PDA

View Full Version : Another to join the ranks of first.

wvmedic
11-28-2013, 01:12 AM
I just want to first say thanks to all of the folks who have shared there knowledge on the board. It has made it possible for me to get to the point of being able to hunt and harvest a deer with cast. For that I say thank you all very much.

This Doe was taken with a Ruger 77/357 at about 40 yards broad side quartering slightly away from me. I was using a Lee 358-158 SWC GC tumble lubed with 45/45/10 over 14 of 2400. Shot was a complete pass thru, with heavy impact damage at left shoulder. Exit was near 3/4 of an inch, went thru both lungs. The disappointing part was that she ran about 70 yards up hill and about 75 yards down the other side. I don't really understand that, I've seen my 30-06 not cause as much damage as the 357 mag boolit did and deer drop in there tracks.

Thanks again. Jeff

furbis
11-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Nice doe she should eat good. How do you like the 77\357 ? Any pics of it? I have no real need for one but would really like one I think it would be a fun useful rifle around the farm.

Piedmont
11-28-2013, 03:03 AM
How hard was your bullet? You can't base anything on a sample of one. Most deer shot through the lungs, even with high power rifles, run off. Usually not far but sometimes crazy things happen. That is why I like a blood trail.

richhodg66
11-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Good shot. I'd be curious as to your alloy as well. With a 3/4" exit hole, it sounds like you got good expansion.

When my oldest son first started deer hunting, he shot a year old doe with a muzzle loader using a Hornady XTP bullet that destroyed one shoulder and badly damaged a lot on the entry side too. It was the most destructive gunshot wound I've ever seen and that little deer still managed sixty yards or so into thick woods before the smoke cleared. It's suprising what they can do sometimes, she probably wasn't on her feet three seconds or so after the shot, but they can cover a lot of ground in a short time.

MBTcustom
11-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Good going!
Next time head shoot her if she's that close.

Roundnoser
11-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Congrats, and nice shot placement! How far those deer run is an unknown. I have watched them drop in their tracks, and other times, watched them run 100 yards before falling. Either way they are very tenacious with a tremendous will to live. - The only thing that really matters is YOU GOT HER! Enjoy your venison this winter!

wvmedic
11-28-2013, 10:59 AM
furbish, I like it very much.

The alloy was WW with a little tin, sorry I left that out.

I haven't skinned her yet, she is hanging in the garage to age a couple days.

Entrance wound

Exit wound

Jeff

Crawdaddy
11-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Congratulations on your first cast kill. You are no doubt hooked.

It has been my experience, as limited as it is, that all of my hits have been pass throughs. Even on the 30/30 AI I used this year with a relatively light load.

I don't check hardness so I have no clue what it is. All I know is that boolits kill. Coming from a big bore, magnum rifle fan, that is a huge admission.

wvmedic
11-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Entrance 88913

Exit 88914

357maximum
11-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Most excellent, congrats.

Deer are alot like humans or any other animal for that matter, some roll over and cry til they die when they get a sliver and others are like the Energizer Bunny/Terminator, you just never know. I have killed somewhwere north of 175 ....maybe 200 or so deer with many different tools ranging from sharp rocks on a stick to super-uber-magnums....always expect the same thing to do something different and never expect a certain result.

wvmedic
11-28-2013, 07:47 PM
I've had them run after being hit by a 30-06, but never as far as she ran and never uphill. I don't think she would have went so far had she not been going down hill on the other side. It just surprised me that she took a double lung shot and went that far.

I did have a large Doe like her go about 70 yards after I literally turned her heart to jello with my 30-06. She didn't run uphill though.

missionary5155
11-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Greetings and Congradulations !
This was an enjoyable read. Brought back numerous deer memories. None are ever the same unless you sever the spine up front. Corn Crunchers natural reaction to danger is to turn on the afterburner and keep it on. It is amazing what some can do without a pumping heart.
But whatever you did.. you get to enjoy with every bite.
Mike in Peru

wvmedic
11-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks Mike.