PDA

View Full Version : A soft greasy lube.....

Mark Daiute
11-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I got a Lyman 45 off of Ebay and inadvertently lube some boolits with the lube that came in the lubrisizer. The lube is dark grey, soft and has a greasy/oily feel to it. There's little odor to the lube. I'm wondering if it is a home made lube.

I was loading 311299's over 50 grains of 870 in Krag cases. Normally my lube would have been White Label BAC.

Any educated guesses as to whether or not the lube will be up to the job?

Thanks all,

Mark

PS: Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

williamwaco
11-27-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't like the sound of your description.

All I can say is try them and see.

If they work, Use the rest of it.

If they don't, Squish it out.

Mark Daiute
11-27-2013, 09:31 PM
I'll try the 40 rounds loaded up but I've already squished out the remaining lube.

With my luck these will be the 40 golden rounds never to be duplicated again.:-?

Thanks for responding.

bhn22
11-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Does it stain your fingers slightly? IT could be Lyman Super Moly.

Mark Daiute
11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Does it stain your fingers slightly? IT could be Lyman Super Moly.

very slightly.....

geargnasher
11-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Greasy feel = poor accuracy in most of my testing. Your mileage may vary.

Gear

Mark Daiute
11-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Gear, Whadya think? Kind of a wasted experiment with the 870 but I don't mind shooting off the 40 rounds. How bout leading, should that be a concern?

geargnasher
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
If it does lead don't blame the lube. It's more a question of accuracy that only your rifle can answer for certain.

I found out that without exception all my rifles need a lube that has a bit of friction to it. Film strength and "smearability" is what you want, not necessarily slick. Slick, greasy lubes make it difficult to maintain consistent barrel time and pressure/time curves and thus the boolits exit at a different point in the vibrating path of the muzzle and as a result impact the target in different places.

Gear

Mark Daiute
11-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks, Gear.

I'll just have to see what happens without expecting much at 200 yards.

geargnasher
11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
You'll be fine. Have fun!

Gear

smokesahoy
12-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Might be bearing grease?

44man
12-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Could be the old LBT magnum lube. Color sounds right. Works good in my 30-30. Ben's Red worked better. Been doing lube tests and keep finding soft lubes are better then hard and have gone over 2400 fps without accuracy loss or leading.
I would use the lube and see what you get.
Gear is right but it is hard to tell by "feel." The gun will tell you.
As I test it is amazing the wide variations in group size and POI.
Same in the revolver, change lube and groups can double in size.
Gear knows his stuff for sure and I also add what a patch and ball does in a ML, barrel shot smooth or a chrome plated bore will never shoot right, friction loss is bad. Same as a slippery lube with cast. In the revolver it breaks case tension too soon. In truth a very hard lube in the revolver is also bad.

fryboy
12-21-2013, 12:43 PM
i'm seconding the lyman moly lube , altho for me it does have it's own distinct aroma albeit perhaps a slight one ( all of our sniffers are as individualistic as we are for a disclaimer/qualifier lolz ) it does have a slightly slick feel that i equate more as a soapy feel , it tends to leave grey on about everything it touches ( altho moly colors do vary slightly ) it also needs no heat and if one doesnt mind the mess it's actually a fairly decent store bought lube and should work fine in what you loaded with it - of note unlike may lubes it does not make a decent flux ( it'll work but ....)

geargnasher
12-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Will we ever know?

Gear

fryboy
12-21-2013, 02:46 PM
nah as after those 40 or so boolits it'll be history :P