PDA

View Full Version : Any Input using Plumbers Furnace appreciated

44 WCF
11-26-2013, 09:29 PM
A young shooter, reloader and hope to be caster has a chance to buy a propane plumbers furnace with 3ea 20lb cylinders, and a dutch oven for $200.00. He asked how these units work for smelting lead WW and other scrap, I've never used one and would like any input, in particular safety issues with these units. He took these photos.
Thanks in advance,
44 WCF

Alan in Vermont
11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Jump on it! I've run a lot of metal through mine. That's not a dutch oven, it's a made for the purpose lead pot.

country gent
11-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Have him check to see if the tanks are up to date and can be filled/exchanged. These pots are very usefull for all aspects of casting. You need to watch the temp with them as most are way over powered and can over heat the metal pretty quick

bangerjim
11-27-2013, 12:49 AM
It is made for one purpose only.......MELTING LEAD!!!!!! Go fir it.

I use one all the time. Heats my big furnace pot that is mede for it up really fast. You have to watch the temp as stated!

Much better and faster than all those old camp cook stoves and turkey friers.

banger

44 WCF
11-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone, heck here the darn bottles new and filled are about $40 each. Will let him now.

imashooter2
11-27-2013, 08:53 AM
For $200, you can buy a turkey fryer, a Dutch oven and a whole bunch of lead.

Be careful with the bottles. A lot of those units are for the old threads and you might have trouble getting them filled.

KYCaster
11-27-2013, 10:02 AM
I think the expiration date applies only to grill tanks, not to single purpose tanks like these.

Most suppliers have the adapters to fill these tanks.

Use a soap solution to check for leaks at the valve and welded seams. Make sure the burner to tank seal is in good condition, still flexible and is lubricated with a non-flammable grease or pipe joint compound. Get a good valve wrench; a 1/4 inch socket extension should fit....the longer the better....it's a bit frightening when you have flame coming out around a leaking gasket and your valve wrench is a small vice grip.

If you have any doubts about the safety of the tanks, find the company in your area that supplies propane for fork lifts; they should be able to inspect and repair them for you.

Good luck.
Jerry

fivegunner
11-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I have two that look like the picture you posted, I did not trust them when I used a bigger pot , I thought it might get bumped and fall over, so went to the proplane gas place and bought the flat base that sits on the floor , just unscrew your old top and screw it on . I think it was about $40.00, I also bought a 15 foot hose and regulator. still have them for small batches , as now I use the big gas furnace that holds 350LB`s it`s pictured in my avatar:castmine::castmine:

Hawkeye45
11-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I have used one exclusively since I started casting. It has run over 3000 lb on the original tank.
As has been stated above, you have to watch the temp of your melt, it gets hot fast. Low flame works best.

Mr. Ed

leadbutt
11-27-2013, 11:00 PM
I thought my turkey frier was the way to go but after seeing this furnace and readin this thread im wanting a furnace now. :groner:

L. Bottoms

44 WCF
11-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Still discussing get tanks inspected with seller, but 3000 lbs on one 20lbs cylinder by Hawkeye has upped the urgency to get this deal closed.

Longone
11-28-2013, 09:01 AM
A friend gave me his old furnace like the one pictured above. The tanks are the real issue as the new tanks (at least around here) are all side discharge not the top discharge, so finding tanks that will work like in the pic might be a problem. I had a 1/4" plate made that slips over the valve and uses the existing 3 bolts to bolt the plate to the main housing. From there we welded three 1/2" pipe couplings to the bottom of the plate and attached three pipes for legs. The local propane Co. fitted me up with a regulator and hose that screwed into the fitting that used to screw into the tank.
Now we melt lead FAST!!!! As stated you need to watch your temp as WW's melt quickly.

Good luck with your project.

Longone

Patrick L
11-28-2013, 03:57 PM
I have one of those, and they are great. Only problem is, you really can't change tanks, and these are so old they don't have overfill protection valves, so they can't be refilled (at least not here in the Peoples Republic of New York). I have found old timers who will refill it out of contempt for the new laws, but those guys are getting harder and harder to find.

On the plus side, like others have said they melt fast and run forever. I kept a journal the last time I had it filled, I ran it for well over 15 hours and it still had gas in it when I refilled it this part summer. I subsequently purchased a weed burner, using that in conjunction with the plumbers furnace (heat from bottom AND top) is SUPER FAST and therefore my illegal gas lasts even longer.

John Allen
11-28-2013, 04:51 PM
They do make an overflow adapter for these tanks. My propane guy says they are available.

dikman
11-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Fivegunner's idea is a good one, I reckon. Fit the melting pot to a more stable platform and make an adapter hose to run it off a standard gas cylinder (separate to the pot). Might be a bit of messing around, but it seems to me it would be worth it.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-29-2013, 06:21 AM
As a matter of safety, always set that pot up on a level hard surface to preclude ANY chance of a tip over event.

BvT

altheating
11-29-2013, 08:55 AM
I have the same furnace. As far as filling the propane tank, take it to a filling station that fills industrial tanks. (welding supply ) They won't give you a hard time about filling such tanks. Watch the temperature. It's pretty eery to see a pot of cherry red glowing lead in the pot. A flat level hard surface is a must. You can place cement blocks around the tank for added safety against tipping.

Spruce
11-29-2013, 03:07 PM
I have 2 also, and have a 3 leg cast base as was mentioned, so I use regular 20# tanks. The base is the way to go if you can find one.

I have a needle valve screwed into base, and hose screws onto valve. I can adjust heat to smelt or cast and really like casting with this setup. Prop molds on pot for heat up and place hollow point pin behind thermometer clip to keep warm works very well.

A needle valve to control heat is the way to go.

cwheel
11-29-2013, 03:07 PM
I've had and used one of these for about 40 years. Mine has been converted by removing torch part from the tank and mounting to a chunk of channel iron for a base. Hose and regulator only at the tank, regulator at the tank and a 8' hose to the torch base. The shroud is removable on mine for use with larger pots. I have 2 ea. 10lb pots + a 25 lb. and a 50 lb. I'll do my smelting on this setup mostly using the 25 lb. pot. When the mix is to my liking, I cast into small 2 lb. ingots for use in a electric bottom pour for casting. Yes, you do have to be careful not to overheat, and it melts this stuff in a hurry. It's easy to get a batch for casting with 3-4 melts that goes a long way casting. Best part is that those larger batches make more consistent boolits in larger runs. Not much propane used as I would expect for that output of BTU's. Grab it, but think about converting to a stand alone with a hose to get it well away from the tank. This setup has been used in my family since before WW2 and I think will still be in use long after I'm gone.
Chris

leadman
12-01-2013, 12:28 AM
I have one that is probably 50 years old. I have to search around to get it filled. It sounds like a jet engine when it is cranked up!

It might be cheaper and easier to buy a turkey frier on sale and a dutch oven from Harbor Freight. I've seen the friers for around $40 to $60 lately.

cwheel
12-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Sure would be cheaper to buy a turkey fryer, but these things put out at least twice the heat. Key to getting a tank mounted one is removing it from the old tanks that can't be filled anymore. Use a new tank with a adjustable regulator at the tank, about 8 foot of hose. Couple of fittings from your propane dealer and you are set. Chunk of 8" U channel for a mount and now the flame is well away from any possible leaks at the tank. I still like the drip-o-matic lee bottom pour for the actual casting. Those plumbers pots sure make quick work out of the smelting process getting lots of lead mixed and ready for use.
Chris