PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where I should ask this, but- should I be sizing larger for my revolver?

JuliettDeltaGolf
11-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok, guys...
I've got a Uberti Colt open-topped 1860 Army Richards-Mason 1871-72 Conversion revolver, in .45 Colt, with a 5-1/2" barrel. It is my daily carry gun around the farm, and I want it to be reliably accurate (as accurate as I can make it IOW). I am still working on my shooting skills (I stink!), and I still need to complete a few tuning operations to make this gun easier to shoot, such as lightening the mainspring/trigger pull. Since I reload, I also want to load the most accurate loads I can. I use exculsively BP. Anyhow, here's my situation, and I want y'all's thoughts: The bore slugs at .451". I've been using pure lead in my mold, and it's been throwing boolits that are .452-.453. Perfect, I think. So I kiss 'em in a .452 sizer, to uniform them and make 'em easier to seat.

So. I've been reading a little on this forum, and I've read a little about it being more important to size to the chamber throats (as long as they're properly oversized) than the bore, and so here's the deal: again, my bore slugs at .451, but the chambers are all a uniform .458. Is this cause for concern? And, what would would y'all's thoughts on putting together a load be? That's a big discrepancy. Do I need to consider a new cylinder?

Nobade
11-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Well, undoubtedly those bullets are going to bump up to the size of the cylinder before they get to the barrel, then get sized back down to go through the bore. So the questions are, does the gun stay tight? Or do you have to keep driving the wedge in further? What does the forcing cone look like? Is it nice and gentle or abrupt and sharp? And finally how accurate is it off a rest?

If it is holding up OK, and is decently accurate, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it doesn't shoot very well I might be tempted to find out how big a bullet a fired case will accept and load it with some that size. If it is getting loose over time, I would look into somehow getting my hands on a cylinder with tighter throats and cutting a good forcing cone in the back of the barrel to ease the passage of that bullet.

Those open top revolvers aren't terribly strong to start with and full 45 Colt loads rally stress them more than they need even with everything being sized properly. But modern steel likely makes it possible, so hopefully it will hold up OK for you.

-Nobade

JuliettDeltaGolf
11-27-2013, 09:34 PM
The gun's not loosening, yet. I need to check the forcing cone. I'm going to do some necessary mods to it to help it stay tight, too. If you like or are curious about modern open-topped revolvers, check these articles out:

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7988

williamwaco
11-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Jordan,

Perhaps an unwanted opinion:

You need to load that replica for fun and safety and you seem to be doing that.

If you want to load for accuracy, get yourself a Smith and Wesson or Ruger revolver.
I have also seen some Uberti "Colt Single Action Army" models at the range and they seem to be quite accurate.

Don't mess with that trigger until you can hit a 9" paper plate EVERY SHOT at 25 yards.

JuliettDeltaGolf
11-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey, ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with an open-top Colt!!! No offense, but can't stand to hear some of my favorite guns downed... I love the looks, balance, and pointability of the old percussion Colt army, and don't ever underrate the potential for accuracy of an open-topped Colt. Yes, I realize they simply are not a solid-framed gun, and as such, have some special limitations, and require special considerations. BUT! They are still superb guns. There's reasons why Colt's produced MILLIONS of their percussion revolvers. I have owned over 60 (sixty) percussion revolvers, and more of them were Colts than not. About every one of them that was in any kind of shape shot very well, and with a little work, an open-top can be made into a fine shootin' iron.

I simply want to maximize the accuracy potential of every gun I shoot. I want some suggestions on how to maximize the potential of this particular arm, as it is the one that I have chosen to keep and shoot for now.

As for the trigger, I want a lighter pull. Don't know what the pull is now, but again, I've shot a lot of revolvers, and the trigger on this one is terrible. I can still hit a paper plate every time at 25 yards...

montana_charlie
11-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Don't know where I should ask this, but
Judging from all of your posts to date, you are going to want to know where this section is ...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?16-Muzzleloading

CM

bigted
11-28-2013, 05:22 PM
45 colt is a blackpowder cartridge and so you are in the rite place ...however like charlie states and his link ... the fella's there will give more info on the "doing" with your revolver.

your cylinder is of a .458 inch diameter at the mouth is a bit large from my experiences. however the thing is is that IF your forcing cone is nice and gradual ... AND if the beginning of the cone is a small bit larger then the diameter of the fired case mouth ... AND everything else is smooth and sound ... you should be able to make it tick.

i have several opentop revolvers including a 36 colt and i do know that they can be very accurate ...[at least in my shakey hands]... i have a uberti '60' colt that has a shoulder stock and believe me when i tell that this setup does 1 inch groups at 35 yds all the time. the innerds of these are very simple and i have found that if i debure the whole thing inside and remove the hammer and stone the sear very carefully ... that this is all that is needed for a very nice action and shooter.

this and shooting some reduced bp loads in that cavernous 45 colt case will net a revolver that will not get beat up and will service for years to come. you didnt say what your "every day carry" was intended for. maybe the intended use will net more info for you.

welcome to the forum and enjoy all the reply's ... even the ones that seem to rub a little harshly ... these fella's can and will point you in a correct direction. pull your feelers in a bit and take it like it comes and im bettin you will net the info you desire. no offense intended. :drinks: