PDA

View Full Version : Annual Treat

ultramag
11-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Not really a recipe per se, but more of an admission of my annual fresh venison lunch on the first day home from deer camp. I always trim and cut up the hearts of my deer harvest for lunch the first day after deer season each year. Not the healthiest lunch, but hey, it's once a year.

After cutting it up in bite size pieces it's a little soak in milk, pass one through the seasoned flour, then a roll around in egg yolk, then back through the seasoned flour a second time. Into hot grease in a cast iron skillet and pan fried. It's just like venison flavored gizzards, only better and more tender.

This years lunch:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a529/ultramag74/B2D2DF37-A7E6-4FF6-A35E-A5ADD9614753_zpse3inlwwg.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/ultramag74/media/B2D2DF37-A7E6-4FF6-A35E-A5ADD9614753_zpse3inlwwg.jpg.html)

Anyone bring their hearts in from the field? If so, what do you do with them?

dale2242
11-28-2013, 11:13 AM
You are making my mouth water. Yummy....dale

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not much of a Deer hunter, I have hunted several seasons throughout my adult life and a couple seasons as a teenager with my Dad...and never shot a deer. One of the last attempts to deer hunt was with a group of friends in 1999. They hunted like Hollywood protrays a vietnam war battle, one hunt with them was enough for me.

Anyway, that group always gets deer...and their tradition is to take the heart home and cook it the night of the kill. They just boil it and slice it up for sandwiches to share for the next day of the hunt...or during the butchering if the hunt is over.

Your recipe sounds way better :)

MT Gianni
11-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I split mine with my shot and left it lay. I remove the fat and slice it then bake with sage dressing.

Changeling
12-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I have just GOT to try that! I fry in olive oil, healthy, and I actually like the taste better.

I usually just boil them, slice thin, eat, or make sandwitches.

Thanks ultramag.