PDA

View Full Version : 9mm success

docmagnum357
11-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks, guys. I have finally worked u a load that does not lead for 9mm. I have never been all that fond of the 9mm so I have usually gravitated to my 1911 and revolvers. I started shooting USPSA and consequently I needed to use something I already had that would work well. That came down to a Cz75b and a Glock 17 gen 4 I bought to use in LE training. I Kind of like the Cz and I have to grudgingly admit a growing fondness for the GLOCK. After I put in a Ghost trigger, as tungsten guide rod, aftermarket sights, extended takedown catch......now that I think about it I guess it really isn't a GLOCK anymore....

Anyhow, I followed the tips I got here and I am loving the 9mm now. 120 Grain Lee Truncated Cone bullets, 231 powder, and Federal Primers. I have a load that cycles, is pretty accurate, hits pretty hard for a 9mm and doesn't lead either pistol. I found that the Factory crimp die was the culprit. I think I could also use an oversize expander plug and I may go to one when I get my Lyman Devastator mold but I am happy for now. Just one simple thing( no factory crimp) has really opened the door for me and the 9mm. If I can tweak things enough to get some good groups at 50 yards I may just retire my K 38 as a rabbit and squirrel gun and carry the Cz 75 in the woods.

Just wanted to say thanks
S.F.

harley45
11-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Have you thought about the MP 9mm 125Gr? I have it and the Lyman you mentioned and I like the MP better due to it being a 4 cavity. Just a thought

williamwaco
11-27-2013, 09:51 PM
What Lube are you using?

saphelps
11-27-2013, 11:09 PM
I have the same mold and cast a few to give a go. No 231 to be found so going to prob go with what remaining 3N37 I have left. Have TG, PP, #2, WSF as well, but really like the Vhita. CCI Primers.

What OAL you find works for you. Dummy round here comes out to 1.055 once I get above top TL ring. Gonna start at min powder and work up to .4 Gr in 20 round batches.

kens
11-27-2013, 11:39 PM
I have the LEE 9mm mold, over 5gr green dot. shoots good thru a Hi-Power. that is my avatar