PDA

View Full Version : Lyman T-Mag Press question

6bg6ga
11-27-2013, 07:26 AM

Several years ago I purchased a used T-Mag off ebay that was probably manufactured in 1980 or before. It differs from the T-Mag II that is currently being sold today. It has a slotted bolt down thru the center of the turret to hold it down but the bolt doesn't unscrew. I don't know if it was meant to unscrew or if it is fixed. The picture above shows the collar and hold down bolt in the center of the turret.

This picture shows that I removed the collar and set it on top of a die. Looking at the center hold down you can see the split collar. You remove the two pieces of the collar in order to remove the turret plate.

Now, the newer T-Mag II presses have a shoulder bolt that simply unscrews in order to remove the turret. The older press that I own it would seem that you cannot remove the center bolt or the center bolt is possibly stuck and or someone used some loctite on it.

6bg6ga
11-27-2013, 07:32 AM
This is not a major concern since this press only does small reloading runs or processes what I need to correct after setting up the Dillon XL650. I am curious however so if you own an OLDER Lyman T-Mag that is setup like this one or have owned one in the past I would appreciate hearing from you.

jmorris
11-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Yours is just like mine?

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/DSC02414.jpg

44Vaquero
11-27-2013, 11:09 AM
6b, it is merely a reflection refined product manufacturing, nothing to be concerned about. Less parts, less machine work or simpler parts design all equal less expense.

6bg6ga
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Yours is just like mine?

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/DSC02414.jpg

Just like yours.

6bg6ga
11-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Is the bolt supposed to unscrew? I see that it is slotted for a screwdriver.

I don't know if I would purchase one new at todays price but at $85 shipped I felt I made a good buy. They are a hefty smooth working machine in my opinion.

jmorris
11-27-2013, 01:16 PM
I have never messed with the bolt, I would imagine it is threaded but I don't think it is intended to unscrew. If it moved while you rotated the dies into position it would mess up the adjustments for all of them.

IIRC they run around $250 new, mine was free.

2wheelDuke
11-27-2013, 05:00 PM
I learned to reload on a press just like that, my dad is still using them. The center bolt isn't meant to be unscrewed. You just lift off that collar and separate the two halves to swap turrets.

6bg6ga
11-28-2013, 08:41 AM
This sound crazy but I just want to know if it unscrews because there is a slot in the bolt head and I don't see a part line. It looks like its one piece. Yes, I realize if the bolt moves there go my settings. Still, I just want to know if its removable.

6bg6ga
11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
They are a nice machine somewhat nicer in my opinion than a RCBS large format machine. I like the turret's capability to hold 6 dies. I currently have 38 and 357 in the turret getting ready to load some for the wifes new S&W 686-6. Yes, I know that I could make/buy a spacer and be able to use the same dies to load both 38 and 357. Moved a few years ago and couldn't find the 38 dies so I purchased a set of used off ebay and a month after I got them the original die set showed up. The same thing happened with my powder scale. I bought a second new one and now have it sitting in the box unused. its great to get older.

jmorris
11-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Still, I just want to know if its removable.Anything is removable. Even if it were part of the original casting and it isn't, it could be removed.

Spector
11-28-2013, 10:56 PM
I bought one of the older Lyman T-mag presses new as you describe. It had the quick-change split hold on device with the collar that slipped over it. Still have what is left of that press. I sold off the two Turrets I had for it.

Mine had no adjustable support for the turret on the back of the press. My bolt snapped off at the casting. I only loaded the 45 ACP and 35 REM at the time. I managed to extract the broken off threaded portion and ordered a new part from Lyman. They kept sending me the wrong part. The threaded portion of the new bolt they kept sending me was larger in diameter. After the 2nd time they sent me the wrong part I sent them my old broken part only to have them tell me they no longer make that part and had none in stock. Their only advice to me was to have a machinist make me a new one. They returned my broken part. I gave it to a machinist and he made me a new one and heat treated it. It too broke.

A very poor design in my opinion and their newer designs proved that as they increased the threaded diameter of the bolt to make it stronger and added the adjustable turret support in back of the press.

I've always felt like Lyman customer service left me out in the cold since I had not owned the press over 2 years if memory serves me right. I tried to remove the threaded section again, but was unsuccessful getting it out as I used Lock-tite when I installed it. I Thought about having it drilled out and re-threaded to a larger diameter, but it would still lack the adjustable turret support. This happened back in the early 90's. I make it a point not to buy Lyman equipment now. I've used Lee turret presses since then and have enjoyed fully supported turrets with no further breakage.

I think my old Lyman T-Mag ram and linkage might fit and old Lyman Orange Crusher press frame. I think that should make a pretty solid press with out the design flaws of the old T-Mag press.

Good luck with you new press. But if it does not have the adjustable turret support then don't be fooled by the seemingly heavy duty cast iron construction as the turret will put a lot of stress on that bolt......Mike

PS.......maybe you could drill the rib on the back of the press and cobble together an adjustable turret support and fasten it to that rib of cast iron.

jmorris
11-28-2013, 11:16 PM
I tried to remove the threaded section again, but was unsuccessful getting it out as I used Lock-tite when I installed it.

If you weld a nut to the portion of bolt remaining in the casting it not only heats up the lock-tite but also gives you something to wrench on. I have had success with this, using a TIG welder down to #4 setscrews.

I guess if mine ever gives up I'll have them send me the new part and just drill and tap the machine for the heavy duty part the use now.

6bg6ga
11-29-2013, 07:31 AM
I bought one of the older Lyman T-mag presses new as you describe. It had the quick-change split hold on device with the collar that slipped over it. Still have what is left of that press. I sold off the two Turrets I had for it.

Mine had no adjustable support for the turret on the back of the press. My bolt snapped off at the casting. I only loaded the 45 ACP and 35 REM at the time. I managed to extract the broken off threaded portion and ordered a new part from Lyman. They kept sending me the wrong part. The threaded portion of the new bolt they kept sending me was larger in diameter. After the 2nd time they sent me the wrong part I sent them my old broken part only to have them tell me they no longer make that part and had none in stock. Their only advice to me was to have a machinist make me a new one. They returned my broken part. I gave it to a machinist and he made me a new one and heat treated it. It too broke.

A very poor design in my opinion and their newer designs proved that as they increased the threaded diameter of the bolt to make it stronger and added the adjustable turret support in back of the press.

I've always felt like Lyman customer service left me out in the cold since I had not owned the press over 2 years if memory serves me right. I tried to remove the threaded section again, but was unsuccessful getting it out as I used Lock-tite when I installed it. I Thought about having it drilled out and re-threaded to a larger diameter, but it would still lack the adjustable turret support. This happened back in the early 90's. I make it a point not to buy Lyman equipment now. I've used Lee turret presses since then and have enjoyed fully supported turrets with no further breakage.

I think my old Lyman T-Mag ram and linkage might fit and old Lyman Orange Crusher press frame. I think that should make a pretty solid press with out the design flaws of the old T-Mag press.

Good luck with you new press. But if it does not have the adjustable turret support then don't be fooled by the seemingly heavy duty cast iron construction as the turret will put a lot of stress on that bolt......Mike

PS.......maybe you could drill the rib on the back of the press and cobble together an adjustable turret support and fasten it to that rib of cast iron.
You stated that you broke the center turret bolt and that no adjustable support was built into the press. I measured the clearance between the support arm and the turret and got .006 with my feeler gauge. There simply shouldn't be any distortion or maybe I should say the distortion under extreme conditions should not even cause the turret to touch the support in my opinion. If one wanted they could simply drill/step drill the support arm and install an adjustment to make the clearance even less than .006

It would appear that my press was well used before I purchased it and that the center bolt breaking hasn't been a problem rather an issolated incident. As for the new models having an adjustment I cannot comment on that because I cannot see anything inthe picture.
The new press/newer model has a handle in which to turn the turret which is nice.

For a used press its ok...... I still like the turret idea because I can put two calibers into it. If nothing else it works as storage.

hd09
11-29-2013, 07:59 AM
I did not know they even had a collar that fit over the split collar. Got mine a few years ago and it did not have that piece. It has been fine with out it, the split collar stays in place. I do put a shim between the post and turret to take up any slack. I also cut some brass shim and put it between the turret and split collar, about .008 thds. That helped alot, I think mine was well used.

6bg6ga
11-29-2013, 08:11 AM
The press I started this thread about is the older T-Mag without the additional handle on the turret. I think there is only the older version with the collar that comes off (pulls off) and the newer version that has a larger center bolt that unscrews. I could be mistaken with this.

My pictures show the turret press with the large collar showing and the press ready to be used. My second picture shows that I pulled off the large collar and you can see the two piece collar under that.

jmorris's picture shows both collars removed and the center bolt exposed. So, if yours looks like this you have the older press and if not you have the newer version. At any rate in my opinion they are still a heck of a press for the money.

6bg6ga
11-29-2013, 08:15 AM
I did not know they even had a collar that fit over the split collar. Got mine a few years ago and it did not have that piece. It has been fine with out it, the split collar stays in place. I do put a shim between the post and turret to take up any slack. I also cut some brass shim and put it between the turret and split collar, about .008 thds. That helped alot, I think mine was well used.

Your information tells me there isn't much movement if the press stays together without the large collar over the split collar.

I have been thinking after reading the comments about bolt breakage and measuring mine for clearance. I believe a shim is in order for my press also. A shim keeping in mind there needs to be a slight clearance to turn the turret or simply remove the shim before turning the turrent and then re-installing it. At any rate I think this is a good informative thread.

jmorris
11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
You stated that you broke the center turret bolt and that no adjustable support was built into the press. I measured the clearance between the support arm and the turret and got .006 with my feeler gauge. There simply shouldn't be any distortion or maybe I should say the distortion under extreme conditions should not even cause the turret to touch the support in my opinion. If one wanted they could simply drill/step drill the support arm and install an adjustment to make the clearance even less than .006

Now you have me wondering if I have all of the parts for mine. What is this support arm you are talking about and how does it mount? I never did get a manual for the press so I don't even know what the slots/setscrews on the side of the turret are for.

I have loaded up to 300 mag with it and haven't broke it yet...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/DSC02166.jpg

44Vaquero
11-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Jmorris,

The Slots/set screws are for holding a primer feed tube attachment.

Spector
11-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I have thought about having a nut welded to the remaining threaded stub that is still in the press casting. I have a cousin who TIG welds at work. I may ask him to do it for me.

Actually I purchased a cheap Lee 3 hole turret press just to get me by until I could get my T-Mag press fixed. As light weight as it was the Lee impressed me with it's design. I then moved on to a Lee 4 hole press when they became available and then on to the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. This latest Lee press does what I mistakenly expected the Lyman T-Mag press to do for me.

Never really had a reason to pursue fixing the T-Mag after that other than I hate to see equipment go to waste. Last year I thought about converting it into a single stage press dedicated to making PB gas checks. But then I remembered I have an old Herters Super #3 that I could use for that purpose. So for now it just sits collecting dust. I don't own a boat or I'd have a use for it.

I got my T-Mag press in a kit that included a Lyman scale from a large Gun shop in my area. It was sold to me as new and the box and all items looked new with no signs of use. I assume it was just new old stock. I was really surprised that in less that 2 1/2 years that the press would have been discontinued and no turret bolt available for it.

Lyman did say I could return the press to them at my expense with no guarantee that they would make any allowance toward a new press. Since I already knew they increased the diameter of the bolt and added an adjustable turret support on the next model of T-Mag press I felt like they already recognized the weakness in their original design. The whole experience just left me with a bad feeling toward Lyman. It was almost as though they simply wanted to deny they ever made the model I had and then shifted gears to an attitude that it was an ancient design so how could I expect they'd stock parts for it. I realized the score when they said the only way I could get the part I needed would be to have a machinist make it for me.

Glad you all like the ones you have. Maybe I'm just hard on presses, but then they would not have increased the size of the bolt and added a much improved turret support if it was only me and not a weakness in their press design...........Mike

6bg6ga
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I have thought about having a nut welded to the remaining threaded stub that is still in the press casting. I have a cousin who TIG welds at work. I may ask him to do it for me.

Actually I purchased a cheap Lee 3 hole turret press just to get me by until I could get my T-Mag press fixed. As light weight as it was the Lee impressed me with it's design. I then moved on to a Lee 4 hole press when they became available and then on to the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. This latest Lee press does what I mistakenly expected the Lyman T-Mag press to do for me.

Never really had a reason to pursue fixing the T-Mag after that other than I hate to see equipment go to waste. Last year I thought about converting it into a single stage press dedicated to making PB gas checks. But then I remembered I have an old Herters Super #3 that I could use for that purpose. So for now it just sits collecting dust. I don't own a boat or I'd have a use for it.

I got my T-Mag press in a kit that included a Lyman scale from a large Gun shop in my area. It was sold to me as new and the box and all items looked new with no signs of use. I assume it was just new old stock. I was really surprised that in less that 2 1/2 years that the press would have been discontinued and no turret bolt available for it.

Lyman did say I could return the press to them at my expense with no guarantee that they would make any allowance toward a new press. Since I already knew they increased the diameter of the bolt and added an adjustable turret support on the next model of T-Mag press I felt like they already recognized the weakness in their original design. The whole experience just left me with a bad feeling toward Lyman. It was almost as though they simply wanted to deny they ever made the model I had and then shifted gears to an attitude that it was an ancient design so how could I expect they'd stock parts for it. I realized the score when they said the only way I could get the part I needed would be to have a machinist make it for me.

Glad you all like the ones you have. Maybe I'm just hard on presses, but then they would not have increased the size of the bolt and added a much improved turret support if it was only me and not a weakness in their press design...........Mike

I can't comment on the T-Mag II because I haven't seen one of them other than what I can pull up off the internet. I would assume that there are the standard tolerances maybe + or - .010 just a guess. Mine may have less clearance than some out there ...who knows. I've run 45acp thru it as well as 357 and 38. The only challenge to it has been 38's with a FL resizing die that isn't carbide. I thought I was going to break something after the first casing so I purchased a carbide FL resizing die and the problem went away. Since starting this thread I have conducted measurements to see how much distortion of the turret I can get when exercising the press and I get about .002 movement in the turret. I don't consider this to be a problem and I have probably run several thousand rounds thru this used press after purchasing it and I'm guessing the previous owner ran a lot thru it.

I simply don't have an answer as to why yours trashed. Are you using a carbide FL resizing die for your calibers? How tight is your turret? Is the two piece collar a tight fit? The retaining piece fit tight?

Spector
11-29-2013, 09:13 PM
At the time the press broke the first time I was neck-sizing 35 REM in Lee Collet Dies. The 2nd time it broke I think I was sizing 45 ACP in my Lee Carbide dies. The turret always did tip more than I thought it should. The adjustable turret support they added later would change the stresses on the bolt significantly. My split collar and the collar with the O-ring in it that slipped on over the split collar seemed to fit the turret bolt fine.

Maybe the specs were sloppy on mine. I have no way of knowing as I cannot test shims now. I am very happy with my Lee Classic Cast Turret now. It is rare that I can use could more than 4 holes in a turret and I prefer the option of auto advance of the turret when I desire that feature rather being stuck with just manual advance of the turret.

Lyman has used heavy cast frames all along and that is a major reason I chose them in the first place coupled with the turret. I just didn't bother to anticipate the stresses on the turret bolt. Years ago a guy who owns another major gun shop in my area (hint...he's been on TV recently in a reality series) ran down Lee products when I was first starting into reloading. He sold mostly RCBS and Lyman so I initially avoided Lee. Now that Lee has switched over to the heavy cast frames and changed a few other features on their presses I believe they easily have the better turret press for the money.

The last time I checked a Lyman cast iron 6 hole turret cost about 3 times more than the Lee aluminum 4 hole turret and the Lee is turret is fully supported. I have more confidence in the Lee and it fits my needs better. I just wish I'd skipped the unpleasantness of owning the old style Lyman T-Mag entirely and Lyman's customer service, or lack of it. I find even Lyman's 500 powder scale to be lacking, but I have made modifications to it so it will work for me.

I have some serviceable T-Mag parts if anyone needs them. If someone wants to work at removing the bolt stub even the press frame is serviceable. I believe I still have all the other parts around here somewhere including the plastic primer catcher. I no longer have the two turrets though as I did sell them to an acquaintance for 1/2 price. The price of shipping should do it and I'll see it it will fit in a USPS flat rate box. Anyone feel adventuresome? Add an adjustable turret support to the rear of the frame and it should be adequate to most reloading tasks.

I did like the press until it broke and even after fixing it never dreamed it would again break. But it did......Mike

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 09:29 AM
There seems to be two different version of the T-Mag press. One with the small lower and one with the larger.

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Both are listed as T-Mag presses. The small less hearty verson shown on the left is also shown on page 201 of the Lyman's 46th edition reloading manual. I have the one on the right.

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 12:16 PM
At the time the press broke the first time I was neck-sizing 35 REM in Lee Collet Dies. The 2nd time it broke I think I was sizing 45 ACP in my Lee Carbide dies. The turret always did tip more than I thought it should. The adjustable turret support they added later would change the stresses on the bolt significantly. My split collar and the collar with the O-ring in it that slipped on over the split collar seemed to fit the turret bolt fine.

Maybe the specs were sloppy on mine. I have no way of knowing as I cannot test shims now. I am very happy with my Lee Classic Cast Turret now. It is rare that I can use could more than 4 holes in a turret and I prefer the option of auto advance of the turret when I desire that feature rather being stuck with just manual advance of the turret.

Lyman has used heavy cast frames all along and that is a major reason I chose them in the first place coupled with the turret. I just didn't bother to anticipate the stresses on the turret bolt. Years ago a guy who owns another major gun shop in my area (hint...he's been on TV recently in a reality series) ran down Lee products when I was first starting into reloading. He sold mostly RCBS and Lyman so I initially avoided Lee. Now that Lee has switched over to the heavy cast frames and changed a few other features on their presses I believe they easily have the better turret press for the money.

The last time I checked a Lyman cast iron 6 hole turret cost about 3 times more than the Lee aluminum 4 hole turret and the Lee is turret is fully supported. I have more confidence in the Lee and it fits my needs better. I just wish I'd skipped the unpleasantness of owning the old style Lyman T-Mag entirely and Lyman's customer service, or lack of it. I find even Lyman's 500 powder scale to be lacking, but I have made modifications to it so it will work for me.

I have some serviceable T-Mag parts if anyone needs them. If someone wants to work at removing the bolt stub even the press frame is serviceable. I believe I still have all the other parts around here somewhere including the plastic primer catcher. I no longer have the two turrets though as I did sell them to an acquaintance for 1/2 price. The price of shipping should do it and I'll see it it will fit in a USPS flat rate box. Anyone feel adventuresome? Add an adjustable turret support to the rear of the frame and it should be adequate to most reloading tasks.

I did like the press until it broke and even after fixing it never dreamed it would again break. But it did......Mike

What do you want for whats left of it?

Spector
11-30-2013, 09:33 PM
The cost is for shipping everything in a flat rate USPS box as I stated. You can just have the press. Let me look around here and see if I have all the parts to it. Since my wife died I haven't gotten any better about how I store things. I know exactly where the press itself is, but I'll need to root around and find the broken off bolt and the plastic primer catcher. The spit collar and the ring that fits down over the collar should still be on the top of the broken off turret bolt. If I can find it all I'll get your address and ship it to you. If you agree it is all there when you receive it then just send me a check for the shipping.

I just hope if you fix it it proves to be reliable for you. If you can bore out the frame and install a bolt with a larger diameter threaded section and fabricate and adjustable turret support at the rear of the press then it should be fine. Just don't curse me if it gives you fits. ha ha

You know it would probably just be simpler to buy the new bolt that Lyman uses on their updated model T-Mag and drill and tap for that. Then buy the parts from them for their adjustable turret support and figure out how to adapt those parts to this press.

Still simpler though would be to just buy a good Lee Classic Cast Turret press. Extra turrets are much lower in cost and they are fully supported by the press.

If none of that interests you and you have a boat you might still find some use for it. I'll try to find all of it tomorrow and contact you to get your address............Mike

myg30
12-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I have one of the older Spar T presses. I don't think back then they expected you to change the turret like on the newer ones ? The set screw saved your die settings. Its a work horse fer sure. When I got mine, I did shim to take out a little of the play in the turret.
I have some older books, Ill look tonight to see if they offered any "Extra Turrets" so to keep your die settings. I think the last thing I read about these were that you had the ability of 3 rifle [2die] or 2 pistol [3 die] to use at a time. Remember this was before using the FCD and powder thru funnels if my memory's correct. Before speed loading !

Mike

jmorris
12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Actually I purchased a cheap Lee 3 hole turret press just to get me by until I could get my T-Mag press fixed. As light weight as it was the Lee impressed me with it's design.

By the dollar or pound, I think the lee turret presses are very hard to beat.

6bg6ga
12-03-2013, 07:09 PM
For what is worth...

Sent an email to Lyman asking about the T-Mag.

This is their reply..

Joe,
No just the knurled cap and the two keys are removable the turret bolt itse=
lf does not remove.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, ple=
ase do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to you=
r account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses=

Spector
12-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Still looking for the knurled cap and the two keys, the steel index washer that fits under the turret, the plastic primer catcher and the primer arm for my old T-Mag press. The broken off section of the turret bolt is still in the knurled cap. I will include that for dimensional purposes in case you want to fabricate a new one. I know where everything else is located. I moved the press from the box I stored it in for years. I put the press in one location and I'm pretty sure I put the rest of the parts into a large plastic Zip-Loc bag. Since my wife died everything is in a state of flux in my home. Stuff stacked everywhere. I've been looking for these parts and will search new places today............Mike

PS....email sent to 6bq6qa

6bg6ga
12-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Mike

I will have to pass on the T-Mag. Just received notice my health insurance at work is going up $304.00 a month so I have no extra spending money now for any activities or toys. I'm strapped.

Iammello
01-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I have the same TMag Press..... This may help with those of you looking for the bolt.

From Lyman :We no longer have the shoulder bolt for that T-Mag Press. The newer style will not work.
Try calling Mr. Ed Sager. He makes and sells parts for older Lyman Tools.
816-628-0020
Or.... This may or may not help..... You will need to get the size of the shoulder bolt and try the web site below. I also need this bolt... Mine is not broke but seems to be bent :-(
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=q2fmi1

Iammello
01-01-2014, 08:12 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=q2fmi1.... Try this or ......Try calling Mr. Ed Sager. He makes and sells parts for older Lyman Tools.

816-628-0020

DLCTEX
01-01-2014, 11:17 PM
The press has gone through a number of modifications. I think they sold me three different ones and they still didn't fit. The press sits unused 8 years later. They could take lessons from RCBS.

6bg6ga
01-02-2014, 07:58 AM
The press has gone through a number of modifications. I think they sold me three different ones and they still didn't fit. The press sits unused 8 years later. They could take lessons from RCBS.

Actually there were two different machines ( check out the pictures I posted in a prior post) and there are two different designs. The older design uses the non-removable center bolt assembly and the newer press uses the simple screw in center bolt.

Just finished measuring the center portion of mine so that anyone needing to make on on the lathe will be able to do so easier. The bottom portion of the center bolt is 1.085 high and measures .748-.750 diameter and the next step is .500 high and measures .500 diameter.

Possibly one reason for press failure is not putting the machined spacer back on the turret before re-installing the split collar assembly. Measuring my spacer washer I find that A) its machined for thickness and the thickness may be a way of adjusting the amount of play in the vertical plain. My measures .104 for thickness.

I don't think I would opt for a shoulder bolt I believe I would turn the assembly on a lathe for a more precise fit. Shoulder bolts are usually + or - .005 for dims.

6bg6ga
01-02-2014, 08:02 AM

Its just like buying a car. Each has features of their own. Having had RCBS presses before I wasn't all that thrilled with them. They do make great dies however. I opted for the turret because it has the capability to hold up to two calibers. To each his own.