PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant draws blood!!

MGD 45
11-18-2007, 11:39 AM
EMC45 took this buck last night with his old Mosin Nagant that he's been reloading for....

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r37/MGD45/EvanDeer.jpg

Entry Wound
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r37/MGD45/bulletentry.jpg

Heart shot!!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r37/MGD45/deerheart.jpg

kidmma
11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
That's pretty disgusting.....

Did you cook that heart yet?:-D

Nice shot!
Scott

Three44s
11-18-2007, 12:19 PM
OH no! ...... I like heart!

Oh well!

Great job with a RUSKIE!

Three 44s

Shiloh
11-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Good Stuff!!

I can't wait till my wife gets home to show her. :-D

All this after Roxy, our 3 year old rat terrier, got her first bunny last night. She still hears the shrieks!!

Shiloh :castmine:

waksupi
11-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Cool Beans!

KevMT
11-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I shot my first deer with a sporterized MN that I bought for $30 when I was 14. I only weighed about 80 pounds then and the light weight and heavy recoil of full power factory loads taught me the fine skill of flinching which I still posess today.

Congratsts on your buck. Looks like great peformance. What boolit were you using?

Kev

armoredman
11-18-2007, 03:42 PM
It's only disgusting until it's sizzling over a campfire. :) Nice work with a fine old rifle.

EMC45
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
BTW this is my FIRST deer ever!! I have killed a hog, rabbits and more squirrels than I can remember, but this is my first deer! MGD45 came by and shot these pics about an hour after I dropped 'em. Here's the funny thing, the rifle was given to me, it is a New England Westinghouse with a 1915 Pat. date. The guy who gave it to me is a local detective that works with MGD45. Well anyway he (Tony) is a animal rights guy and a veggie. As a matter of fact the pants I was wearing were given to me by him as well. If you're reading this Tony remember we're still cool. Right? The load is a 150 gr Speer Spire SP over 52 gr. IMR 4350 on a Graf case. I have yet to load cast for this, but I will soon. BTW the deer was about 20 yds from the bottom of my stand I aimed and gently squeezed and he dropped. Didn't even take a step. Very cool.

EMC45
11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
P.S. The first thing I did when I climbed down was root around in the leaves and try to find my brass! Didn't even look at the deer! I couldn't find the brass and it was the first firing for that piece. I just got it out of the Graf bag the other day!:(

trickyasafox
11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
tragic about the loss of brass! when they drop right away, the trick is to cycle the brass into your hand :)

EMC45
11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Tried the brass in the hand trick, but I wanted to forcefully eject due in part to a tight spot in my bolt. And an update if I may again- The deer was only 10 yds and not 20 like I said earlier. I walked it off last night. Oh well, dead is dead!

kycrawler
11-22-2007, 01:03 AM
10 yards is almost bayonet range with an m 91 :-D congrats on the deer

Ricochet
11-22-2007, 12:08 PM
If you had an M91 or M91-30, you might be able to reach out and poke him, and save the boolit.

EMC45
11-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I think I may have burned his fur with the blast![smilie=1:

joatmon
11-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Covered in blood up to the elbows, oh how I remember my first deer! Nice job!!

EMC45
11-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Killed another one yesterday. It was a small buck. Thought it was a doe, because the antlers were busted off. Oh well the freezer didn't mind one bit. It was about 25 yards off. I shot behind the shoulder and he booked! Ran about 100 yds and piled up. The shot was angle through both his lungs and clipped the top of the stomach and acorns were spilled all over his insides. That was kinda weird. The bullet ripped through both lungs and that's what turned off his lights. The first heart shot last week kind of spoiled me with the fact he fell right over. But on the other hand, I was only in the stand for 4 minutes before yesterday's walked out[smilie=1: Oh yeah this was a Mosin kill! AGAIN!!

corvette8n
11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Congrats!

I have Mosin M38 carbine and with surplus ammo I get a two foot flame, kill and cook at the same time LOL:-D

txpete
11-30-2007, 06:13 PM
hmmmm I have never had a runner with my 375 and 280 cast:mrgreen::mrgreen:.
glad you got another one.
pete

piwo
12-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Congrats on the deer!

That heart shot will not necessarily put them strait down every time either. I've opened up deer where the heart was no longer attached to anything, yet they ran 65 yards. To be honest, they were probably alive for 5 or 7 seconds, but a deer with 4 wheel drive and frightened can travel VERY far without taking a breath....... It never ceases to amaze me how far they can go at times, and at others pile up like a load of bricks.....

I've got a closet full of Mosin Nagant rifles, just haven't hunted with them yet. Equal in performance to the 30-06, it will kill anything on this continent (though it wouldn't be my first choice for griz....).

Congrats again, and good hunting!

NVScouter
12-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the deer!

That heart shot will not necessarily put them strait down every time either. I've opened up deer where the heart was no longer attached to anything, yet they ran 65 yards. To be honest, they were probably alive for 5 or 7 seconds, but a deer with 4 wheel drive and frightened can travel VERY far without taking a breath....... It never ceases to amaze me how far they can go at times, and at others pile up like a load of bricks.....

I've got a closet full of Mosin Nagant rifles, just haven't hunted with them yet. Equal in performance to the 30-06, it will kill anything on this continent (though it wouldn't be my first choice for griz....).

Congrats again, and good hunting!

Agreed. the Blacktail I shot this year's heart was twice as ruined as yours. He still managed to jump straight up, do a backflip and run/flop about 15yds. He however landed about 3 feet from the road so I guess I cant complain. I still remember packing my first deer off the mountain for hours to get near a road!

250-3000 100gr Hordany Interlock FYI in my Savage 99

nicholst55
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
You can always tell a dedicated handloader - looking for his brass, rather than his deer! BTDT.

Congrats - two deer this week! That's impressive, especially with a Mosin!