PDA

View Full Version : Question about optics for WASR 10/63 rifle

Animal
11-26-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm new to this rifle and have recently only realized that it is much more accurate than I originally expected it to be. I purchased this rifle as an 'all purpose rifle' for hunting 4 legged critters, defending against 2 legged predators and good old fashioned fun.

It is the only rifle I own and thought that it would be a good platform for just about any niche that would require decent accuracy at 100yds or less. I took it out for the 4th time yesterday for accuracy testing and more honeymooning. I was quiet shocked when I managed a 2 in group at 50yds with iron sights. Maybe this is normal accuracy for the old wasr, but I didn't think this rifle mixed with my shooting experience could obtain a group this tight. I figured center-mass shots between 50-100 yrds would be considered decent; I was wrong. I've underestimated this rifle and my skill to shoot it accurately.

So now I have a problem. Although this is good news, I can't help but wonder if it would ever be necessary to purchase a quality bolt-action rifle. I had planned on getting a Remington 700 chambered in .308 at some point to fit the 100 yard accuracy niche (can't imagine I'd ever need anything for over 100yds, but it is always a bonus). Now that I know my trusty wasr has the potential to fit the bill...

1. Is it justifiable to purchase a bolt-action rifle?
2. Is it safe to say a good optic with good ammo will be just as effective at 100yds?

Each firearm/bow I own fits a nitche. My collection is geared toward survival (in white tail deer country, Georgia), defense against intruders, SHTF defense and personal protection from thugs on the street.

I came across this optic: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/posp-4x24-400m-rangefinder-ak-detail.html?Itemid=0

I was totally against spending money on optics for this rifle because of its reputation as "not an accurate rifle", but now I'm wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment over spending big bucks on a Remy 700.

1. I like the fact that it is an optic designed and 'battle proven' for my rifle.
2. I don't want a bunch of TactiCOOL garbage on my baby, I want this rifle to remain in its WASR parameters... not all the Tapco pig make-up.
3. The optic does not interfere with the use of the iron sights.
4. Quick removal and installation
5. The price point seems very justifiable if accuracy is on point at 100yds.

Is anyone familiar with this sight system? and what are your thoughts on it for phasing out my bolt-action rifle niche?

HATCH
11-26-2013, 04:22 PM
You got lucky.... WASR is hit or miss on getting a good shooting one. (pun not intended)

Now your questions.

Depends on how much 7.62x39 ammo you got..
Most 7.62x39 is imported. There is a bunch in country (warehouses and private hands) but only a handful of expensive US makers of ammo.

it can be. Generally speaking the AK was designed as a "man accurate" rifle. That means that at 100 yards you can shoot a man. It isn't mean to be pinpoint hit a golf ball at 100yard rifle by any means.

Now with that said......... I have have shot several out of the box bone stock AK rifles that have done just that.
Hell, I have a krinkov (SBR) that is 5.45x39 and it can hit a clay pigeon at 100yards using open sites.
The optic you picked out is a good one. It is typical of all the russian/bulgarian import optics you will find.
I would lean more towards getting a nice Kobra red dot site instead. something like -> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=377003778

But to answer your main question.... Yes that site will work just fine. I got one pretty close to it on a long barrel milled reciever AK I built.
I would rather spend more money on ammo then another rifle...

Animal
11-26-2013, 04:56 PM
HATCH, I couldn't agree more about being lucky. I got the rifle used and in great shape with 4 metal 30rd mags, 2 metal 10rd mags and a OD chest pouch for holding 3 mags for 325 bucks and a box of large pistol primers. I've got some real good friends!

Yes, spending money on ammo is priority over rifle upgrades. Thanks for pointing out that Red Dot optic. I'm unsure about using Red Dots at the moment, but I feel better knowing I can spend much less than I thought for a good system that is high quality. I've been looking at Tritium for a possible low-light sighting system. I like the fact that it keeps the original iron sight but adds more illumination.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Animal,

Depending on your age (men over 40 with eyes that are changing have trouble seeing iron sights), you may find you are just about as accurate out to one hundred yards with the sights that are on the rifle vs. spending money on optics. For that short distance, I would spend the money on ammunition and practice shooting at the distances I planned to use the rifle.

That said, in low light conditions, a good low power illuminated scope can help you identify the target and separate it from the surrounding brush for a kill shot.

On tritium, be aware it give out in about ten years, depending. Lots of my buddies who jumped on the tritium bandwagon when they first came out spending big bucks are now having to replace those sights or have them renewed with a good bit of inconvenience. Makes me glad I stuck with batteries. Those are lots easier to replace.

Multigunner
11-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I used to think 100 yards was quite a distance, now shooting at anything less than 300 yards just isn't particularly satisfying.
Haven't tried my WASR 10/63 at long range yet, but found it could put bullets in the same hole at close range.
The front sight base was canted, as many of these are, but not so far that I couldn't adjust it for windage.
It hits dead on with the front post very far to the left.
Any complaints on the accuracy of these are likely due to canted sights, or lousy trigger pull. I'm used to lousy triggers so it doesn't bother me.
Mine has the base on the left side for the quick detach military scope mount. One day I may mount a compact scope rated for autoloaders on it. Some air rifle scopes intended for heavy spring piston rifles are considered best for blowback rifles or gas operated rifles that have heavy bolt carriers.

No reason not to get a good bolt action rifle. Once you've tried your hand at longer ranges you may find 100 yards to be child's play.