PDA

View Full Version : Seeking information on models

thos
11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Anyone here know a good source of general information on the various 45-70 lever guns? I was hoping for a sticky that would do.

I'm looking for the basics in considering which one to buy. I don't even have the relationship between the Browning and Winchester 1886 models straight. Are they both the same rifle?

It also seems that Browning (Wincehster?) made the 1886 without the tang safety at first. I've seen guns advertised which *seem to claim to be such.

I've seen newer models of the Winchester lately at gun shows that seem to be marked both Browning and Winchester. Am I confused? I guess.

Obviously what I need is a good article on the history of the modern production of lever guns including the Winchester 1886.

I'm not a collector, I'm looking for something to pump cast bullets through.

I'm also looking at the Marlin and would consider other makes of lever guns, but I do like quality and If I'm going to shoot it, I'll need parts down the road.

I also would like to now about the strength of the Browning magazine fed guns. I know a few were made in 45-70. I'm not interested in the 450 MAR.

I'll bet some of you have some good references you could point me to, I'd read anything I could get my hands on.

Thank you.

Iowa Fox
11-27-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't have a real good history for you but about almost 4 years ago I went through the same search as you. Miroku of Japan made both the Winchester and Browning 1886 models. I found a early like new Miroku 1886 Winchester on consignment at one of our local gun stores for $900. It did not have a safety on it so the early ones didn't have the safety but I don't know what production year they added it. I looked it over pretty good and came very close to buying it but didn't as I wanted to think it over a little, $900 is a lot for a retired guy to spend. Then I found a new but no box 1895 Marlin Cowboy in another gun store for $450. After really looking it over good I liked it better than the Miroku Winchester so I bought it. Since then the 1895 Cowboy prices have really shot up as Marlin is gone and they are no longer being manufactured. In retrospect I'm glad I went with the Marlin instead of the Winchester. The Marlin just fit and handled so much better with its 26" octagon barrel than the Winchester. I just wanted a nice lever gun to shoot my light cast bullet reloads.

ammohead
11-27-2013, 02:17 PM
You probably already know this but....Early history, the 1886 Winchester lever rifle was designed by John Moses Browning for Winchester. That fact and Winchester and Browning both owned by the same company allows for manufacture of the same rifle from two different makers. Barrel length, stock finish, and other features such as safety location may vary, but it is the same rifle.

EDK
11-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Get a copy of Mike Venturino's SHOOTING LEVER ACTION RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST. Good read and lots of history and data. I shoot..not often enough...a MARLIN 1895 Cowboy..had one of the early 1895s in 1973. The 1895 and my 44 magnum 1894 COWBOYS are the last rifles I'll part with.
Get a JM marked MARLIN and enjoy.

pietro
11-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Although Miroku made 1886/86 rifles for both Browning & Winchester ( and stamped appropriately), they were made to different specs.

The earlier "Browning" Miroku 1886/86 "Rifle" & "Carbine" model's were made w/o a lawyer safety; the later "Winchester" Miroku's are made with a tang safety - the "Winchester's" were/are also made in several different models that weren't made as "Browning's", like the Extra Light (EL) Model.

The 1886/86 design, beit a gennie or a clone, is stronger than the Marlin design - but requires cartridges loaded to a slightly shorter OAL than the Marlin. Both feed factory ammo just fine/equally.

The Miroku's exhibit a much better fit/finish than either the Marlins or gennie Winchesters, excepting Winchester Custom Shop examples.

The 1886/86 design is hard to scope, not so the side-eject Marlins - pay your money & take your choice. Both are easy to mount a receiver peep and/or tang peep sight on.

osteodoc08
11-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Basically outlined above. What are your intended end uses? If your gonna scope it, Marlin is the way to go. If you want a plinker and range fun gun or not scoped, the Winchester is awesome. I'd prefer the earlier Miroku guns if wanting an 1886 if the original is too pricey.

There's always the sharps and others as well to consider if not specifically looking for a lever.

bearbud
12-01-2013, 09:32 PM
All is good information. Another good read is “The Legacy of Lever Guns” It is a special edition of Rifle magazine from winter 2000. I think that it is still available. It will mostly give you a good history of the original models and their cartridges, but it will also tell you some about the newly (1980-90 vintage) manufactured ones. bearbud