PDA

View Full Version : 22 sport king jamming

atr
11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
My semi-auto sport king 22 jams after a couple dozen rounds. the receiver where the bolt slide back and forth tends to foul which impeds the movement of the bolt thus causing the jamming.....I am looking for suggestions on how to eliminate or at least mitigate this tendency to foul....
I have polished the bolt itself, but the receiver its self seem to be the "sticking" point. I am considering polishing this out as well...
any other suggestions.....
thanks
atr
ps...buying a new 22 is NOT an option

Suo Gan
11-27-2013, 05:29 PM
I have one, and I have put at least five thousand through it without cleaning. Just throw it in the bag until next time. I had a duramatic one time that would bind up occasionally. As I remember it just needed a good cleaning.

Ruger MKII is just a durable, just as accurate, though it does not fit my hand like a Hi Standard.

Hope you figure it out.

Jeff Michel
11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Tear it down, scrub it with mineral spirits and an old toothbrush, blow it dry with compressed air. Do not oil it, the mineral spirits will provide sufficient lubrication. If that doesn't do the trick, it's probably your mag. My money will be on it needs a bath.

daniel lawecki
11-28-2013, 01:59 PM
I haven't had that problem with my Sport King ever I keep it clean use Rem-Oil and only plink with Federal Ammo. Bought mine new in the 80s for $225.00

30calflash
11-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Tear it down, scrub it with mineral spirits and an old toothbrush, blow it dry with compressed air. Do not oil it, the mineral spirits will provide sufficient lubrication. If that doesn't do the trick, it's probably your mag. My money will be on it needs a bath.

DON'T LEAVE IT WITH JUST MINERAL SPIRITS FOR RUST PROTECTION! Especially with compressed air as it could be laden with moisture. Did it once, never again! Light oil or whatever you use, just a light coat to preserve.

The problem you mention is not a typical HS pistol jam. Clean it as best you can and see if a light oil, like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil, on the rails helps. If it binds I have heard that there were some HS pistols that could develope a crack in the frame, can't recall where but on or across the rail/slide area. This could be the issue, hope not though.

atr
11-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I did in fact tear it down completely and cleaned it well,,,especially the recieiver,,,,,but after 15 rounds the receiver got sticky again...I did oil it and perhaps the oil picked up too much residue....when it if functioning it feeds well and is accurate....
I was also using older lead-nose 22 ammo and I wonder if that may be a contributing factor....

Grendl
11-28-2013, 03:23 PM
What vintage is this pistol, newer or older?
If an older version with an inserted ejector, the ejector might be loose and causing binding, it would help if you better described the "jam" as it might lead to a real solution. There are endless possibilities as to the cause, as well as endless solutions....
Rick

atr
11-28-2013, 03:39 PM
its a rifle....tube fed ...22 LR, L, and short......direct blow-back operation
no the breech block (bolt) is not loose,,,not binding....its residue build up in the reciever causing the breech block to stick
Tomorrow I am going to tear it down again ,,,clean it again,,,then feed it some very new ammo...I will report back
I do like the rifle ,,,it is very accurate...but semi-autos that jam are not fun...

11-29...
I took it apart again the morning and found unburnt powder in the reciever and on the bolt so I strongly suspect that the old 22 ammunition has something to do with the jam. Tomorrow I will take it over to the range and run some fresh ammo through it ....I let you know how that works
atr

11-30...
got out to the range for an hour and ran alot of 22 LR and Shorts through the action....NO problems....I think it was the old ammo clogging the works....all is well
atr

Speedo66
12-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Stop shooting Remingtons. ;>)

Forrest r
12-03-2013, 08:59 AM
The recoil spring is old & probably weak also. That will allow the bolt to open/operate prematurely adding to the crud/un-burnt powder that builds up in the receiver.

Never did like a blow back semi-auto that was designed to be able to shoot anything from soft shooting shorts/longs (710fps) to hv ammo (1260fps). Know matter what you did the bolt always opened way to fast on the hv ammo due to the rifle also had to operate with ammo with far less pressure/recoil also.

The 10/22's have the same problem but on a smaller scale. Allot of them would function with hv (1260fps) ammo but wouldn't cycle with match ammo (1050fps). The solution was to get/use a variable power spring.

Jeff Michel
12-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Mineral spirits is the primary ingredient in Hoppe's No.9, the rest is banana oil to make it smell nice. As a petroleum product, it is oil based and not just a solvent. Air, regardless should be filtered at the point of use due to the moisture present. The single biggest reason for feeding problems in .22s that I have encountered in thirty years of gun repairs, is people over oiling them. 22s are dirty, nasty things in the first place. Heel bullets are outside lubed, and excessive oil and unburnt powder and you have a fair substitute for valve grinding compound. If you must oil, use something light, not 3-1, that stuff is ****. And again, blow out the excess oil with air. Just my opinion as to what works for me, to each his own.

DON'T LEAVE IT WITH JUST MINERAL SPIRITS FOR RUST PROTECTION! Especially with compressed air as it could be laden with moisture. Did it once, never again! Light oil or whatever you use, just a light coat to preserve.

The problem you mention is not a typical HS pistol jam. Clean it as best you can and see if a light oil, like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil, on the rails helps. If it binds I have heard that there were some HS pistols that could develope a crack in the frame, can't recall where but on or across the rail/slide area. This could be the issue, hope not though.

atr
12-12-2013, 08:33 PM
again no problems....firing 22 short and LR....no jams or hiccups...very accurate even with the shorts...I think the old ammo was not burning clean and it was fouling the action.

EDG
12-14-2013, 10:08 PM
There is a return spring in the slide with a slug to return the slide. If the slide gets a lot of crud blown up into the spring bore the slug will not move freely. Clean that bore out. The unplated bullets will drag more when feeding into the chamber. I have 2 brothers and we shot thousands and thousands of rounds through my Sport King. We eventually burned a dark spot in the bottom of the bore in front of the chamber. But the gun all ways worked.