

Amen.

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 02:00 AM
GarysHome... Mid south had them in stock.... Better get while the getting is good....lol

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Yee haw,

Lee is sending the new sprue plate and handle..

leadman
12-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Alaskaguy, could have been a defective handle that didn't cut the mustard. I'm using lino for my Bators and the mold has to be hotter than normal and cut at the first hint of solidifying. Reject is low so it is worthwhile.

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 09:45 PM
I wasnt using pure lino leadman... I did cast them pretty hard, 70 lino, 25 WW and 5 tin is the alloy i been playing with... Real hard. I cut spru real fast.. Sometimes a bit too fast.. Occasionally i get a smear.... I run the mold real hot... On the last session, i cast about 300 ish and ended up with over 250 nice ones that made it to the scales... i havent started weighing them yet, but I am expecting some good ones... I cast then re-heat and repeat.. Been working pretty good for the tiny boolits...

Leadman, what do you think your cull rate is with yours????

AG

leadman
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Based on appearance only as I have not weighed them about 1%. Probably will increase when I weigh them. My Lyman 45gr 22 cal. will probably be around 5%. This is why I use lino as other alloys have been as high as 25% or more cull rate.

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Wow... That is a great cull rate..... Maybe i should be doing straight lino... Hard to come by in my neck of the woods.... I try to get the most mileage i can out the little bit of lino that i come by...

Looks like its back to evil-bay

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
well, I got to casting with the New Bator today. Using 94-3-3 alloy. I was also trying out the "prime the spout" technique that goodsteel was talking about on another thread. I had a pretty high 'fillout' rejection rate for the first couple hundred pours...probably 50%, but a new mold probably needs some breakin, as well as it's was a challenge keeping the 2 cav mold hot enough. This mold wasn't raining boolits by any means either, that wasn't helping any. They measure .226-.227 out of round, same with the nose .220-.221 and weigh right at 50.0 gr. on average. After I picked out the culls, I did some measuring of random samples, 49.8 to 50.2 Not too bad, but surely could be better, it looks like I need more practice withmy technique with this mold.

I'm sizing and lubing them now...maybe post some photos later.
Jon

AlaskanGuy
12-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Post away... Would love to see if your boolits are as funny looking as mine.... What are you gunna lube yours with jon-bob?? I am gunna just alox the first batch, and see what that does... I am not looking foreward to pan lubbing them little things...

After christmas, i get to play with the NOE 45gr itsy bitsy boolits... But the wife says the mold is a christmas present so its hands off till then... :(

AG

frkelly74
12-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I got mine washed but not heated up and tried out yet. It looks like it has a definite smaller nose than my older one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Well, the GC fit kind of loose,
but did crimp on tight using a .226 die.
That turned out to be a good thing.

Possibly the easiest way to install a
loose check onto a small boolit,
is to put it in the die, before the boolit.

I felt like taking some photos,
so here is photo essay of
what I'm talking about.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/idealempty_zps34ee8851.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/idealempty_zps34ee8851.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/idealwGC_zpsf93cf89c.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/idealwGC_zpsf93cf89c.jpg.html)

I really like the old Ideal #1 lubesizer for
these small boolits, there is more finger
room for grasping the small boolits than a 45.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/idealwunsizedbatorfingers_zps4ee193e7.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/idealwunsizedbatorfingers_zps4ee193e7.jpg.html)

I am using randyrat's Tak #1 lube
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/idealwsizedlubedbator_zps88d0b680.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/idealwsizedlubedbator_zps88d0b680.jpg.html)

does this salmon can look familiar ?
Thats alot of small boolits.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/salmoncanfullofbators_zps2e9efcb1.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/salmoncanfullofbators_zps2e9efcb1.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Batorslubedintrayscloseup_zps91757244.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Batorslubedintrayscloseup_zps91757244.jpg.html)

300+ New Bators cast and lubed this afternoon.
Also lubed this evening... 100+ more older Bators
that were cast last Feb. from an old style
Bator mold, with the fat nose. I recalled they were fater,
I measured them at .223 today...I thought they were .225 ???
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Batorslubedintrays400_zps0afaef23.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Batorslubedintrays400_zps0afaef23.jpg.html)

AlaskanGuy
12-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Wow... Good thing you diddnt use the Big salmon can.... I bet that sucker would hold over 1000.... But you might be on to something.... Maybe there is a market for sealed cans of ammo??? Bet they would store nice for a long time in one of them cans... Sell them to the preppers.... :)

By the way Jon... Did you weight sort yours???? What did you get for weights??? And what weight are you gunna start with in your trials??? Things are soo crazy with AlaskanGurls dad dieing and christmas, i cant wait for things to settle down again.... Get back to a winter time routine...

AG

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Wow... Good thing you diddnt use the Big salmon can.... I bet that sucker would hold over 1000.... But you might be on to something.... Maybe there is a market for sealed cans of ammo??? Bet they would store nice for a long time in one of them cans... Sell them to the preppers.... :)

By the way Jon... Did you weight sort yours???? What did you get for weights??? And what weight are you gunna start with in your trials??? Things are soo crazy with AlaskanGurls dad dieing and christmas, i cant wait for things to settle down again.... Get back to a winter time routine...

AG
AG,
see post 119 for weights and other specs.
I just did a sampling. I WILL weigh them all and group them into weight groups and load accordingly. Besides 22 hornet, I picked up a 222 boltgun this summer, and will start with that...along with the NOE and the HM˛, to see what fits the throat the best. I use Lilgun in Hornet, and I'll probably start with red dot for the 222

I hope the rest of the Christmas season is less eventful for you.
Jon

12-24-2013, 11:46 AM
some Goofball (me) made a video about the Bator :coffeecom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgO1zwJaTMM

AlaskanGuy
12-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Very nice .429....... Good work... I do have a couple of comments that i will pm ya about...

AG

12-27-2013, 10:34 PM
917819178291783917849178591786here is what the Bator did for me today at 50yrds. this was a ladder test so each of these 5 groups had a slightly different charge. the conditions were good and I was bench resting

AlaskanGuy
12-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Tell us about your loads sir... I promise not to tell a soul... :)

12-27-2013, 11:50 PM
LOL! they are light charges of i4198 ranging from about 1600-1900fps. when i make it out to the reloading bench tomorrow, i'll look em up and be able to give a better description

12-29-2013, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1ey2pOy7E&feature=youtu.be here's a video of me chronographing my 22 Bator load

KLR
12-29-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1ey2pOy7E&feature=youtu.be here's a video of me chronographing my 22 Bator load

Interesting. Did you chrono any of the powder coated Bators?

12-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Not yet but I will. I should add that I'm not having leading or tumbling issues with the lubed boolits

01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
what boolit seater are u guys using for the Bator? i'm using RCBS and the regular seater puts some ugly marks on the nose. i'm searching the net for a different seater with no luck

leadman
01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Call RCBS and ask if they have a different seater. I have done this several times and was always sent one that would work.

AlaskanGuy
01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
I am using the lee seating die that came with the set.... No marks at all, seats fine on both these and the smaller 45 gr from Noe.....

01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
it was gonna cost me $23 shipped for a custom one, but they would send me a standard one free for me to modify so that's what i did

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
THE BATORS ARE SOLD OUT

I wonder how long it'll take for the next batch ?

AlaskanGuy
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
I kinda wish i would have bought 2.... Prolly could have sold the other on evil bay and ended up with enough to cover my initial investment....lol

Leadmelter
01-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I made a mistake and bought 2, six cavities molds when they were available. OOPs!
Leadmelter
MI

Dancing Bear
01-10-2014, 09:28 AM
I kinda wish i would have bought 2.... Prolly could have sold the other on evil bay and ended up with enough to cover my initial investment....lol

I had the same thought but being the Christmas and tax season I decided to spend my funds on other supplies first.