PDA

View Full Version : Pro 2000 auto index plate travel problem

johnd5412
11-27-2013, 01:16 AM
hi folks,

i did a search but no dice. my plate recently will not progress the last 1/8" in travel after the cam releases when i pull the ram up. i made sure all components are clean of debris and loose powder but that didnt help advance the plate that last little bit. is it possible my detent spring is getting worn out? i have at least 10k rounds on the press, maybe 15k. thoughts?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-28-2013, 05:50 PM
How long has it been since you took things apart, cleaned and lubed them? I would start there. I put a small bit of lube on my detent ball. I use a grease so it will stay there. I also lube the advance cams and the roller arm.

The second thing I think may be a problem is a loose bolt allowing the cam to come out of adjustment. There are two cams, both made of stamped steel, that the advance arm (the arm with the cylinder roller) rides on. It is possible these are out of adjustment. I doubt do to wear, though if not lubed, they could wear. I would check if these are loose. One is attached to the other, so if one is out of adjustment, so is the other. You can get the gauges to check these from RCBS for free.

I'm leaning against it being a detent spring off the top of my head, because a worn spring would be more loose, allowing your plate to advance more easily/too fast.

VHoward
11-28-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm just curious if the OP has called RCBS and let them trouble shoot with him over the phone. They will take care of you whether it is just adjustments or you need new parts.

johnd5412
12-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Copy all gents and great suggestions. I give the press a thorough cleaning every 2K rounds but the latest cleaning did nothing to help. I also checked the cams and all is well. It may be that the ball is falling off the detent spring as I tighten down the shell plate...I'm going to try your grease trick and see if that helps; otherwise, I'll call RCBS. Thanks!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-02-2013, 02:58 AM
John,

Are you putting any lube on the roller arm or the ball currently? I'm talking a very thin coat of grease is what I use. Another thought I had was to check the linkage and the ram for any oddball wear. I do know there is one part in the RCBS they consider a wear part, but I am pretty meticulous about cleaning/lubing and haven't seen any visible signs of wear anywhere.

And it could be a worn spring. I remember when I had troubles with mine early one they sent me a spring with a different recoil rate and that did change the timing for the better. So yours may indeed be having issues. After all, a ridiculous amount of nuts, bolts, springs, etc. are no longer made in the United States and cannot be purchased from vendors except as foreign made parts.

Thank you democrat corporate taxes for that one.