PDA

View Full Version : 1911 NM new sight options

300savage
11-26-2013, 07:29 PM
need to replace the sights with something that fuzzy 52 year old eyeballs can see clearer.
front sight is silver soldered into the top of slide, how big a job to replace both front and rear and what do you pistola guru's reccomend ?
as usual all advice is appreciated.
thanks

williamwaco
11-26-2013, 07:54 PM
I use clip on reading glasses over my eyeglasses.

Next step is
http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

MtGun44
11-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Lyman Hawkeye to the rescue. Don't do anything until you try it.

Every shooter over 45 that has ever tried mine has bought one from me or
bought one on their own. I have sold more than 20 at the range, just keeping a
spare in my range box for when somebody asks me about it. You won't
believe what it will do for cleaning up all the hair that has grown on those
sights over the years.

Bill

Scharfschuetze
11-27-2013, 08:41 PM
What you should really consider is a trip to the optometrist to get a set of "shooting glasses" made. Tell the optomatrist to set the diopeter correction between reading and far vision. MY personal distance is 34" and that probably would work for anyone but a tall and lanky shooter of a very short person. They will not only sharpen up the pistol's front sight, but will help with your rifles too. Have then lenses made from impact resistant polycarbonate and you'll be set. Additional aids as discussed previously can then help as needed.

I've got a Merrit diopeter for bullseye shooting and it is very similar to the Lyman Hawkeye. As noted above, the design is quite useful for bullseye shooting where the sights are always at the same axis. For action shooting or position shooting they are not quite as useful.

At one time, a few bullseye shooters used an extended front sight (about 6") on their 1911s. While that looked inconvenient to me in my younger days, that might also be a help for us aging shooters.

300savage
11-28-2013, 12:39 AM
thank you all i sincerely appreciate all the good advice

ole 5 hole group
11-28-2013, 02:03 AM
A couple years ago I went to my optometrist and brought my 1911 with me and he made me a pair of "shooting glasses". My eyes can now see my sights and intended target, as well now, as when I was in my 20's, which was excellent.

I now use both the shooting glasses for iron sights and a red dot when I need to shoot to the very best of my ability at my age (70). The red dot removes the need to perfectly align your sights for that good shot - just put the delta tip or red dot on your intended target and magic happens most of the time.:) I milled my slide to get a normal sight picture from the red dot when I bring the pistol up to acquire the target - if you don't mill the slide you will have to work a little at acquiring the dot rapidly.

There are a lot of damn good bullseye shooters shooting red dots and most of them have perfect eyesight to boot, so there is probably an advantage to some in their use.

BD
11-29-2013, 04:27 PM
I have a pair of shooting glasses, (need a new pair now) that are polycarbonate bifocals. I am right eye dominant, so the left maine lens is distance, the right main lens is front sight and the lower lenses on both sides are reading. They work great. It takes about 2 minutes to get oriented when I first put them on, so I put them on before I drive to the range. Caspian is making an adjustable sight that looks real interesting. It uses an interchangeable rear leaf which is available with a round aperture , a diamond aperture or a plain notch. I'm thinking I'll try a set on my games gun this year.
BD