PDA

View Full Version : l started this loadmaster thread

gunoil
11-27-2013, 08:51 AM
http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19768#19768

I recieved all these mods plus others not shown. Very cheap, l thought a real value.
mikesreloadingbench.com

Little bit of sweat equity paid off huge on my lee loadmaster, you want be able to get the smile off your face, a lil' patience, gather your parts, recieve some in mail and reap the benifits of your lee loadmaster.

seaboltm
11-27-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a Lee Loadmaster and I love it. I read all the pros and cons before jumping in. You do have to tinker with it a bit, but its not bad. I have the auto case feed but only used it once or twice. The case feed sometimes fouls up. I spent more time undoing the fouls than merely putting cases on by hand. The priming system is picky to say the least but it works about 95% of the time. My advice is not to bother with the case feed or the bullet feed as they will frustrate you to no end. Yes, they are fast when they work, but they will jam, and all the time you gained with those additions are lost in clearing the jams. For rifles I usually tumble, deprime on station 4, then I hand prime using an RCBS. I then remove the sizing die and put in the others into stations 3,4,and 5. Very fast.

hpdrifter
11-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a title to an old, old BeeGees song; "I started a joke".

Nah, in all honesty, I can say that any problems I've had on my Loadmaster have been self induced. You do have to pay real close attention to what's going on and the setup.

Be positive in your strokes. No short strokes.....at least until you fully grasp what is going on.

I have only smashed one primer feeder in 3 years. That was because I didn't load anything for a couple of months and came back, sat down and started pulling lever without really refreshing my memory.

Unlike a truly beautiful woman, it is high maintenance. If not for the machine, for the operator.

Now all of this is with a caveat; I don't reload thousands and thousands of rounds with it. I load enough to keep my two 45s, a 357 mag or two, a 9mm, and a 45 colt fed enough for casual plinking. In 3 years I've only loaded 2 maybe pushing 3 thousand rounds. I haven't really kept count.

Maybe for someone into the shooting sports, problems may occur. I wouldn't know.

I was gonna investigate and think about mikes improvements, but right now mine runs like a Swiss watch.................well, ok, a decent Timex.

gunoil
11-27-2013, 03:45 PM
u should investigate anyway rick, nothing wrong with making something good, great! We all start with a loadmaster, but with mm's stuff its another world. I dont load alot either. I can see why people cant or dont want projects. l can understand why, when u just bought something its suppose to work out of the box. Well, the usa we live in nowdays sometimes that is just not always true. Shame you dont live near so you could set down and run it for yourself.

hpdrifter
11-27-2013, 06:20 PM
right now I've been buying some OTHER reloading stuff; primers, brass, and bullets. Been getting kinda low and the supply is now getting so I can replenish(sp). Also bought a new pistol. When funds become more plentiful, I may check on the upgrades. Maybe after the first of the year.

I can certainly understand wanting to make the LM run mo gooder. It just hasn't been one of my needs. but, there was one night, about 3 weeks ago, that I was ready to give the darn thing away. I THOUGHT I had checked all of my 45acp brass real good. About everyother primer was getting smashed to bits and not getting seated. I think you might figure out "the rest of the story". Unfortunately, it took me the better part of an hour to get it all straightened out. Not counting the 20 or so primerless rounds.

Please, reloaders, check your .45 acp brass

zomby woof
11-28-2013, 11:11 AM
I have two LM set up. I have one for small primer and one for large. I have several "internet" mods and a couple of Mike's improvements. They run and run and run. Pistol and 30 Carbine run great with the case feeder. For larger rifle I feed by hand.

longshot1154
11-28-2013, 02:10 PM
I've had my loadmaster for almost 20 years now and it has functioned fine for me. Yes, I did have to purchase several of the old primer sliders back in the day and then I just purchased the new primer units as well as several of the small parts that have been known to be issues. Have to tweak it every now and then, but when I take my time, it works great. After seeing your posts for mikesreloadingbench, I really want to send the parts out to him and have him do the conversions just to make it that much better for me. I worked for an indoor shooting range when I purchased it and I got it for $120.00 at that time. I would buy another one if this one ever crapped out. Mike will be getting my business after the holiday season is over.

jmort
11-28-2013, 02:14 PM
If you are willing to tinker a bit, the Lee Precision progressives are a great deal. Many happy users. That is a good link, and Mike said it best:

"I would like to say at the outset that it is a fact that some of us are more mechanically inclined than others and that I do believe that the more mechanically inclined you are the better your chances are of getting along with Mr. Lee's flagship press."

gunoil
11-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Somebody say: Rock Solid?

yea l think mike and all of us wonder if mechanical ability is there. Well no, maybe not for everyone. But with some patience, lam thinkin magic mike is making it so you can and it will be simple to get it indexed right and then your on your way.

This is my favorite mod from magic mike, not counting the prime mod:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps1a167501.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps43e8c1b7.jpg

ABOVE IS WHERE I DRILLED MY HOLES, then mark aluminum plate (below) drill it & bolt on.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zpsd267eb83.jpg

Then i bought this on ebay for $26.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280598776136?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then you end up with this adjustable floor mount called: "shake brake".

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/7BFD2FEC-BE34-4B32-AF3D-0F1BBC4FE183-13419-00001125D0792EE3_zps72b107e7.jpg